The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] A package offer of Miller and Schmid would definitely turn some heads

[proposal] A package offer of Miller and Schmid would definitely turn some heads

And now I await the smart ass response of, “A package offer of Pettersson and Hughes would definitely turn some heads.  :-p. 

In all seriousness though, there are teams out there that could use some good cagey vets to either help teams go for the cup now, or help emerging teams in terms of intangible leadership.

On the flip side, there are teams out there that have some disgruntled young superstar players (Tkachuk, Reinhart, Eichel, Seth Jones, etc.) that could be had for the right price.  While I love both Miller and Schmidt, I’m also a fan of the idea of the Canucks acquiring a very good long term asset in exchange for Miller and Schmidt.

Off the top of my head, here are some ideas that come to mind:

1) Miller and Schmidt for Reinhart and Ristolainen.

2) Miller and Schmidt for Tkachuk and Andersson (as mentioned in another thread)

3) Miller, Schmidt, and 9OA for 1OA and Okposo.

4) Miller, Schmidt, and 9OA for Seth Jones+(Jones is signed and extended before the trade).

5) Miller, Schmidt, and Holtby, for Carlo, Debrusk, Swayman, and a cap dump in order for things to work from a cap perspective.

While my hope is that we’d keep both Miller and Schmidt, I wouldn’t mind offering a package like this IF we got a young(ish) superstarish long term asset (Carlo, Jones, Tkachuk, Reinhart, etc.) in return that would fit in more age wise with our current core (Petey, Horvat, Bo, Hughes, Demko).

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 3

14 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

And now I await the smart ass response of, “A package offer of Pettersson and Hughes would definitely turn some heads.  :-p. 

In all seriousness though, there are teams out there that could use some good cagey vets to either help teams go for the cup now, or help emerging teams in terms of intangible leadership.

On the flip side, there are teams out there that have some disgruntled young superstar players (Tkachuk, Reinhart, Eichel, Seth Jones, etc.) that could be had for the right price.  While I love both Miller and Schmidt, I’m also a fan of the idea of the Canucks acquiring a very good long term asset in exchange for Miller and Schmidt.

1) Miller and Schmidt for Reinhart and Montour (Montour is extended before traded)

2) Miller and Schmidt for Tkachuk and Andersson (as mentioned in another thread)

4) Miller, Schmidt, and 9OA for Seth Jones+(Jones is signed and extended before the trade).

5) Miller, Schmidt, and Holtby, for Carlo, Debrusk, Swayman, and a cap dump in order for things to work from a cap perspective.

While my hope is that we’d keep both Miller and Schmidt, I wouldn’t mind offering a package like this IF we got a young(ish) superstarish long term asset (Carlo, Jones, Tkachuk, Reinhart, etc.) in return that would fit in more age wise with our current core (Petey, Horvat, Bo, Hughes, Demko).

Not sure how you do the first deal without adding Florida to the trade...

15 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Not sure how you do the first deal without adding Florida to the trade...

Forgot that Montour was traded to Florida.   So If we’re talking Buffalo, it might look like Miller and Schmidt for Reinhart and Ristolainen instead.

Holtby is here for one reason. To fulfill our exposure obligation for the Expansion draft. If he's still here past that (doubt it), he will likely be traded or bought out at that point. Before the draft, to trade him means that we are required to expose (and lose) Demko.

@ChuckNORRIS4Cup"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

What an incredible story!

I'd thrown one of these beauts(4 or 5 wks back?) to Pitt

Wanted a future 1st as part of their incoming pkg. My thinking is they will surprisingly fall off one of these yrs. Also Letang has only 1 more yr, so they could find use for Schmidt over the coming yrs.

It's not a bad idea for us to keep lining up arriving ELC's. Our first wave of youth is getting to an age they can start contributing with leadership. Also think Miller might get increasingly bitter, watching TBay churning out Cups. Great player, but not sure his brand of 'leading' will serve our youth perfectly. S'pose it'll come down to what his acceptance, & future contract expectations are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

1) Miller and Schmidt for Reinhart and Ristolainen.

My favorite fit for Miller is with Minny.

They need a top six center. Miller has proven he can play the middle effectively.

We need a RD.

JT Miller to Minny for Matt Dumba,  Ryan O Rourke, and the 21stOA 2021

This deal nets us a defender for now and one for down the road. Both bring much needed blueline physicality. We also get another 1st rounder to add another prospect, which is always welcome.

Minnesota is in, win now mode. Miller has proven he can play a very effective pivot role, putting up points and providing a little physicality from the forward position. 

I look at this as a win win for both teams.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

My favorite fit for Miller is with Minny.

They need a top six center. Miller has proven he can play the middle effectively.

We need a RD.

JT Miller to Minny for Matt Dumba,  Ryan O Rourke, and the 21stOA 2021

This deal nets us a defender for now and one for down the road. Both bring much needed blueline physicality. We also get another 1st rounder to add another prospect, which is always welcome.

Minnesota is in, win now mode. Miller has proven he can play a very effective pivot role, putting up points and providing a little physicality from the forward position. 

I look at this as a win win for both teams.

You are underrating Miller a bit too much. Miller can net us 4 1st rounders if the cards are played right.