The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Eichel/vs Pettersson Value for Value Anaheim

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The rumoured ask from Buffalo for Eichel is currently the 3rd overall in this years draft, and Zegras.

Eichel currently has come nowhere near his draft status and claims of "I'll be better than McDavid" he has only been in the top 10 in scoring once in his career thus far and has some rumoured issues.

I personally feel that anyone trading for Eichel does so with a serious amount of protection, but that's just me because I wouldn't touch him or his contract with a 10 foot pole.

That being said though.

Point for point, dollar for dollar would Pettersson be worth the 3rd OA and Zegras?

No serious back/neck injuries.  No apparent or rumoured attitude issues almost identical point  values for games played AND....no $10 million contract.

Would anyone do Zegras and the 3rd OA (Eklund/Powers/MacTavish/Clarke) for Pettersson?

Serious question and I don't care if Anaheim wouldn't.  I just want to know if that was the Buffalo ask and Benning floated in there with Pettersson for the same value would anyone be upset?

In:  2021 3rd OA, Zegras

Out:  Elias Pettersson

Draft:  Eklund/Mactavish/Powers/Clarke at 3rd, draft say, Hughes/Guenther/Johnson/Lyssel/Edvinson at 9th

I mean, just for Leafs and giggles here would anyone be upset at that?

To answer your question directly NO I would not trade Petey for the 3rd overall pick in 2021 and Trevor Zegras.  The 3rd overall pick is an unknown quantity in a draft where there is no clear #1 pick.  Zegras is also relatively unknown although he had a decent year last year.  I would stick to the known quantity at this point.  Petey is only 22 and is going to get much better.  He could be a 100 point player in a couple years. 

The type of trade you are referring to is usually done for a more established player in their mid to late 20's where a team is trying to get over the top to win a Cup and the team that is trading that player is looking to rebuild.  Vancouver is not in rebuild mode any longer.  We have our core of star players.  And one of those is Petey, so no point to trade him now while he's still young unless it's a blow your socks type trade where you just can't say no.  Zegras and the 3rd overall pick in 2021 isn't that type of deal.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Still, Jack is seriously damaged goods.  He needs a discectomy, which he’s fighting against because he wants to try disc replacement.  In disc replacement the vertebrae aren’t fused, so there can be a dislocation at the point if the replacement.  Very scary stuff.  Any team trading for Jack is taking a huge risk.  

I wouldn't even trade BO straight up for Eichel right now.  Eichel is going in for major neck surgery.  His career may be over before he is 30.

I'd sooner bet on the guy we've got, if we're serious about trying to compete we're not trading Petey for futures 

If you move Petey out, you've got to replace him and I'm not confident we'd find someone better

Petey could be a top 10c at his peak

Eichel, on the other hand, is damaged goods and I wouldn't be spending assets on him 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd sooner bet on the guy we've got, if we're serious about trying to compete we're not trading Petey for futures 

If you move Petey out, you've got to replace him and I'm not confident we'd find someone better

Petey could be a top 10c at his peak

Eichel, on the other hand, is damaged goods and I wouldn't be spending assets on him 

It's true, his injuries make him a risky proposition.  

I've watched Eichel take over games in a manner that I've only seen out of McDavid and MacKinnon in the last few years.  So to me, he's a more dominant player then Elias.  

As far as Warhippy's original question, Elias would have the same value as Elias' injury issues are not as scary as Eichel's although a part of me wonders how much of Eichel's injuries are being made more complicated in order to get him out of Buffalo.  

It would take a top 3 pick and a grade A prospect to acquire Elias IMO, not that Benning would want to trade him anyways.  A pick that lands Wright, Michkov, Bedard or Savoie and I'm driving Elias to the airport (sorry). 

The value is there I think, but overall trading Pettersson would unnecessarily set us back a few years and we’d have to watch him turn into what we all think he’ll be on a division rival? Yeah, that’s a hard pass. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn't even trade BO straight up for Eichel right now.  Eichel is going in for major neck surgery.  His career may be over before he is 30.

The surgery could end his career. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's true, his injuries make him a risky proposition.  

I've watched Eichel take over games in a manner that I've only seen out of McDavid and MacKinnon in the last few years.  So to me, he's a more dominant player then Elias.  

As far as Warhippy's original question, Elias would have the same value as Elias' injury issues are not as scary as Eichel's although a part of me wonders how much of Eichel's injuries are being made more complicated in order to get him out of Buffalo.  

It would take a top 3 pick and a grade A prospect to acquire Elias IMO, not that Benning would want to trade him anyways.  A pick that lands Wright, Michkov, Bedard or Savoie and I'm driving Elias to the airport (sorry). 

I agree. If this was just based on talent, no injuries, contracts, age, Eichel is the better player. When Eichel is on, is an incredible player, worthy of being with Nate McKinnon and David Pastrnak. Not quite Matthews, McDavid but a tier below, but definetly above EP40. I also wouldn't hesitate if a pick that landed Michkov or Bedard straight up for EP40, I'd jump on that. Bedard's shot is already equal to Boesers and he's just 16

If we are talking Sabres, one guy I’m also interested in is Martin Samuelson.  Big 6’4 210 lbs defenseman that plays with an edge.  He’s only 21 as well.  Maybe a guy like that could end up being our long term Edler replacement?