The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we are never in the conversation for big name trades in the Benning era?

Rate this topic

On 7/5/2021 at 9:14 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s a little frustrating to see where this franchise is at and all the pieces it is still missing and then realize we don’t have the assets to make impact trades. This franchise should at least have assets to make deals for players like a Seth Jones, yet this team isn’t even mentioned. That happens at every free agency and trade deadline. It’s just another example of how this franchise has not been set up to get better or to improve. There is very little in the prospect cupboard as of right now which is alarming at this point. It would just be nice to at least be in that conversation. Hearing Schmidt wants out just goes to show there is something wrong with this organization.

Hearing Nate wants out and not checking the story shows there's  something wrong with people like you who are a dime a dozen who lack enough common sense not to believe everything you hear.  JB on record even called Nate to see if there was any truth to it and it was a no, but the rumour continues because stupid people are just that stupid to keep it going because the media does. Are you just that clueless? Your allowed to think for yourself, you should try it sometime, you might grow to like it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Hearing Nate wants out and not checking the story shows there's  something wrong with people like you who are a dime a dozen who lack enough common sense not to believe everything you hear.  JB on record even called Nate to see if there was any truth to it and it was a no, but the rumour continues because stupid people are just that stupid to keep it going because the media does. Are you just that clueless? Your allowed to think for yourself, you should try it sometime, you might grow to like it.

or you could just beleive everything Jim says

and be a condesending jerk to those who don't eat the pablum

being a dirkhead is easy, you clearly have grown to like it

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, lmm said:

or you could just beleive everything Jim says

and be a condesending jerk to those who don't eat the pablum

being a dirkhead is easy, you clearly have grown to like it

The point was valid - as is yours in a way it's the exact same thing.   However JB has a good reputation of being honest with the media and the rest of the league /other GMs.   You know who doesn't have the best reputation for being honest and making stuff up?  The media, including a fair amount of our local chumps.     Everyone has heard the saying where there is smoke theirs fire - doesn't mean it's right all the time either.   You'd think that with the efforts JB's made to defuse or rebutt this rumour, which any idiot could make up given Schmidt was nothing like the Schmidt in WSH or Vegas - that he deserves the benefit of the doubt.    Why not instead start a rumour the QHs isn't happy because Tanev is gone?   Oh wait i think i've read that too.    You can bet Schmidt would know if he's on the block because JB would be talking to his agent.   What's his agent say about this? 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Who’s to say Colorado made us the same/similar offer?

No doubt.   Whenever a trade is made, and especially UFA signings,  there is often some JB hater that brings up "what is wrong with JB, why couldn't we offer them Sutters rights and a 5th - he's a terrible GM" la da da.    That said he would have been a nice add for sure. 

This year is about patience.   All that cap saved last year and all the pool we have left because we didn't dump cash to fit them in - is for QHs and EP mostly.    The team needs to keep playing with what they have and figure it out.   

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Who’s to say Colorado made us the same/similar offer?

Exactly. Look at the Schneider trade, we got 9OA pick in the draft from NJ and took Horvat despite both of Cgy and Edm offering us a higher pick in that draft plus a prospect and a player. All because Gillis didn't want to trade Schneider in the division or conference, maybe Sakic had the same type of plan and we were never going to be considered as a trading partner no matter the offer.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Exactly. Look at the Schneider trade, we got 9OA pick in the draft from NJ and took Horvat despite both of Cgy and Edm offering us a higher pick in that draft plus a prospect and a player. All because Gillis didn't want to trade Schneider in the division or conference, maybe Sakic had the same type of plan and we were never going to be considered as a trading partner no matter the offer.

Bingo.   You have to consider that trades with in divisions are almost always minor ones, Kesler for sure was the exception but with a two team trade list, and on the cusp of a rebuild that was for sure a special circumstance.    And in a way smart given the timing of both teams cycles.   Maybe ANA wouldn't be opposed to trading Manson to us considering we traded Kesler it might give us a shot at least (Kesler was very good for them for awhile at least).   Brought this up before - i've yet to see a major trade to EDM or CAL or WNP between the Canucks.   Steve Staois just might be the high bar (think he was even their C for a short time)...that's a very low bar.   Schmidt could be the new high bar within our own division really.  

