The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You decide! (Poll)

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

You decide!  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, viking mama said:

This is nearly rock-bottom, again.

Losing Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo, Toffoli, Stecher, Edler, likely Boeser next, or Virtanen to buy-out or for nothing, too, is what happens when you core bust and lose the faith & trust of your players. 

This is the consequence of not having a ‘proper’ plan, reacting slowly and/or ineffectively to bumps that appear in the road, and communicating poorly with players & fans about your future plans.  

It takes more than talent to ‘bind’ a team together. Team chemistry is elusive. Where’s the trust, when you bury, bench or repeatedly turn your back upon your top-paid players? Where’s the trust when you cannot Covid-test/vaccinate your way 

around a major pandemic outbreak among the team’s players, coaching staff & families. Where is the trust when the intellect at the top avoids picking-up the phone to keep bonded members of our community together. You go to war with people that you respect or you have been there with before…and in whom you trust! That takes experienced in over-coming adversity together & then staying together, or being reunited. Character, skill, team chemistry, desire …and trust!  It all matters. 

NHL players talk amongst themselves, and that brotherhood easily hears about the organizations that they can trust to treat them fairly & give them opportunities to win. Unfortunately, we currently find ourselves standing at ground zero in VanCity. This decimation is ALL on Benning & the Aquilinis. Only new owners or a brand-new GM can hope to beg for that required level of trust to be invested in this team, again. 

Sorry Mama, but totally disagree...

This Organisation showed tremendous loyalty towards the Sedins, and several other players...

The team has been rebuilding, and now we are getting close to the final core. Not quite yet, but we are slowly getting there.... It can not be a huge surprise that players are being let go...

To see Tanev and Marky going to the Flames have maybe hard for a few players and fans, but what were the alternatives? Sign them for another 4 years (6 for Marky)? These pages has been nothing but a huge argument over players signed for too long at too much dollars...

The team was/is needing an infusion of new blood, and even though Tanev and Marky would have been nice to keep, it was never going to be the case at the $/term they got by the Flames. Keeping Marky (I wanted him to stay, but understood the reasoning for letting him go) would mean good bye to Demko... 

Virtanen is still with the club, and you can NOT blame ownership or Benning for the mess he is in, right or wrong.

Leivo won't win us the Cup,

Stecher neither, despite us all loving the kid and his heart.

Toffoli was the casualty of the Cap being flat lined, 

And finally as far as I know Boeser is still a Canuck, and I have seen nothing that suggests otherwise...

The vast majority of this team is new, and with Edler leaving that will be the last of the old guard except for Bo (who is still only 26)... 

If you are referring to the whole Gaudette debacle, I have to say none of us knows for sure, what the truth were... I do believe the fact he didn't progress as hoped for as a  centre paved the way for the trade. 

As for the brotherhood, all players want to win... It may hurt today, but if the team starts winning next season, all negativity it will soon be forgotten... Its professional sport.

The team is rebuilding and not good enough yet... Benning is trying to get the team better, and there will be casualties along the way... nothing new in that.

Benning have drafted us a new core, and fairly quickly at that. Could he just have a bit of luck in the Free Agency or trade market for his D, we could be moving for real within the next 2 years.

22 hours ago, spook007 said:

Sorry Mama, but totally disagree...

This Organisation showed tremendous loyalty towards the Sedins, and several other players...

The team has been rebuilding, and now we are getting close to the final core. Not quite yet, but we are slowly getting there.... It can not be a huge surprise that players are being let go...

To see Tanev and Marky going to the Flames have maybe hard for a few players and fans, but what were the alternatives? Sign them for another 4 years (6 for Marky)? These pages has been nothing but a huge argument over players signed for too long at too much dollars...

The team was/is needing an infusion of new blood, and even though Tanev and Marky would have been nice to keep, it was never going to be the case at the $/term they got by the Flames. Keeping Marky (I wanted him to stay, but understood the reasoning for letting him go) would mean good bye to Demko... 

