The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we are never in the conversation for big name trades in the Benning era?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Canucks landed a big fish in Miller, and Schmidt the following year was an excellent move.  Perhaps JB will surprise again.

I'll give credit for Miller but Schmidt..... He underperformed big time imo, I was expecting more out of him and that didn't happen. And hearing rumors now that he wants to be traded out, not really an excellent move there.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:
3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I'll give credit for Miller but Schmidt..... He underperformed big time imo, I was expecting more out of him and that didn't happen. And hearing rumors now that he wants to be traded out, not really an excellent move there.

I don't attribute that as a bad move for Benning at all. Hell, it was widely regarded as a savvy move. Up to the coaching and systems to get the value he promises out of him. IMHO.

Edited by Disgruntler

Just now, Disgruntler said:

I don't attribute that as a bad move for Benning at all. Hell, it was widely regarded as a savvy move. Up the coaching and systems to get the value he promoout of him. IMHO.

So same as Loui Eriksson then? I get that wasn't a trade, but any player that a GM aquires and if they don't live up to their expectations, they have to be held accountable somehow. 

2 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

What a mess this fanbase is, just constant bickering. Some of y’all need to get outside and enjoy the summer lmao

Not even worth commenting on crap like this

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Everyone underperformed, not just Schmidt. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong for us. With everything that happened, Schmidt easily deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s a little frustrating to see where this franchise is at and all the pieces it is still missing and then realize we don’t have the assets to make impact trades. This franchise should at least have assets to make deals for players like a Seth Jones, yet this team isn’t even mentioned. That happens at every free agency and trade deadline. It’s just another example of how this franchise has not been set up to get better or to improve. There is very little in the prospect cupboard as of right now which is alarming at this point. It would just be nice to at least be in that conversation. Hearing Schmidt wants out just goes to show there is something wrong with this organization.

This is Definably why you should take your views and opinions and cheer for another team

2 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

What a mess this fanbase is, just constant bickering. Some of y’all need to get outside and enjoy the summer lmao

Yup.  Catch the big one! 

image.jpeg.7045537688cad7bbf65760a8812b6be5.jpeg

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

and yet you are here?

I’ve stayed away from this forum for the most part since the weather got nice. Literally the first thread I see is this one. You’re right though, don’t even know why I bother replying to this stuff. The usual suspects are always out to play. 

2 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Everyone underperformed, not just Schmidt. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong for us. With everything that happened, Schmidt easily deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Like I didn't expect him to have numbers like in Vegas, he left a stronger team and came to a weaker team, so numbers are expected to be down a bit but not as much as they were imo. The big factor was watching him early in the season, struggling with making simple passes and just controlling the puck, he didn't impress me at all.

Just now, Kenny Blankenship said:

I’ve stayed away from this forum for the most part since the weather got nice. Literally the first thread I see is this one. You’re right though, don’t even know why I bother replying to this stuff. The usual suspects are always out to play. 

and yet you are still here

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

maybe the problem was your expectations? the guy was acquired for a 3rd round pick, were you expecting Hedman?

1 minute ago, tas said:

maybe the problem was your expectations? the guy was acquired for a 3rd round pick, were you expecting Hedman?

Personally was expecting him to play like a 6 million dollar dman even a 5 woulda been nice but a 2 million dollar one meh not impressed

46 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Underperformed big time? Under 10mins in penalties and was one of the most steady d men on a terrible team in a covid last season.  I'd wait till a normal regular season before casting negative judgement.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Underperformed big time? Under 10mins in penalties and was one of the most steady d men on a terrible team in a covid last season.  I'd wait till a normal regular season before casting negative judgement.  

Some people don't understand moving to a new team often has an adjustment period. He's played in a $&!#ty half season in which he definitely started looking more comfortable as the season went on. He's obviously a better player than what he showed. A better understanding of talent and hockey wouldn't lead to these snap judgements.

• Cheers 1

Quite simple really - the cap is the same for all teams - no one wants our players cause they are low achievers (as my grade 10 French teacher used to say).  
IE, not much bang for the buck.

Since the Sedins retired, we have had only 1 player get a NHL Award, Petterson with the Calder.

We have never won the Vezina nor Norris.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Some people don't understand moving to a new team often has an adjustment period. He's played in a $&!#ty half season in which he definitely started looking more comfortable as the season went on. He's obviously a better player than what he showed. A better understanding of talent and hockey wouldn't lead to these snap judgements.

He didn't put the points up people were expecting so he gets written off.  Hope he's a big part of the team next year