The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You decide! (Poll)

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

You decide!  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I voted for the second option (12 straight Top 10 finishes but no cups).   Who knows......maybe the win the cup in that 13th season, all the while, having amassed massive revenue.

On the flip side, 11 straight bottom 10 finishes would present a huge risk to the future longevity of Canucks hockey in Vancouver.  Unlike fans of other Canadian hockey markets, Canuck fans will flat out stop showing up to games if we have so many consecutive losing seasons.  “Busting a nut” and winning one cup isn’t worth the long term damage to the organization.

I'll take a cup please.  I can handle 11 losing seasons after that.  Heck, I've been a Canucks fan for 50 years and most of those have been losing seasons (or at least it feels like it - I didn't actually check).  It would have been much more easy to bear with a cup in hand.  In fact, I think I read somewhere recently that all tolled the Canucks have the worst win-loss record in the entire league.  And yet we still have a solid fan base.  Or in other words I don't think the economic viability of the team is in jeopardy here.  Of course the team will make some more money with a winning team but in Vancouver people will show up to the games regardless if we win or lose.  That's always been the case.  Yes there are plenty of bandwagoners that lose the faith whenever any little thing goes wrong but there is also a solid core of fans who will show up no matter what.  Go Canucks Go! 

I want that cup.  Now, if we can just find the right players who want it just as bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

either way, fans will complain. just give me entertaining hockey.

Pretty much this.

Don't win the Cup, there will be complaints, and that is fair. Do win the Cup, and then sink back into the pack, it will be like 2011 - 12 (and onward) all over again, only worse. It will be as @Viper007 mentioned, only the cries will become, "When will we win the Cup... AGAIN!!!?"

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nux_win said:

I'll take a cup please.  I can handle 11 losing seasons after that.  Heck, I've been a Canucks fan for 50 years and most of those have been losing seasons (or at least it feels like it - I didn't actually check).  It would have been much more easy to bear with a cup in hand.  In fact, I think I read somewhere recently that all tolled the Canucks have the worst win-loss record in the entire league.  And yet we still have a solid fan base.  Or in other words I don't think the economic viability of the team is in jeopardy here.  Of course the team will make some more money with a winning team but in Vancouver people will show up to the games regardless if we win or lose.  That's always been the case.  Yes there are plenty of bandwagoners that lose the faith whenever any little thing goes wrong but there is also a solid core of fans who will show up no matter what.  Go Canucks Go! 

I want that cup.  Now, if we can just find the right players who want it just as bad.

You might be able to handle eleven losing season but I don’t think this market would.  Vancouver fans aren’t as loyal as many other fanbases.  If we were to have that many consecutive losing seasons, it could get to a point where a severe lack of revenue could initiate talks of relocation.    Vancouver has a tremendous nightlife.  We aren’t losers like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Ottawa, and we don’t see ourselves as the “center of hockey” like Toronto does to the point where hockey is on the same level as religion.   And everyone grows up a Habs fan in Montreal.  

If Vancouver starts losing with no hope in sight, fans will flat out start to walk away.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

How many years since Vancouver won a cup?

And yet the fans are still here.

True, but we've also had a number of highly successful seasons despite our lack of a cup.   1991-1996, 2001-2004, 2007-2013, all saw some very successful Canuck era's.  Numerous individual accolades + almost every single team award outside of a Stanley Cup.   The city of Vancouver won't be able to handle toxicity well.  Case in point - look at ticket sales during the dreaded Messier era from 1997-2000.  

I know it's CFL, but have a look at BC Lions attendance when they've had losing seasons compared to fanbases such as the Calgary Stampeders, Edmonton Elk (lol),  Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Hamilton, etc.  Vancouver is a different market.  Multiple losing seasons + no light at the end of the tunnel = fans saying "&^@# this" and walking.  Vancouver has a wide variety of night life options and entertainment options as a whole unlike most of other Canadian cities.   If Vancouverites aren't entertained, they walk.   We are the Los Angeles of Canada in many ways.   

24 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I know it's CFL, but have a look at BC Lions attendance when they've had losing seasons

Get the Lions and Whitecaps out of that dome and into a proper sized facility and the attendance will grow, most likely.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This poll is turning out exactly as I expected.

The Cup.

Nothing else matters. 

It would be interesting to hear the perspective of a Flames’ fan who started watching hockey shortly before 1989.  

Maybe I’m being biased, but I started watching hockey in 1986-87.......and I feel like I’ve gotten far more out of hockey as a Canucks fan than I would have if I would have been a Flames fan (despite their cup win).

FYI - I’m also a Blue Jays fan and watched the Jays win their back to back World Series’.....and have also watched them become almost irrelevant to baseball shortly afterwards.  It’s not a great feeling.  Winning is great, but revenues and consistent fan interest is king.

Edited by Patel Bure

So, not to spoil all the excitement here , but.

How do you expect to win the cup without a team that can have a lot of top ten seasons?

