The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuild the Defense Quickly (Proposals)

21 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Rathbone will pass Juolevi before season starts..

their styles are very different, not sure this is a fair comp. OJ could very well end up being better defensively and Rathone the better puck mover/scorer. 

• Cheers 2

I think drafting a top pairing rhd is a crapshoot.  We are not likely to get Clarke.  Even with him there is no guarantee he will be top pairing material.  I think we should go hard after Parayko.  Imagine bring out Parayko followed by Myers for the next 5 years.  Problem solved.  

I have read that the Blues might be looking to move on from Parayko because of their long term commitments to Faulk and Krug.

I don't know what it would take but it would end the defense search for a few years and we could focus elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think drafting a top pairing rhd is a crapshoot.  We are not likely to get Clarke.  Even with him there is no guarantee he will be top pairing material.  I think we should go hard after Parayko.  Imagine bring out Parayko followed by Myers for the next 5 years.  Problem solved.  

I have read that the Blues might be looking to move on from Parayko because of their long term commitments to Faulk and Krug.

I don't know what it would take but it would end the defense search for a few years and we could focus elsewhere. 

Parayko would be by number 1 dman i want over dougie or seth if we cant get cernak lol

9 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Parayko would be by number 1 dman i want over dougie or seth if we cant get cernak lol

2022 1st Round contigent on Parayko resigning, 2021 2nd round, OJ

For 

Parayko

We take BPA this year.

Hughes Parayko

Schmidt Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

This would be a heck of a d for a few years.

I like the proposal that was suggested a few days ago trading a pick for Lauzon, he could be a nice cheap pickup before the ED.

And if the rumor about Schmidt wanting out is true, then I would expose him in the expansion draft. He would likely be picked. This clears his whole salary early in the off season and essentially avoids us losing a prospect like Lind or Gadjovich to Seattle.

The cap space allows us to go big fish hunting for Dougie Hamilton. If we land him the roster ends up like this:

Dougie A.JPG

Dougie B.JPG

On 7/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, janisahockeynut said:

So, let's build the defense, but let's get what we need!

First off, we need a defensive Dman, and we need a good one!

I have 2 choices, but one does not fit my list of expendable assets

1. Cernak

or

2. Carlo

I am picking Carlo, because he fits, and so does Boston, who has cap, and will most likely loose a defenseman in the Expansion Draft

Trade 1

Carlo (signed to 8 year X 6.5 Million per)

for

Schmidt, Lind, 2022-1st (unprotected), and Woo

Boston is getting old, they get 3 young prospects, and Schmidt, who they can keep or flip for what they need, or keep, IMO, this is a good trade for both teams. We aqcuire Carlo to play with  Hughes

Trade 2.

Graves

for

Juolevi and a 2023 - 3rd

Colorado would loose Graves, and this way Juolevi steps in, without much affair, so the chances of loosing him, are slim. Graves adds size, aggression and weight to our LHF.

UFA signing

Marc       David Savard.....Oops!:picard:

Savard (signs in Vancouver on a 4 year X 4.5 Million per)

RFA signing

Quinn Hughes ( 4 years X 5.25 Million per )

Hughes (5.25).............Carlo (6.50)

Rathbone (1.00)..........Savard (4.50)

Graves(3.10)..............Myers (6.00)

Starting 6 = $ 26.85 Million

Washington ....starting 6 = 24.40 Million

San Jose.........starting 6 = 30.40 Million

Montreal..........starting 6 = 24.00 Million

Tampa.............starting 6 = 28.00 Million

Pitts.................starting 6 = 24.60 Million

So, a little high, and we may have to spend assets, in 2 years on Rathbone and Graves, but we have one hell of a defense, who can and will be able to handle the rough going, as well as players who can PP and others who can PK.

Myers last year is buyout proof so depending on his play, we may have to incentisize his movement. We might have to down size our 2nd pairing RHD and re-sign Hamonic for around 3.00 million per...........

Thoughts?

Good take but you forgot to consider the coaching staff, that will determine how these players will be used and deployed.