The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Great. Linking a 47 minute documentary without any opinions of your own on this. Not a single summary from you.

'This' type of information exchange is meaningless. If you don't understand what you're watching or reading, you are essentially regurgitating what you are told. That's not learning.

Wow bud you're a clown :picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

Dude, he posted a documentary on the subject at hand. This seems like the exact type of discussion that I was trying to open up by starting this thread. I started a thread so people can share information on subject that many Canadians have had enough exposure to. I for one will definitely be watching that video later when I have time.

He posted it just now as he was typing in this thread, so I highly doubt he even watched 10 minutes of this clip when he posted it.

This is no different than linking some joesmoe talking about COVID without actually understanding what was in the documentary. That's what I have a problem with.

You can't just link this long video and walk away thinking you 'made a point'. I, too, will be watching this clip later on.

• RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t disagree with the first part of your statement but also most of it would not be possible without the “blessing” of Canada.

Unfortunately the church and the government have always been intertwined. We adopted that from the British.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Almost every country has a dark history, including Canada. I'm glad they're looking into these atrocities, and my hope is it leads to healing and forgiveness, real reconciliation. My worry is that it will do the opposite. 

I also worry that some may try to use it that way.

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wrong species here... I don't follow that :ph34r: not a trek person.

I'll give you a hint: It was all about "assimilation"....

Edit: and this....

A joke targeting the narrow audience of Star Trek fans who have also  operated a digital multimeter.: funny

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'll give you a hint: It was all about "assimilation"....

Edit: and this....

A joke targeting the narrow audience of Star Trek fans who have also  operated a digital multimeter.: funny

Vogon rip off.

Edited by bishopshodan
Vogons would use the phrase...'Resistance is useless'. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He posted it just now as he was typing in this thread, so I highly doubt he even watched 10 minutes of this clip when he posted it.

This is no different than linking some joesmoe talking about COVID without actually understanding what was in the documentary. That's what I have a problem with.

You can't just link this long video and walk away thinking you 'made a point'. I, too, will be watching this clip later on.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from. I'm just attempting to keep this as civil as possible because of how intense the subject matter is.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Do not be misled by media sensationalism; They are constantly using the term "mass" graves which, to me, implies many many bodies piled on top of one another like those found in the German concentration camps. What I believe they are really meaning is many many individual unmarked graves. The term unmarked while probably accurate is also IMO, a bit misleading as it was common practice to place wooden markers at the head of the burial site. Many of these markers would have degraded over time to the point of not being recognizable and probably eventually removed. I came across this first hand when researching my family tree. I have documentation showing that some of my relatives are buried in this small cemetery in rural Alberta but there are no markers to show where. Even in modern cemetery's there are numerous unmarked graves. The key to all of this would be the burial records that the church should have for the residential schools that were under their control.

Exactly. Mass graves occurred when Hitler's forces systemically cleared out villages, so we had hundreds, if not thousands, of people being killed at that moment, or in short succession.

The reality with residential schools did not operate in that same way. This was a long term experiment.

The poster that you're quoting has clearly made up his mind based on the news he has read though.

Edited by Dazzle

• MeanSeanBean changed the title to Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools
19 minutes ago, stawns said:

You can't gloss over that

I am not trying to.

We may never know the true extent of the abuse that happened at these residential schools and how many died because of that or how many died due to disease or malnutrition. Maybe the church records will reveal that and perhaps not. I do hope that we are able to establish the truth of what happened to those that were buried at these residential school sites

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am not trying to.

We may never know the true extent of the abuse that happened at these residential schools and how many died because of that or how many died due to disease or malnutrition. Maybe the church records will reveal that and perhaps not. I do hope that we are able to establish the truth of what happened to those that were buried at these residential school sites

I meant in general, not you specifically

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Exactly. Mass graves occurred when Hitler's forces systemically cleared out villages, so we had hundreds, if not thousands, of people being killed at that moment, or in short succession.

The reality with residential schools did not operate in that same way. This was a long term experiment.

The poster that you're quoting has clearly made up his mind based on the news he has read though.

a quick google search shows me that almost all news outlets are using "unmarked graves", not "mass graves"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

a quick google search shows me that almost all news outlets are using "unmarked graves", not "mass graves"

True; you are completely correct that almost all of them are specifically saying "unmarkeed graves". However, you can see some of the language that is being used, found under this article title: "Hundreds More Unmarked Graves Found at Former Residential School in Canada"

(article found here) https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/24/world/canada/indigenous-children-graves-saskatchewan-canada.html

For Canada’s 1.7 million Indigenous citizens, who make up about 4.9 percent of the population, the finding of yet another mass burial site is a visceral reminder of centuries of discrimination and abuse, which has led to intergenerational trauma among survivors of residential schools and their families.

Granted, this is only one article that say something like this.