The probable outcome of trying to win a cup quickly would be to do things that handcuff you for the long term. Trade away the future and load up for a couple of years . If you crap out and you probably will because your club will have no depth. Then you will get another ten years of futility. 

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

Get the Lions and Whitecaps out of that dome and into a proper sized facility and the attendance will grow, most likely.

And my argument is that Vancouver fans still won’t turn up to games if these teams don’t field winning products.  I love Vancouver but we leave the most fickle fanbase in all of Canada.  

30 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

True, but we've also had a number of highly successful seasons despite our lack of a cup.   1991-1996, 2001-2004, 2007-2013, all saw some very successful Canuck era's.  Numerous individual accolades + almost every single team award outside of a Stanley Cup.   The city of Vancouver won't be able to handle toxicity well.  Case in point - look at ticket sales during the dreaded Messier era from 1997-2000.  

I know it's CFL, but have a look at BC Lions attendance when they've had losing seasons compared to fanbases such as the Calgary Stampeders, Edmonton Elk (lol),  Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Hamilton, etc.  Vancouver is a different market.  Multiple losing seasons + no light at the end of the tunnel = fans saying "&^@# this" and walking.  Vancouver has a wide variety of night life options and entertainment options as a whole unlike most of other Canadian cities.   If Vancouverites aren't entertained, they walk.   We are the Los Angeles of Canada in many ways.   

I'll challenge this viewpoint a little, I don't discount there is a portion of the fanbase that just tunes out if things go bad, but the Canucks have had more poor seasons than elite ones. As a whole the Canucks have had more losing seasons than winning seasons in our history. Those eras where we were elite, while recent, make up maybe a third of our history. The rest were just losing seasons. I'd also put the night life options of Toronto and Montreal as a whole another level of variety and distraction for the market compared to us. What team is 100% from the toxicity of a market too? I think the pressure here is more yes but I've yet to see the same level as Toronto where they send death threats to their goalies wives after losing a series or complain about the amount of hot dogs a star player eats. We're still here and posting despite the losing and our differences. 

With all due respect to the Lions, I don't think the fanbases are comparable due to the sports. And for us, after all the heartbreaks this team and fanbase has been through we're still here. We're not that brittle. Although I do admit, we aren't Buffalo either, now THAT s a loyal fanbase bordering on abuse. 

I would like to see our ticket sales data during these eras. 

Our history visualized by The Hockey Guy. Most of our history has been losing, at least recently the trend doesn't look too dire.

Red = missed playoffs 

Magenta = sub .500, made playoffs

Blue = above .500 season, made playoffs

image.png.24f8638dc6d65b50df285b662fda8087.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

It would be interesting to hear the perspective of a Flames’ fan who started watching hockey shortly before 1989.  

Maybe I’m being biased, but I started watching hockey in 1986-87.......and I feel like I’ve gotten far more out of hockey as a Canucks fan than I would have if I would have been a Flames fan (despite their cup win).

FYI - I’m also a Blue Jays fan and watched the Jays win their back to back World Series’.....and have also watched them become almost irrelevant to baseball shortly afterwards.  It’s not a great feeling.  Winning is great, but revenues and consistent fan interest is king.

Been a fan since '82. Will always be one, through thick and thin, win or lose.

The Cup. It's the holy grail. It's what it is all about. 

You got more out of hockey because you are a Canucks fan. Best team to cheer for in the NHL. All the rest are the enemy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

There are fans. Fans come on sites like this. They are into all aspects of the club.

Then there are those who go to the in thing. If things are going good and there is some excitement they get involved. However their attention span is short and only maintained during good times. They don't come to sites like this.

The true fan is probably a small percentage of what is required to keep the building and team going.

They need to build an organization that can maintain a winning record every year. That keeps both groups happy. Eventually a cup will come.

Edited by appleboy

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Been a fan since '82. Will always be one, through thick and thin, win or lose.

The Cup. It's the holy grail. It's what it is all about. 

You got more out of hockey because you are a Canucks fan. Best team to cheer for in the NHL. All the rest are the enemy. 

Agreed that the cup is the holy grail but 11 consecutive bottom 10 finishes would sink this organization.  

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Agreed that the cup is the holy grail but 11 consecutive bottom 10 finishes would sink this organization.  

I'd still be there, hoping we at least ice a goon squad to beat up all the teams that light us up on the score board. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd still be there, hoping we at least ice a goon squad to beat up all the teams that light us up on the score board. 

That's pretty much what we were doing in 1998-1999 if I recall correctly.  Hilariously enough, that 98-99 team was probably tougher than the 2011-2014 Bruins.  

We had Bert Robertsson, Chris McAllister, Larry Courvelle, Jamie Huscroft, Brian Noonan, Donald Brashear, Scott Walker, (Walker was actually a half decent hockey player).    

• Cheers 1

Aren’t we pretty much living option one now? Maybe just a shade above, where the Oilers, Sabres & Red Wings were or are. 

Any which way, just win the SCup!!!

And please, don’t cheat in ways that would disqualify you from holding your head up on the way to that final prize, a la ‘Ben Johnson’. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Upvote 1