Virtanen is still with the club, and you can NOT blame ownership or Benning for the mess he is in, right or wrong.

Leivo won't win us the Cup,

Stecher neither, despite us all loving the kid and his heart.

Toffoli was the casualty of the Cap being flat lined, 

And finally as far as I know Boeser is still a Canuck, and I have seen nothing that suggests otherwise...

The vast majority of this team is new, and with Edler leaving that will be the last of the old guard except for Bo (who is still only 26)... 

If you are referring to the whole Gaudette debacle, I have to say none of us knows for sure, what the truth were... I do believe the fact he didn't progress as hoped for as a  centre paved the way for the trade. 

As for the brotherhood, all players want to win... It may hurt today, but if the team starts winning next season, all negativity it will soon be forgotten... Its professional sport.

The team is rebuilding and not good enough yet... Benning is trying to get the team better, and there will be casualties along the way... nothing new in that.

Benning have drafted us a new core, and fairly quickly at that. Could he just have a bit of luck in the Free Agency or trade market for his D, we could be moving for real within the next 2 years.

^I appreciate the optimism. 

I’m saying that the team isn’t just experiencing a few casualties,.. the assault on the core was a full on slaughter. New guys are not even wanting to stick around (Schmidt, Hamonic) even after that promising group went through a pretty heroic bubble-run in 2020. That core’s  reward was to be subsequently torpedoed. If you cannot give your top free-agents the security of long term deals or if they cannot give you hometown discounts or shortened  deals to ride out the uncertainly of a Covid-season or expansion year then... maybe Tanev, Marky & Stecher didn’t bet upon themselves as Canucks,…but that door wasn’t even opened-up for them to do so.  

Yes, the Aquilinis were loyal to the Sedins, a solid core & a coaching staff that developed some chemistry & a brotherhood together over nearly a decade. They almost achieved the ultimate reward for it, too! I’m just pointing out that free-agents sense when your door is revolving & when you are no longer interested in maintaining a core on their merit, anymore. You don’t want just the mercenaries applying.

Virtanen should have been cut loose awhile ago, like Seguin was from the Bruins, and for similar reasonings. Benning had the experience to see that train coming. JV desperately needs a change of scenery. I hope the Kraken take him.

Benning’s stubbornness or slow moving pace in understanding the broader needs of his players, communicating with them effectively, managing the cap, &  letting players go at the ‘best’ time  not just a right time,…is what sets him below the better GMs of this league. He’s hung in there too long with an immature Jake, over-invested in Loui Ericksson, strung along Brandon Sutter/others and chosen NOT to hang-in there long enough with a ‘core’ to survive all manner of adversity together & reap the rewards of sharpness &  chemistry that general continuity brings along. 

Stech & Boes were akin to Hank & Dank. Boeser is less-anchored to VanCity once free-agency calls, with Troy playing somewhere else. This  team’s defensive pairings have been going into a blender each week, let alone each season. When do you cement some of these pieces together - so that the players can play with more fun & free-wheel on some more finely-honed instincts & trust?

Benning seems to have blundered in not always knowing his own managerial mind. He is ever the ‘professional’ scout, but is he an effective enough communicator? Players report that management hesitated in communicating their intentions to them. Too little often too late. Incompetence or self-doubt in this area has caused key moments to pass, thus failing to build the necessary level of trust with everyone under his stewardship. He MUST to do better, or get some ‘help’ tackling those   things he dislikes most or enhancing the skills he lacks most. Enter the Sedins, perhaps…? 

JB definitely needs to perform & operate just as efficiently & instinctually as he expects & hopes his players will perform upon the ice….with far-less hesitation, making the ‘right’ decisions & at the ‘best’ of times. JB hasn’t arrived at that championship level yet & quite possibly, never will. 

The Aquilinis also need to sit back & let their chosen GM do his job. We all remember the Tortorella-fiasco too well & with great pain. Never, again, please! 

But, by at the end of Benning’s contract, he had better learn to fly  in all areas of his job, as the team will either sink or swim based largely upon the actions of those at the top. 

