The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] A package offer of Miller and Schmid would definitely turn some heads

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You nailed it on the head with cap.   We can't afford BB, Miller and Horvat all making 7 plus but that's what is trending.   Moving Miller now isn't dumb, that's exactly what COL did with Duchene, another winger/C.   Look how that worked out for COL and look at his current paycheque (it's 8 BTW). 

It's dumb when you put everything into context. The Aves were able to move Duchene largely because they had MacKinnon. Petey is a very good player, but he isn't MacKinnon. He doesn't carry the play in the same way Mac does. Miller helps us fill that void. Guarantee if Miller is shipped out, our team falls apart. Luckily I also guarantee that Benning is aware of this and won't move Miller any time soon, unless Millernhimself wants out.

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's dumb when you put everything into context. The Aves were able to move Duchene largely because they had MacKinnon. Petey is a very good player, but he isn't MacKinnon. He doesn't carry the play in the same way Mac does. Miller helps us fill that void. Guarantee if Miller is shipped out, our team falls apart. Luckily I also guarantee that Benning is aware of this and won't move Miller any time soon, unless Millernhimself wants out.

And Miller is built for the playoffs.  Who on the Avs plays like him?  Landeskog?

Edited by Alflives

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Mac didn't "carry the play" anymore then EP has so far when that trade was made.   Go back and look at again if you need too.  Rantaenen is getting what?  9.5?  Should be giving Mack and his great grand kids x-mas cards for eternity for that.   Can't wait to see what he signs for next deal (Nathan).    Says he would do it again but all his mates will be buying yachts he can't afford.   So for sure he's going to take ... 9?  or will it be 14 on his next deal.  Will find out. 

Your not getting the macro picture yet.   We can't afford BB, Miller and Horvats nexts deals.   Not if we want to fix our D anyways.   One or two of these guys should be recycled instead of just letting them go for nothing.   We have all of this next season and until the following TDL to decide.

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

Who's going to get 8 million on the open market 

Good point.  Maybe it’s important to identify five guys we must keep, and as other guys get near to UFA or getting too much money trade them for picks?  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Good point.  Maybe it’s important to identify five guys we must keep, and as other guys get near to UFA or getting too much money trade them for picks?  

Thanks - my point is - the next two years we might need a re-set.  And the guys we have to re-set with are Miller (the low hanging fruit, we didn't draft him, his stock is now sky high and he's the elder statesmen but not by much), Horvat and then BB based on age and probably skill too.     Of those three Miller is the obvious choice.   Any team would pay a kings ransom now to get him.   Cheap.  Especially with retention after next season at the TDL.   I'm not expecting a Duchene haul, COL completely fluked out with that.    But do think we could more then recover the cost to trade for him, and that it would help EP and QHs and BB when they are in their primes.  Would like to keep him of course but cap constraints don't allow for that.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How about we just don't trade Miller?

@IBatch @Alflives,

Don't get me wrong guys, I love JT Miller.   Solid player, intangibles, gritty, all that $&!#.  I get it.   

The way I see it however, if the Canucks have a chance of getting a young(ish) superstar player that is currently disgruntled on his team but can thrive elsewhere, I think that's a deal that the Canucks need to cater to.   

The primary goal right now for the Canucks should be in building their core players that will be here for the LONG term.   

-Pettersson

-Boeser

-Horvat

-Demko

-Hughes

All of these guys are below the age of 25 and will be here for the long haul.   While I love JT Miller and Nate Schmidt, they aren't going to be long term core players for us........although I do recognize and respect the veteran leadership that they bring.  I especially love their cap hits and what they will bring to the Canucks in 22-23 when our window will really begin.   This whole Schmidt situation however, will likely force Benning's hand however. 

Schmidt by himself likely won't get you much.  Especially given the season that he just had.   Add Miller and even the 9OA to a potential Schmidt deal however, and we get presented with a wide array of options in my opinion.  All of a sudden, targeting those young 25 sub year old superstars doesn't become a pipe dream (I realize Seth is 26).   But again, you could target a Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Reinhart, Brandon Carlo, maybe even a Morgan Rielly and William Nylander from Toronto.  Maybe Reinhart and Risto from Buffalo.  

The bottom line is that adding Miller to a Schmidt package, or even both Miller + 9OA to a Schmidt package would allow the Canucks to add a MASSIVE young piece that fits in with the sub 25 year old aforementioned core.  People might resent me for saying this but I would even kick the tires on Patrick Laine.  

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

@IBatch @Alflives,

Don't get me wrong guys, I love JT Miller.   Solid player, intangibles, gritty, all that $&!#.  I get it.   

The way I see it however, if the Canucks have a chance of getting a young(ish) superstar player that is currently disgruntled on his team but can thrive elsewhere, I think that's a deal that the Canucks need to cater to.   

The primary goal right now for the Canucks should be in building their core players that will be here for the LONG term.   

-Pettersson

-Boeser

-Horvat

-Demko

-Hughes

All of these guys are below the age of 25 and will be here for the long haul.   While I love JT Miller and Nate Schmidt, they aren't going to be long term core players for us........although I do recognize and respect the veteran leadership that they bring.  I especially love their cap hits and what they will bring to the Canucks in 22-23 when our window will really begin.   This whole Schmidt situation however, will likely force Benning's hand however. 

Schmidt by himself likely won't get you much.  Especially given the season that he just had.   Add Miller and even the 9OA to a potential Schmidt deal however, and we get presented with a wide array of options in my opinion.  All of a sudden, targeting those young 25 sub year old superstars doesn't become a pipe dream (I realize Seth is 26).   But again, you could target a Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Reinhart, Brandon Carlo, maybe even a Morgan Rielly and William Nylander from Toronto.  Maybe Reinhart and Risto from Buffalo.  

