The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuild the Defense Quickly (Proposals)

So, let's build the defense, but let's get what we need!

First off, we need a defensive Dman, and we need a good one!

I have 2 choices, but one does not fit my list of expendable assets

1. Cernak

or

2. Carlo

I am picking Carlo, because he fits, and so does Boston, who has cap, and will most likely loose a defenseman in the Expansion Draft

Trade 1

Carlo (signed to 8 year X 6.5 Million per)

for

Schmidt, Lind, 2022-1st (unprotected), and Woo

Boston is getting old, they get 3 young prospects, and Schmidt, who they can keep or flip for what they need, or keep, IMO, this is a good trade for both teams. We aqcuire Carlo to play with  Hughes

Trade 2.

Graves

for

Juolevi and a 2023 - 3rd

Colorado would loose Graves, and this way Juolevi steps in, without much affair, so the chances of loosing him, are slim. Graves adds size, aggression and weight to our LHF.

UFA signing

Marc       David Savard.....Oops!:picard:

Savard (signs in Vancouver on a 4 year X 4.5 Million per)

RFA signing

Quinn Hughes ( 4 years X 5.25 Million per )

Hughes (5.25).............Carlo (6.50)

Rathbone (1.00)..........Savard (4.50)

Graves(3.10)..............Myers (6.00)

Starting 6 = $ 26.85 Million

Washington ....starting 6 = 24.40 Million

San Jose.........starting 6 = 30.40 Million

Montreal..........starting 6 = 24.00 Million

Tampa.............starting 6 = 28.00 Million

Pitts.................starting 6 = 24.60 Million

So, a little high, and we may have to spend assets, in 2 years on Rathbone and Graves, but we have one hell of a defense, who can and will be able to handle the rough going, as well as players who can PP and others who can PK.

Myers last year is buyout proof so depending on his play, we may have to incentisize his movement. We might have to down size our 2nd pairing RHD and re-sign Hamonic for around 3.00 million per...........

Thoughts?

Edited by janisahockeynut

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well for 1 that savard contract is way to much with to many years.

2. we should really try hard for cernak over carlo cause i really dont know how the heck tampa will be able to give Point, Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli all raises soon. 

Good point, plus Carlo is one of Boston's top 3 already (with McAvoy and Grzelcyk) and should be protected, so not sure why they trade him.  

Boston is looking to sign Carlo long term - he will be protected in expansion.  Don't see them interested in trading him.

If they lose a D in expansion - wouldn't they be trying to add one without losing another by trade.

Lind could well end up on waivers this season.  Woo hasn't proven anything - the AHL was watered down this season with the best players on the taxi squads.  

Not sure that it will be easy to flip a 30 year old 2nd pairing D in a flat cap environment.  

Juolevi is also expansion eligible.  They could lose both Graves and then Juolevi.   Not sure they would lose Graves though.  They could go 4 + 4 and protect him.

• Upvote 1

I agree i don't think boston makes this trade. would you trade Hoglander/rathbone  for cernak? cause I think adding a protected player for boston or TBL significantly ups our players trade value. (which we don't need) I believe we would be Happy if Schmidt or Myers was taken and replaced with Hamilton! I suppose we would have to ask carolina if they intended on re-signing hamilton and if he would consider signing with us and trading his right to us 

Edited by Petey_BOI

Not sure why everyone's throwing in Lind in their proposals. Has his 7 games in the NHL been that unimpressive? (Haven't watched him play). I understand the Juolevi trade, but it's the exact reason the trade won't work. Why would Colorado who is gunning for the cup want Juolevi as one of their 6 dmen. Colorado can easily offer Seattle a 2nd round pick and a prospect have Seattle pick a unimportant player and keep Graves. 

Signing David Savard would be very good to stablize our defense. Not sure how we find the cap space though. 

Edited by Drakrami

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Not sure why everyone's throwing in Lind in their proposals. Has his 7 games in the NHL been that unimpressive? (Haven't watched him play). I understand the Juolevi trade, but it's the exact reason the trade won't work. Why would Colorado who is gunning for the cup want Juolevi as one of their 6 dmen. Colorado can easily offer Seattle a 2nd round pick and a prospect have Seattle pick a unimportant player and keep Graves. 

it might not be so cheap. I heard Seattle is asking for two firsts to keep some players

Cernak and Carlo would be nice but they are pipe dreams in my opinion.  

If it was up to me, I’d do the following:

2021:  Sign Adam Larsson

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

Bowey

2022:  Sign Hampus Lindholm

Lindholm-Schmidt 

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi (OJ or Rathbone get traded for help in other areas at this point).

• RoughGame 1

We simply need to keep drafting guys on our D to balance the books for the rest of them... Larsson and Savard both don't interest me much.   Not sure we'd be better off with them over Hamonic.   Woo ... we need him to work out badly. 

