The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

55 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Extremely counterproductive. I'm in a local Facebook group and there were multiple threads about Canada Day festivities that blew up into a virtual race war with hundreds of comments after a handful of indigenous people decided to start calling white people colonizers, and criminals, and rapists, and murders. And yes, for the record, you can still be 'proud' of this country and condemn what has happened - it's not as if if you're for the former then you condone the latter - that fallacious horse $&!# needs to stop right now.

Booo Hooo white people.  Life is so tough for us

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Chris Rock in concert .... "there ain’t a white man in this room that would change places with me. None of you would change places with me. And I’m rich! That’s how good it is to be white. There’s a white, one-legged busboy in here right now… that won’t change places with my black ass. He’s going, ”No, man, I don’t wanna switch. I wanna ride this white thing out. ”See where it takes me.”

yep, anyone can have it tough anywhere. White, black, brown, red, yellow, it doesn't matter. What's wrong is Stawns, and natives in this regard too, pretending like racist or derogatory remarks towards white people are lesser or irrelevant because white people have generally had an easier go

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Booo Hooo white people.  Life is so tough for us

The point is that increasing violence and militancy would probably hurt Indigenous people more than than white people, on average. 

Who is affected by burning down churches on reserves?  Mainly the Indigenous people who attend those churches.  If there is an escalating tit-for-tat of totem pole burnings for statue tear downs, the Indigenous are at a numbers disadvantage: The most $&!#ty, racist 10% of white people in Canada outnumber the entire Indigenous population, most of whom are sensible, peaceful people who want restorative justice to be achieved peacefully and for better relations with non-indigenous Canadians.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Chris Rock in concert .... "there ain’t a white man in this room that would change places with me. None of you would change places with me. And I’m rich! That’s how good it is to be white. There’s a white, one-legged busboy in here right now… that won’t change places with my black ass. He’s going, ”No, man, I don’t wanna switch. I wanna ride this white thing out. ”See where it takes me.”

Remember that is a joke...from more than 20 years ago.  Society has changed a bit since then.  I'm pretty sure you could find some poor white guys who would be fine with becoming a black star comedian/actor for $60 million.  Interestingly, there has been a rash of white women pretending to be black in academia in the last 10 years or so.  

45 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yep, anyone can have it tough anywhere. White, black, brown, red, yellow, it doesn't matter. What's wrong is Stawns, and natives in this regard too, pretending like racist or derogatory remarks towards white people are lesser or irrelevant because white people have generally had an easier go

It doesn't help your argument when you are the first person in this entire thread to use the term "natives". First Nations, Indigenous, First People... Any of those will do.

Edited by shayster007
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coda said:

The point is that increasing violence and militancy would probably hurt Indigenous people more than than white people, on average. 

Who is affected by burning down churches on reserves?  Mainly the Indigenous people who attend those churches.  If there is an escalating tit-for-tat of totem pole burnings for statue tear downs, the Indigenous are at a numbers disadvantage: The most $&!#ty, racist 10% of white people in Canada outnumber the entire Indigenous population, most of whom are sensible, peaceful people who want restorative justice to be achieved peacefully and for better relations with non-indigenous Canadians.  

I'll never advocate violence, but I certainly understand it from their perspective.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

It doesn't help your argument when you are the first person in this entire thread to use the term "natives". First Nations, Indigenous, First People... Any of those will do.

What about the many Canadians who identify as aboriginal and are light skinned?  Residential schools were born from an evil intent, which was to eliminate Indian peoples’ culture.  That’s the issue.  Should we allow this seeming need to focus on skin tone of people to interfere with the problems these schools caused, and how to repair their damage that is hopefully not beyond repair?   Lots and lots of white aboriginal people in Canada.    

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about the many Canadians who identify as aboriginal and are light skinned?  Residential schools were born from an evil intent, which was to eliminate Indian peoples’ culture.  That’s the issue.  Should we allow this seeming need to focus on skin tone of people to interfere with the problems these schools caused, and how to repair their damage that is hopefully not beyond repair?   Lots and lots of white aboriginal people in Canada.    

What about them? My great grandma was half First Nation and half Irish, she was pale with red hair. She was still Indigenous. I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact we no longer use the term "natives" and prefer to use more politically correct terminology when addressing out First People.