The bottom line is that adding Miller to a Schmidt package, or even both Miller + 9OA to a Schmidt package would allow the Canucks to add a MASSIVE young piece that fits in with the sub 25 year old aforementioned core.  

Nylander is a double Flamingo, so no to him.  

I think Miller is part of the core.  

I would trade him though, but for picks/prospects.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nylander is a double Flamingo, so no to him.  

I think Miller is part of the core.  

I would trade him though, but for picks/prospects.  

Agreed about Nylander, lol.   

Miller for picks and prospects would be great in theory but I think that would piss off too many current core players such as Petey, Hughes, BoHo, etc.  

Trading Miller for picks and prospects would be perceived as a change of direction and the start of a new rebuild and this could lead players to questioning management (for changing directions and not having a consistent plan).   The flamingo's at 650 sportsnet and The Athletic would be all over the Canucks.  

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed about Nylander, lol.   

Miller for picks and prospects would be great in theory but I think that would piss off too many current core players such as Petey, Hughes, BoHo, etc.  

Trading Miller for picks and prospects would be perceived as a change of direction and the start of a new rebuild and this could lead players to questioning management (for changing directions and not having a consistent plan).   The flamingo's at 650 sportsnet and The Athletic would be all over the Canucks.  

I expect Pods to take a top role and Hogs to step up even more.  Maybe Miller wouldn’t be missed so much after next season? Summer 2022 trade? 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I expect Pods to take a top role and Hogs to step up even more.  Maybe Miller wouldn’t be missed so much after next season? Summer 2022 trade? 

Agreed with you about Hogs and Podz.  I would even put Rathbone to that list.

Like I said - I love both Miller and Schmidt but I easily take a disgruntled 22-25 year old player that can be had in exchange (I.e. Tkachuk, Reinhart, Laine, etc.).  Like even a Laine and Andrew Peeke type return.

Edited by Patel Bure

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We can't afford BB, Miller and Horvats nexts deals.

Prove it. Break down how our entire roster and cap situation will look in 2 years when Miller is up. Please remember to include all other salaries, including prospects on entry level deals, players we will have signed in free agency, players we'll have traded for, etc etc etc.... If you cannot break down exactly how our cap situation will look in two years time, then simply saying "We can't afford _____" is a meaningless statement.

Point is you have no clue what things will look like in two years.

Also, since we're talking about Rantanen, that's another guy the Aves already had that allowed them to move on from Duchene. We simply don't have enough up front to justify moving on from arguably our best forward right now. Creating a parallel between two trade scenarios only works if the context is similar. In this case, it isn't.

Again, and I will repeat this ad nauseam, Benning isn't trading Miller any time soon, so the point is moot anyways.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we have the horses, fine, but only then. As of this moment Miller is way to important to this team and any success we may hope to have to move on from, unless it's a big overpayment. I do wonder if we're putting too much expectation on Podkolzin so soon. There isn't much to indicate he's going to be able to step in and be a big offensive force right off the bat.

Agreed about Nylander though. Pretty boy flamingo ass pansy.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Haha 1

To Vancouver:

-Laine

-Peeke

To CBJ:

-Miller

-Schmidt 

-2nd

Pearson-Pettersson-Boeser 

Laine-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-####-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-Highmore

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Peeke

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

(more changes would need to be made to the defense, etc.)

Edited by Patel Bure

Miller and Schmidt and our 9th OA for a 10OA and Okposo?  WTF is that?

Miller is worth a 9th OA on his own. 

Schmidt is worth at least a 1st on his own.

This is "option 3" maybe it's a joke i don't know. 

Miller is valuable, look at what Vegas traded for one year of Tartar sauce.  Miller is for almost certainly going to be a trade chip in the future.  Maybe as soon as this off season, but think we keep him and trade him the following year unless we make the conference finals or something which is highly unlikely.   I'd trade Miller if we could figure out the right trade for a RHD.   Dobson in NYI would work.   

17 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If we have the horses, fine, but only then. As of this moment Miller is way to important to this team and any success we may hope to have to move on from, unless it's a big overpayment. I do wonder if we're putting too much expectation on Podkolzin so soon. There isn't much to indicate he's going to be able to step in and be a big offensive force right off the bat.

Agreed about Nylander though. Pretty boy flamingo ass pansy.

You have to pay to play.   Miller's in his prime.   EP and QHs are years away from their prime.   Years.   Miller is going to be getting macho muccho money next time which is only in two years.  So is Horvat.   Doubt we can afford both of them.   And highly doubt we will be competing for a cup the next two years. So he's an expendable asset.   We should for sure be considering trading Miller at some point. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Miller and Schmidt and our 9th OA for a 10OA and Okposo?  WTF is that?

Miller is worth a 9th OA on his own. 

Schmidt is worth at least a 1st on his own.

This is "option 3" maybe it's a joke i don't know. 

Miller is valuable, look at what Vegas traded for one year of Tartar sauce.  Miller is for almost certainly going to be a trade chip in the future.  Maybe as soon as this off season, but think we keep him and trade him the following year unless we make the conference finals or something which is highly unlikely.   I'd trade Miller if we could figure out the right trade for a RHD.   Dobson in NYI would work.   

Errrr no.  

The deal was Miller, Schmidt, 9OA for Okposo and 1OA (Owen Power).  ;).   That’s what my proposal was intended to be.

14 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Just wondering if Smitty could get us first. Wondering what his value is. 

Probably a 2nd or a 3rd just like last year.  That’s why I think it would be better if we packaged Schmidt with Miller.....or even Schmidt, Miller, plus 9OA.