The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Can you clarify, I don’t get your point. This thread is a lot of things, but funny?

LOL can also mean Lots Of Love.  And considering these evil schools, and all these unmarked graves, maybe Love is what was missing?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

What is your point?

My grandfather is in an unmarked grave, it was marked when he was buried, and most importantly the family knows which plot he is in; however a decision was made not to replace the marker when the first one was lost in a wind storm.

The point is when the term "unmarked grave" is used a lot of people will think of mass graves  or assume that an unknown person was just buried.

Every single "unmarked" grave may well have been marked and recorded.

Religious ceremonies, almost certainly Catholic, may well have occurred at the time of burial as well.

Horrible what happened, and I fully support tracking down those that participated in wrong doing.

They should be charged with whatever law works.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

My grandfather is in an unmarked grave, it was marked when he was buried, and most importantly the family knows which plot he is in; however a decision was made not to replace the marker when the first one was lost in a wind storm.

The point is when the term "unmarked grave" is used a lot of people will think of mass graves  or assume that an unknown person was just buried.

Religious ceremonies, almost certainly Catholic, may well have occurred at the time of burial as well.

Horrible what happened, and I fully support tracking down those that participated in wrong doing.

They should be charged with whatever law works.

The article states that these are unmarked and undocumented graves of children. I'm not sure why any distinction needs to be made? Your comment reminded me of many of the other comments I've been reading around the web downplaying the significance of these findings. It serves no purpose other than to muddy the waters on this matter. To be honest I thought it was a little odd coming from you 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

undocumented graves of children

My bad, I did not bother to read that article, and took it as just more of the same. Undocumented graves is new to me.

There is definitely a distinction that should be made between unmarked, and undocumented.

Ultimately I think we should be a whole lot more concerned with all the apparent needless death, than what happened after these poor people died.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Will again mention that unmarked grave now, does not equal unmarked, unknown grave then.

Grave markers rot if made of wood over time.

Litterally the first line of the link says they were unmarked and undocumented. I'm not sure why you keep harping on this idea, peticularly when the link states that they were undocumented.

12 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Litterally the first line of the link says they were unmarked and undocumented. I'm not sure why you keep harping on this idea, peticularly when the link states that they were undocumented.

Undocumented graves just shows how evil these schools were.  Were the parents even informed their children died?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Undocumented graves just shows how evil these schools were.  Were the parents even informed their children died?  

From what I can gather reading this article and a few others coming out today, not in the unmarked and undocumented graves. 121 deaths were reported and documented from this school. Many of the deaths were from drowning due to the schools location on a island and children trying to get away. From what I can gather the 160 unmarked were not documented and over doubled the original death toll of this peticular "school". These numbers are seeming to be pretty consistent in all the schools. The undocumented deaths are slightly higher then the documented, meaning whatever the original death toll of these schools were, we can double it and then some.

Edited by shayster007

On 7/6/2021 at 3:29 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Seriously though, whether this belongs here or in the "Liberal Election" thread, JT has appointed our first ever Indigenous Governor General:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/who-is-mary-simon-canadas-first-indigenous-governor-general/ar-AALQvfY?li=AAggNb9

More in the link

I said that should happen when the last one got turfed.

Edited by Violator

Just now, shayster007 said:

From what I can gather reading this article and a few others coming out today, not in the unmarked and undocumented graves. 121 deaths were reported and documented from this school. Many of the deaths were from drowning due to the schools location on a island and children trying to get away. From what I can gather the 160 unmarked were not documented and over doubled the original death toll of this peticular "school".

Yes, I read that too.  But why weren’t the children’s parents (in all cases) informed of their child’s death?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, I read that too.  But why weren’t the children’s parents (in all cases) informed of their child’s death?  

I feel like you're asking questions about common decency and respect when there was none.

Why where children forcibly removed from their homes and sent to these schools in the first place? Why did children get stolen from family's and forced into foster care during the sixties scoop. Why do dozens and dozens of indigenous communities still need to boil their water to drink it safely. We will never have a logical answer to simple questions regarding these horrifying acts, because there isn't one. 

Edited by shayster007
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

And posted 2 spots above your question was this post.:

So give me grief about not reading the link, fine;  but take a little for not reading my posts.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

My bad, I did not bother to read that article, and took it as just more of the same. Undocumented graves is new to me.

There is definitely a distinction that should be made between unmarked, and undocumented.

Ultimately I think we should be a whole lot more concerned with all the apparent needless death, than what happened after these poor people died.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

The media always uses language as a tool, and while the CBC has been forthcoming about the reality of the graves, free media is used against democracies for profit and geopolitical reasons. Skewed articles, misleading language and outright lies, putting it in an ignorant person's head that there's mass graves full of children being dug up. You ask a Russian or Chinese person this they will 100% think Canada is uncovering holocaust style mass graves, ask an American maybe 75% will say it, hell a lot of Canadians think this is the cast. It's an unfortunate reality from the internet increasing a persons capability for absorbing information, if you can overload someone with enough false information, they will take it as fact.

Edited by Kurgom