The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Defensive Targets: Gavrikov and Cernak

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure...that's great.

He's also UFA in a year, they can't protect both him and the younger, cheaper Stenlund they just re-upped in the ED, and appear headed for a 're-something'.

Jenner is a given to be protected per Portzline.

They were missing a F to expose to meet the requirements before re-upping Stenlund.  Portzline has him exposed but they might wish now to protect Robinson over Nyquist or Domi.  Domi just had shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the start of the season.  He hasn't quite fit in and is a UFA next year.  Nyquist missed all of this season and might also be an option to be left exposed.

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He's the type of Dman we need though. And it wouldn't cost a king's ransom to acquire him. I'm not suggesting that he can be had for free, but we wouldn't have to flip our 9th pick. Maybe a 3rd and a B-level prospect (as approximate value)? He's a minute munching shutdown D man that can play in the top-4. He's almost an Edler replacement.

If he's ALMOST an edler replacement we dont want

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably cheaper just to sign Olesiak and Hakanpaa as UFA's and give up nothing.  The question would be can Hakanpaa play the big minutes with Hughes?

I like this idea a lot. We should have the cap space for this with a Jake and Holtby buyout/trade. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2021 at 7:09 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably cheaper just to sign Olesiak and Hakanpaa as UFA's and give up nothing.  The question would be can Hakanpaa play the big minutes with Hughes?

On 7/4/2021 at 7:32 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I like this idea a lot. We should have the cap space for this with a Jake and Holtby buyout/trade. 

Honestly we could probably afford Hamonic and Hakanpaa. Leave Hamonic to play with Hughes, and assuming he's staying, Hakanpaa to play with Schmidt.

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Hakanpaa

Juolevi/Edler, Myers

Juolevi/Edler

*Rathbone in Abby as their 1D, playing big minutes and first call up.

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly we could probably afford Hamonic and Hakanpaa. Leave Hamonic to play with Hughes, and assuming he's staying, Hakanpaa to play with Schmidt.

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Hakanpaa

Juolevi/Edler, Myers

Juolevi/Edler

I think Rathbone is going to make it really hard at camp to send him to Abby, but we'll see. 

I think we'll know pretty fast after expansion where things are with Hamonic, if he doesn't have a deal by the 25th then I think we're moving on. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Rathbone is going to make it really hard at camp to send him to Abby, but we'll see. 

I agree. Perhaps that does in fact make Schmidt available....?

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Hakanpaa

Rathbone, Myers

With Edler rotating in for the green horns, wouldn't be awful either ;)

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we'll know pretty fast after expansion where things are with Hamonic, if he doesn't have a deal by the 25th then I think we're moving on. 

I suspect we'll try to retain him. He/his agent might want to see what's out there/increase their bargaining position but I think it's highly likely he's back IMO.

• Vintage 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:42 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Trade Schmidt for Severson

Re-sign Hamonic

Draft Edvinsson at #9

In a few years:

Hughes - Severson

Juolevi - Hamonic

Edvinsson - Rathbone

Woo

Don't see why NJD would do that trade.  Severson plays the most of all their Ds.  NJD have Ty Smith that was drafted in the 1st round the same year as Quinn Hughes.  They've played together most of the season and have found chemistry.

Schmidt is 30 and unlikely to fit their competitive window.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Hakanpaa

Juolevi/Edler, Myers

Juolevi/Edler

I think Rathbone makes the team.  With Rathbone in the lineup I can see a Schmidt trade.  Package him with a prospect and our 2nd round pick and try and find a long term partner for Hughes.  Hakanpaa can be great on the 2nd pairing with either Rathbone or Juolevi.  Olesiak can be the swing man on the left side.

Olesiak and Hakanpaa makes us a much tougher team to play against.  So the question becomes who can we get in a Schmidt trade as a partner for Hughes?  

• Cheers 1

On 7/5/2021 at 4:09 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Stars would like to re-sign Oleksiak:

The Stars would like to re-sign pending UFA defenseman Jamie Oleksiak. Could they get Oleksiak re-signed for $3.5 million a year? If they lose Oleksiak, other potential free agent defensemen include Ryan Murray, Derek Forbort, Cody Ceci, Erik Gustafsson and Mike Reilly.

Hurricanes love Hakanpaa - i assume they will re-.sign him as well. The following is a quote from Carolina's GM once Hakanpaa was acquired in a trade with the Anaheim Ducks:

"Jani is a big, physical defenseman," said Waddell. "As a right-shot, he will be an ideal partner for an offensive-minded, left-handed blueliner."

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Hakanpaa

Rathbone, Myers

this feels like an actual re-set. Thats actually a really mobile group with some decent size sprinkled in there. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

"Jani is a big, physical defenseman," said Waddell. "As a right-shot, he will be an ideal partner for an offensive-minded, left-handed blueliner."

I think he’s referring to Hughes here but he also could be talking about Rathbone. -_-