As for the OP, having the third most expensive D in the league.... where do you see that D actually ending up as far as best numbers?    SJ at the top in pay and near the bottom in numbers ouch.   MTL fair enough cup final.   If we are going to have a top five paid D, you'd hope we'd end up as a top five defensive team too.    For sure your forwards, especially C's matter as does goaltending.   This D looks like it could pretty middling... that scares me.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, let's build the defense, but let's get what we need!

First off, we need a defensive Dman, and we need a good one!

I have 2 choices, but one does not fit my list of expendable assets

1. Cernak

or

2. Carlo

I am picking Carlo, because he fits, and so does Boston, who has cap, and will most likely loose a defenseman in the Expansion Draft

Trade 1

Carlo (signed to 8 year X 6.5 Million per)

for

Schmidt, Lind, 2022-1st (unprotected), and Woo

Boston is getting old, they get 3 young prospects, and Schmidt, who they can keep or flip for what they need, or keep, IMO, this is a good trade for both teams. We aqcuire Carlo to play with  Hughes

Trade 2.

Graves

for

Juolevi and a 2023 - 3rd

Colorado would loose Graves, and this way Juolevi steps in, without much affair, so the chances of loosing him, are slim. Graves adds size, aggression and weight to our LHF.

UFA signing

Marc       David Savard.....Oops!:picard:

Savard (signs in Vancouver on a 4 year X 4.5 Million per)

RFA signing

Quinn Hughes ( 4 years X 5.25 Million per )

Hughes (5.25).............Carlo (6.50)

Rathbone (1.00)..........Savard (4.50)

Graves(3.10)..............Myers (6.00)

Starting 6 = $ 26.85 Million

Washington ....starting 6 = 24.40 Million

San Jose.........starting 6 = 30.40 Million

Montreal..........starting 6 = 24.00 Million

Tampa.............starting 6 = 28.00 Million

Pitts.................starting 6 = 24.60 Million

So, a little high, and we may have to spend assets, in 2 years on Rathbone and Graves, but we have one hell of a defense, who can and will be able to handle the rough going, as well as players who can PP and others who can PK.

Myers last year is buyout proof so depending on his play, we may have to incentisize his movement. We might have to down size our 2nd pairing RHD and re-sign Hamonic for around 3.00 million per...........

Thoughts?

Can't see Hughes signing for 5.25 X 4? Hughes top D man - 3 X 6.5 million --- 5 yrs X 7.4 million

Hughes will camp will want more money then Scmidt 5.9 or Myers 6 million..

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

We simply need to keep drafting guys on our D to balance the books for the rest of them... Larsson and Savard both don't interest me much.   Not sure we'd be better off with them over Hamonic.   Woo ... we need him to work out badly. 

As for the OP, having the third most expensive D in the league.... where do you see that D actually ending up as far as best numbers?    SJ at the top in pay and near the bottom in numbers ouch.   MTL fair enough cup final.   If we are going to have a top five paid D, you'd hope we'd end up as a top five defensive team too.    For sure your forwards, especially C's matter as does goaltending.   This D looks like it could pretty middling... that scares me.    

I agree we need to keep drafting, but the guys we draft this year might start contributing to the next window in 3 years. We still need a trade and/or UFA move to upgrade the current right side d.

I wonder if this guys a sleeper Jim might target: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jani-hakanpaa

He might be a really interesting bargain player that gives us some needed size on a really low cap hit. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree we need to keep drafting, but the guys we draft this year might start contributing to the next window in 3 years. We still need a trade and/or UFA move to upgrade the current right side d.

I wonder if this guys a sleeper Jim might target: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jani-hakanpaa

He might be a really interesting bargain player that gives us some needed size on a really low cap hit. 

He is a big guy 6'5, 29,  TOI 16 mins, good depth guy play #5 and move to #4 with injuries. 

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Can't see Hughes signing for 5.25 X 4? Hughes top D man - 3 X 6.5 million --- 5 yrs X 7.4 million

Hughes will camp will want more money then Scmidt 5.9 or Myers 6 million..

Where do you get he is a top Dman

He can not play defense for his life

This past year, taking into account his +- and his PP points, he was a minus player

which means overall, with all his points, teams beat us when he is on the ice

No where is the top 14 Norris finalists

Give him time, sure maybe, but it aint there yet, baby!

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Where do you get he is a top Dman

He can not play defense for his life

This past year, taking into account his +- and his PP points, he was a minus player

which means overall, with all his points, teams beat us when he is on the ice

No where is the top 14 Norris finalists

Give him time, sure maybe, but it aint there yet, baby!

Tanev was 10th in Norris voting for this season.  I wonder what became of that guy?  Blame Gillis.

Seriously though, having some forwards that actually are great defensively might solve some of the problems on D.  I think part is system related (hopefully Shaw will correct that).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Rathbone will pass Juolevi before season starts..

Hughes -- ( Scmidt if not traded a draft time? 

Myers -- Rathbones

Hamonic ??  Juolevi  ( I think Hamonic will sign for maybe 2.4 X 2 yrs...

Madison Bowey 6'2, 200 lbs could be the #7 and surprise fans...