As for Gillis.   For sure don't blame him one bit.   We were still a contender, or at least close to one, even without Schneider.     A powerhouse.   Until the house of cards fell apart.    And BTW i'd ask anyone to find a better trade for a goalie all-time then Horvat.    Went into this over Markstrom.    And Demko.   We wouldn't have got much for Markstrom as a rental, and wouldn't have done that anyways given we were a bubble playoff team and just traded for TT to replace BB.    Demko before the ED would have given us peanuts.   He hadn't proved squat yet.   Less then Lack really.  

Now Demko for sure is a commodity.   And we won't lose him at the ED which for sure we would have for nothing.   Plus we saved 1 million a year over going with Markstrom.    JB gets shredded for not signing TT... most were happy with JV's contract and Schmidt was touted as a top pairing guy because, well that's exactly what he was in Vegas for 3 years.   Things backfired last season on both theses fronts but it was only one short covid year. 

TG turned things around WITHOUT our best forward.   We were inching towards a spot until Covid hit.   Once the playoffs start anything can happen.    Demko is legit.    I'm not too worried about things other then how the cap gets spent going forward.    Teams super young - the core.   Once LE and Edler are gone we will be one of the youngest - if not the youngest teams in the entire league.   Plenty of time to grow together.    

I said before the end of bubble that we need to let all three walk.   Just couldn't see tying up 80 million over 4-6 years as a good thing.   No Hogs, likely no Podz either.   A second back for Demko IF we could even find any takers.     No first this year plus plus to shave remove Sutter and Beagle from the team last off season and maybe Roussel too.   We would have been an even worse team then we were in the bubble with the same players minus Demko.   TT isn't McDavid or Drasaitl or Mckinnon.   There is simply no justification for it and i'd be the biggest JB basher of the bunch if that's what he did after 7 years finally making up for 9 years of pathetic drafting.    Throw it all away.   He didn't.   Imagine the issues we'd have with our cap this year too if he had?    It's just basic arithmetic.  

This is why I lost faith in Benning with his first moves.  Signing big free agents right off the bat instead of turning players left from the glory days into draft picks.  Then spending more draft picks for years to come on guys like Vey and Gudbranson.  Canucks had the assets.  They just let them age out their value and traded picks for playoff runs that ended in bottom of the league finishes instead.  ncaa basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

of turning players left from the glory days into draft picks. 

NTC, check into it, it might open your eyes about what can and cannot be done.

I doubt it, but it is possible.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, lmm said:

not really, I just think your tone is kind of immature

no it's actually realistic.. obviously your a media follower, myself, I don't believe either the media or JB until I see it, believing rumours based on speculation? nope it only makes people look like fools in the end when it turns out not true. Believe what you want though.. that's up to you..

On 7/16/2021 at 2:40 AM, iceman64 said:

no, that is not condesending at all.

You are so superior

truth is not going to come from Jim (or any GM) or Nate (or 90% of the players) in this type of situation

the process is, 1 rumour leaked, 2 everyone denies it, 3 a trade happens

Someone as superior as you should have that figured out by now

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

no it's actually realistic.. obviously your a media follower, myself, I don't believe either the media or JB until I see it, believing rumours based on speculation? nope it only makes people look like fools in the end when it turns out not true. Believe what you want though.. that's up to you..

Ah, that old "you must be a media follower , how many time a week do I get that cheap slur

Quick now, why don't you follow that up by calling me a Leafs fan?

I get that just as often from the superior "True Fans"

2 hours ago, lmm said:

You are so superior

truth is not going to come from Jim (or any GM) or Nate (or 90% of the players) in this type of situation

Ah, that old "you must be a media follower , how many time a week do I get that cheap slur

deflect all you like... lmao! the song remains the same.. nice try though

2 hours ago, lmm said:

You are so superior

and btw, it's called using your brain..