Edited by viking mama

10 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I appreciate the optimism. 

I’m saying that the team isn’t just experiencing a few casualties,.. the assault on the core was a full on slaughter. New guys are not even wanting to stick around (Schmidt, Hamonic) even after that promising group went through a pretty heroic bubble-run in 2020 - and was subsequently torpedoed. If you cannot give your top free agents the security of long term deals or if they cannot give you a hometown discount or shortened  deals to ride out all of the uncertainly of a Covid/ season & expansion year then... maybe Tanev, Marky & Stecher didn’t bet upon themselves as Canucks,… but that door wasn’t even opened up for them to do so.  

They Aquilinis were loyal to the Sedins, a core & a coaching staff that developed a chemistry & brotherhood together over nearly a decade. I’m just pointing out that free-agent players sense when your door is revolving & when you are no longer interested in maintaining a core on merit, anymore. 

Virtanen should have been cut loose long ago, like Seguin was from the Bruins and for similar reasonings. Benning had the experience to see that train coming, too. JV desperately needed a change of scenery & I hope the Kraken take him away.

Benning’s stubbornness and/or slow moving pace in understanding the broad needs of his players, communicating with them effectively, managing the cap, and letting players go at the ‘best’ time, not just a right time,…is what sets him apart from some of the better GMs in this league. Hung in there too long with Jake, over-invested in Louie Ericksson, has chosen yet again to NOT hang in there long enough, with a set core that survives adversity together & reaps the rewards of the solid continuity & steady  sharpness, that team chemistry brings. 

Stech & Boes were like Hank & Dank. Boeser is far less-anchored to us when free-agency hits, with Troy elsewhere. The team’s defensive pairings have been going into a blender each week, let alone each season. When do you cement hinges together - so that the players can play with more fun as they free-wheel on more finely-honed instincts & trust.

Benning seems to have blundered in not always knowing his own managerial mind, at times. He is ever the ‘professional’ scout, but is he an effective enough communicator? His hesitations in communicating his intentions or ‘self-doubt’ has caused key moments to pass by, thus failing to build up the necessary level of trust with everyone under his stewardship. He has to do better, or get some help with the things he lacks most. Enter the Sedins, perhaps… 

JB needs to perform & operate just as efficiently & instinctually as he expects & hopes his players will perform upon the ice….with far-less hesitation, making the ‘right’ decisions & at the ‘best’ of times. JB just hasn’t arrived at ghat level yet, & quite possibly, never will. 

The Aquilinis need to sit back & just let their chosen GM do his job. We all remember the Tortorella-fiasco with great pain. Never, again, please! 

Cheers for response Mama...

I think the only one, I may agree with, is Tanev... As I said before if Marky stays, Demko goes... Stecher was needing a pay rise, and Benning wanted to spend the money elsewhere...  And even with Tanev and his injury history, the question would be, how long will he be durable... 

There team needed to be changed, this much was evident despite the fairytale run...and still does.

The connection between Stecher and Boeser was nice, but it is still professional sport... Peteys 'best' mate Dahlen was sent packing as well... it happens. especially in this day and age with cap crunch etc.

Eriksson was the person looking after Petey, when he arrived, but we still are prepared to dump him and rightfully so...

Virtanen should have been traded a year ago, I agree, but unfortunately Benning thought he'd turn it around... Hoping that he could eventually turn into, what we all hoped he could become.

And finally I'm not sure the players are unhappy about the way Benning treats them or communicates with them. I think, he is honest and forth coming and maybe even to honest for his own good. I may be mistaken in that opinion, in which case maybe the Sedins will improve on that.... The cynicism in me think Aquilinis brought them back as link to the fans just like Linden before them. Time will tell...

If you aren't playing for the cup, what are you playing for? Just money?

If you are a fan not waiting for your opportunity to see your team win the cup, why are you watching?

It's out of our control of course, but I want to see the Canucks win at least ONE cup before I die. As a fan for almost 30 years, it's time.