The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Defensive Targets: Gavrikov and Cernak

Twitter never seems to be short of rumours.  One that I have recently seen involves another member of the Blue Jackets who wants a change of scenery.  That player is Vladislav Gavrikov.  Supposedly he is friends with Podkolzin.  Can anyone confirm this?  And how would everyone feel about JB trying to make a play for him?

Additionally, we all know Tampa will need to make some changes in the off-season because of the cap.  Everyone seems to be suggesting how great it would be to get Erik Cernak. 

My question is: would getting Gavrikov and Cernak be enough to make you feel confident in the Canucks defence for the upcoming season?  Second, what do you think the Canucks would have to give up in order to get both players?  Is it even possible to do it in the same off-season?  

I’ve included the player cards from JFresh

67857CFA-FA3F-43F1-8D1D-43710889CC5E.jpeg

183D870B-707E-459F-8A67-02FE8249B007.jpeg

59 minutes ago, VANFAN101 said:

Twitter never seems to be short of rumours.  One that I have recently seen involves another member of the Blue Jackets who wants a change of scenery.  That player is Vladislav Gavrikov.  Supposedly he is friends with Podkolzin.  Can anyone confirm this?  And how would everyone feel about JB trying to make a play for him?

Additionally, we all know Tampa will need to make some changes in the off-season because of the cap.  Everyone seems to be suggesting how great it would be to get Erik Cernak. 

My question is: would getting Gavrikov and Cernak be enough to make you feel confident in the Canucks defence for the upcoming season?  Second, what do you think the Canucks would have to give up in order to get both players?  Is it even possible to do it in the same off-season?  

I’ve included the player cards from JFresh

67857CFA-FA3F-43F1-8D1D-43710889CC5E.jpeg

183D870B-707E-459F-8A67-02FE8249B007.jpeg

Cernak pleeeeasssssse!!!!!  

realistally and truthfully, JB won’t be acquiring either of

them.   “Promote from within” speech incoming.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

Start at about 45 seconds and go till he starts on about the Leafs. Insightful

3 hours ago, sassbs said:

Realistically and truthfully, Tampa will not be trading Cernak to anyone.  

Why would they get rid of a cost controlled top 4 defenseman that's 24 years old?!?

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Realistically and truthfully, Tampa will not be trading Cernak to anyone.  

Why would they get rid of a cost controlled top 4 defenseman that's 24 years old?!?

What if they know they cant afford him when his deal runs out what do they do then? 

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

What if they know they cant afford him when his deal runs out what do they do then? 

They can protect 

1. Stamkos 

2. Kucherov 

3. Pointe 

4. Gourde 

5. Hedman 

6. Cernak 

7. Sergachev 

8. McDonaugh 

and a goalie Vasilevskiy 

Seattle take Cirelli and their issues are solved. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They can protect 

1. Stamkos 

2. Kucherov 

3. Pointe 

4. Gourde 

5. Hedman 

6. Cernak 

7. Sergachev 

8. McDonaugh 

and a goalie Vasilevskiy 

Pretty sure that doesnt fix everything.

I don't see either team wanting to give up those guys as they are young, cheap, and cost controlled (the same reasons we would want them).... but those are the sorts of targets we should be looking at for sure.  We don't want the expensive big names, we want the guys who are ready to break out into bigger roles.

If there was some way to get rid of Eriksson's last contract year (bonus has been paid so only $3 million in real dollars left), we could likely make a deal with Tampa to get either Foote or Cernak by taking on one of their "bad money" contracts like Killorn, Johnson, Gourde... or even Palat, and giving them cheaper cost controlled assets.  Those are all good players who would be excellent in our lineup, just paid too much for what Tampa can afford.

It will all depend on what deals they can make with Seattle.  My money is on Johnson agreeing to waive his NTC to be the hometown boy (and possibly captain) of the Kraken as part of a deal where Seattle gets another good asset from Tampa.  Even with that move, Tampa has to get rid of another $5 million contract to be able to flesh out their roster and get under the cap.  After two Cups in a row, I don't see the league letting them play with LTIR again this year.  Delaying a surgery so a player misses the regular season but is ready just in time for the playoffs was a pretty "iffy" move.

Edited by Provost

38 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They can protect 

1. Stamkos 

2. Kucherov 

3. Pointe 

4. Gourde 

5. Hedman 

6. Cernak 

7. Sergachev 

8. McDonaugh 

and a goalie Vasilevskiy 

Probably more like heavy sweetener to have them take Johnson, then go 7-3-1
Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Gourde, Killorn(?); Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak; Vasilievskiy

Then look to move McDonagh who's quite a bit older than the other 3 top-4 guys (pony up more futures to retain the present). 

40 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They can protect 

1. Stamkos 

2. Kucherov 

3. Pointe 

4. Gourde 

5. Hedman 

6. Cernak 

7. Sergachev 

8. McDonaugh 

and a goalie Vasilevskiy 

That doesn't bring them to the cap. Cirelli is also very good so he might be able to be used as a trade chip to Seattle to take Johnson. That would solve the cap problems.

37 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

That doesn't bring them to the cap. Cirelli is also very good so he might be able to be used as a trade chip to Seattle to take Johnson. That would solve the cap problems.

Yea. I think Tampa Bay would be more willing to lose Cirelli than Cernak. 

Cernak isn't likely going anywhere. Foote perhaps though...

We should also be looking at Mayfield (NYI), Jensen(WAS) and Manson(ANA) for trade options, with Hamonic, Larsson, Savard Oleksiak, Hakanpaa and Ceci as UFA options.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

My money is on Johnson agreeing to waive his NTC to be the hometown boy (and possibly captain) of the Kraken as part of a deal where Seattle gets another good asset from Tampa.  Even with that move, Tampa has to get rid of another $5 million contract to be able to flesh out their roster and get under the cap.  After two Cups in a row, I don't see the league letting them play with LTIR again this year.  Delaying a surgery so a player misses the regular season but is ready just in time for the playoffs was a pretty "iffy" move

Agree, Johnson makes lots of sense for both teams. SEA gets a decent, local boy + cap dump assets.  TBL clears the cap they need.

I'd really love to help them out with a Ferland-Killorn + swap. Saves them an additional $1m of cap, same 2 year term, and they can PTO a guy through camp and sign him once Ferland goes on LTIR, using his overage allowance. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agree, Johnson makes lots of sense for both teams. SEA gets a decent, local boy + cap dump assets.  TBL clears the cap they need.

I'd really love to help them out with a Ferland-Killorn + swap. Saves them an additional $1m of cap, same 2 year term, and they can PTO a guy through camp and sign him once Ferland goes on LTIR, using his overage allowance. 

You know if we do that with them the league probably pings us for it