The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] A package offer of Miller and Schmid would definitely turn some heads

17 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Probably a 2nd or a 3rd just like last year.  That’s why I think it would be better if we packaged Schmidt with Miller.....or even Schmidt, Miller, plus 9OA.

One. Why would you trade Miller when he is exactly the type you win with. 
Second. If Smitty is only worth a second then I would rather keep him. 

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

One. Why would you trade Miller when he is exactly the type you win with. 
Second. If Smitty is only worth a second then I would rather keep him. 

One - while Miller is a great piece and someone that I would like to have, I think it would be better for the Canucks if they were able to acquire a young established superstar that could be a part of the Canucks for the LONG TERM.......to be a part of our core consisting of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Hoglander, and Podkolzin.  There are guys out there such as Sam Reinhart and Matthew Tkachuk that are disgruntled on their current teams and could be had.  A guy like Miller is a great asset (for the reasons you mentioned) and could definitely be used to land such a piece.  In order to receive value, you have to give value. A combination of Miller and Schmidt would certainly get some attention.

two - I want to keep Schmidt as well but he has requested to be traded apparently.

18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

One - while Miller is a great piece and someone that I would like to have, I think it would be better for the Canucks if they were able to acquire a young established superstar that could be a part of the Canucks for the LONG TERM.......to be a part of our core consisting of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Hoglander, and Podkolzin.  There are guys out there such as Sam Reinhart and Matthew Tkachuk that are disgruntled on their current teams and could be had.  A guy like Miller is a great asset (for the reasons you mentioned) and could definitely be used to land such a piece.  In order to receive value, you have to give value. A combination of Miller and Schmidt would certainly get some attention.

two - I want to keep Schmidt as well but he has requested to be traded apparently.

Nobody is trading away a young superstar. Reinhardt and Tkachuk don’t fall into that category. Also a  hard pass on Tkachuk at any price. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Nobody is trading away a young superstar. Reinhardt and Tkachuk don’t fall into that category. Also a  hard pass on Tkachuk at any price. 

Reinhart and Tkachuk may not be “superstars”, but they’re pretty close.   Reinhart has been a consistent two-way 20+ goal scorer in the league while Tkachuk netted 34 goals I believe just two seasons ago.  We can hate on Tkachuk all we want but the guy plays a helluva game when he’s playing well.  He hits like a truck and has great offensive instincts.  Yes Tkachuk did turtle against Kassian but guys like Claude Lemieux, Alex Burrows, and Brad Marchand also showed/show acts of cowardice at times as well and I think we can all agree that all of these players in their primes are players that you’d want to have on your team.

Patrik Laine is another guy that could be had right now......although I might be a bit wary of him.   Seth Jones isn’t “young”, but he’s youngish at 26.

Don’t mind me - just “thinking out loud.”

To Buffalo:  Miller, Schmidt, 9OA

To Vancouver:  Jack Eichel

Logic and rationale:  Swing for the fences.  If Eichel’s surgery/rehab isn’t career threatening, then we have a 1-2 punch at center that rivals both Toronto and Edmonton.  This set up may attract high quality free agents for years to come.

2021-2022:

Hoglander-Eichel-Boeser

Pearson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Roussel-Horvat-(Lind)

Motte-Beagle-Highmore

MacEwen

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Myers

Rathbone-Bowey

Juolevi

Demko
Holtby

2022-2023 (Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Holtby, Luongo, etc. off books).

Hoglander-Eichel-#####

#####-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-(Lind)-Highmore

#####-#####
Hughes-Hamonic 

Rathone-Myers

Juolevi

Demko

(Dipietro)

Edited by Patel Bure

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Saw it in Legorocks99 YouTube channel.  He got it from some MTL twitter feed (supposedly a real source).  Dunno if true or not. 

I follow pretty much every reliable Montreal reporter. Not a peep from anyone I’d consider trustworthy.  Actually zero mentions of it from anyone.  I’d take it with a giant grain of salt.  Even if they did inquire I doubt they’d be willing to pay the asking price. Bergevin tends to do one for one trades and he tends to do very well 

30 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I follow pretty much every reliable Montreal reporter. Not a peep from anyone I’d consider trustworthy.  Actually zero mentions of it from anyone.  I’d take it with a giant grain of salt.  Even if they did inquire I doubt they’d be willing to pay the asking price. Bergevin tends to do one for one trades and he tends to do very well 

It came from this tweet from Maxim Guérin who describes himself as an extern (an experiential learning opportunity similar to an intern, so not paid or an employee) consultant with NHL Central Scouting and a part-time NHL observer. So I’m going to go with a big fat no as far as coming from a reputable reporter with inside information.

7403CC50-C349-41CD-BFD5-98F25D7598D8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Still feel like McPhee can have his blunders of bad trades and Vegas needs a top 6 Center. 

Miller for Tuch, Krebs and Hague

Man i would love to get get tuch on the canucks so much but im pretty sure he’s untouchable with that size and great contract.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Van: Miller(retain about 20-25%), Schmidt, OJ

Mtl: Byron, Chiarot, Romanov, 2022 1st(top-5 protection; flip to 2023 1st otherwise)

I'd consider something like this, from Van's pov. With retention, cap hits are similar for these pkg's

Gross no effin way

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Man i would love to get get tuch on the canucks so much but im pretty sure he’s untouchable with that size and great contract.

I always think that as well but they are in desperate need of a top line Center and every year Tuch is still just on their 3rd line. They might feel like dealing from a position of strength.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I always think that as well but they are in desperate need of a top line Center and every year Tuch is still just on their 3rd line. They might feel like dealing from a position of strength.

Yeah unfortunately we dont have a 1C to spare, wish we did u imagine him and podz together whew!

On 7/9/2021 at 12:41 PM, Alflives said:

And we so t trade Miller.  He’s a leader on and off the ice.  Great player, in his prime, and on a fabulously team friendly contract.  I’m expecting Miller signs an extension with us in three years.  

I hate trade proposals involving players that are good for us. 

Miller and Schmidt for Laine and Peeke and letting “Laine run wild.”

I get it.  Laine doesn’t like to back check and can be a defensive liability at times.  

You know else sucked and sucks defensively?  Bret Hull and Alex Ovechkin.  

It was not too long ago that Patrik Laine netted 16 goals in one freakin’ month.   I don’t care who you are but it takes an incredible amount of talent to do that.

So, for arguments sake, why not.....

1) Trade for Laine

2) Unlike Torts and unlike his final days in Winnipeg, try and constrain Laine.  Give Laine free reign within reason a la Ovechkin style and let him strut his stuff.  Horvat acts as his Mark Scheifele.  

And the other guy?  Peeke?   He acts as our unheralded unsung hero playing right side D alongside Quinn Hughes.  Seriously....this young Peeke kid is pretty decent.

Laine-Horvat-Hoglander

Pearson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Graovich-Virtanen 

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Hughes-Peeke

Murray-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Edited by Patel Bure

I'd go for the Reinhart + Risto deal please, we'd probably have to throw a 1st or 2nd round pick in though but I'd still do it.

Reinhart is entering his prime, 25 goals last season, he'd be our new 1st line center with Petey probably shifting to the wing. Certainly an upgrade now and in the future on Miller offensively, defensively Miller should be better (and tougher) but he certainly wasn't last season. 

Ristolainen would be great alongside Hughes but he's far from the perfect big tough righty everyone thinks he is - makes a lot of slip ups defensively as well and doesn't play entirely to his size (a bit Myers-esque, probably doesn't want to hurt anyone). 

Apparently the asking price for Risto alone is only a 2nd round pick + prospect so I'm sure this could work value-wise...

• Cheers 1