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

What about them? My great grandma was half First Nation and half Irish, she was pale with red hair. She was still Indigenous. I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact we no longer use the term "natives" and prefer to use more politically correct terminology when addressing out First People.

The issue here is the evil intentions and terrible harm of the residential schools, and not (or I think shouldn’t be) about the tone of peoples’ skin.  

Ok? But the tone of their skin was the reason why the horrible things happened. Further more I have no idea what this has to do with still using the term "natives" when describing Indigenous people, which is the only reason why I replyed in the first place.

• Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Ok? But the tone of their skin was the reason why the horrible things happened. Further more I have no idea what this has to do with still using the term "natives" when describing Indigenous people, which is the only reason why I replyed in the first place.

It is the same as using the term "Indian" to describe first people which I find insulting because they have no connection to India and as an actual Indian it can be rather confusing/frustrating.. 

As an Indian we have been forced to adopt Indo-Canadian instead.. which is just at incorrect as the other. 

I see no issue with the term "native" as first peoples were that before Europeans/others came.. and still are. 

Edited by drummer4now

10 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

It is the same as using the term "Indian" to describe first people which I find insulting because they have no connection to India and as an actual Indian it can be rather confusing/frustrating.. 

I see no issue with the term "native" as first peoples were that before Europeans/others came.. and still are. 

I'm basing my opinion off my family and friends who are First Nation who have now moved away from wanting to be referred to as native. In this conversation we are having, I felt it was very notable that it was the first time I heard someone reffering to First Nations as "natives" and it took 5 pages.

Out of curiosity, since you have now entered into this conversation, are you First Nations or Indian. I'm not quite sure if I interpreted your post correctly, but I read it as you are Indian, correct?

Edited by shayster007

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I'm basing my opinion off my family and friends who are First Nation who have now moved away from wanting to be referred to as native. In this conversation we are having, I felt it was very notable that it was the first time I heard someone reffering to First Nations as "natives" and it took 5 pages.

Out of curiosity, since you have now entered into this conversation, are you First Nations? 

As mentioned in my above post I am actually Indian like from India .. or as the government classifies as Indo-canadian.. 

I was just saying the since you don't like the term "native" it is similar to when the term "Indian' is incorrectly used to describe first peoples. 

I have heard many first people refer to themselves as"native" even wearing native pride clothing so I don't think everybody has a problem with it. 

I guess it is a matter of prospective. 

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

They call themselves that. My girlfriend years ago was and referred to herself as that as well. Unless of course, depending who you ask, I'm not allowed to because I'm white. I've heard such pathetic racist double standard before. 

8 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

As an Indian we have been forced to adopt Indo-Canadian instead.. which is just at incorrect as the other. 

$#@# we are all @#$###$ human being's !

"People need to spread love towards strangers,WE ALL BLEED THE SAME BLOOD,and we are all part of a global community  Now "

Aloe Blacc 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, drummer4now said:

As mentioned in my above post I am actually Indian like from India .. or as the government classifies as Indo-canadian.. 

I was just saying the since you don't like the term "native" it is similar to when the term "Indian' is incorrectly used to describe first peoples. 

I have heard many first people refer to themselves as"native" even wearing native pride clothing so I don't think everybody has a problem with it. 

I guess it is a matter of prospective. 

Right, I'm glad you brought that up. Native is often a term used in the First Nation community, peticularly in the younger generation as a point of pride. Much like the N word is sometimes used in the African American community. But it's not something that you would respectfully reffer to someone as. At least I definitely wouldn't.

Indian is definitely now something we do not reffer to our First People as. It has been like that for a good while now. Native is more recent, but it isn't the correct term anymore. Peticularly when we are trying to have a serious conversation about something such as the residential schools. If I'm incorrect here I would love for a First Nations person to step in and let me know though.

11 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They call themselves that. My girlfriend years ago was and referred to herself as that as well. Unless of course, depending who you ask, I'm not allowed to because I'm white. I've heard such pathetic racist double standard before. 

Yes, they do. As a point of pride, peticularly in the younger generations. And yes, in my opinion you shouldn't be. Peticularly in a thread where you are the first person in over 100 replies to so. Doesn't that make you think, hey, maybe that isn't right? 

Using your exact argument, would you think it's ok to call a Black person by the N word, just because they do amongst themselves?

Edited by shayster007