The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

we need to develop players and/or players we have need to play better.

Rate this topic

grouse747

i've been looking at the final 8 NHL playoff rosters. so many key players who weren't drafted highly. many were developed by current team. some by a previous team.......... so much talk on this forum seems to revolve around getting more elite talent (which would be nice, and teams should always strive for this) as opposed to developing more talent ourselves.,

we seem to have a key core of six players. and i think most teams would be ecstatic to have that core 6 players.

excepting the goalie, all 5 of our core players were drafted in the first round. 3 in the top 10 picks.

we need to develop NHL calibre players........... and we need the players we have to play much better...... on both these criteria, i think the team/organization culture is really key. and i think our organizational/team culture is quite weak.

thanks in advance for any comments :) ..... somewhat of a reversal for me as i've said before that elite talent is the ultimate differentiator between teams. but that is partially because i thought/think developing decent NHL 3rd and 4th liners shouldn't be that difficult. and partially i was wrong, i think.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, grouse747 said:

i've been looking at the final 8 NHL playoff rosters. so many key players who weren't drafted highly. many were developed by current team. some by a previous team.......... so much talk on this forum seems to revolve around getting more elite talent (which would be nice, and teams should always strive for this) as opposed to developing more talent ourselves.,

we seem to have a key core of six players. and i think most teams would be ecstatic to have that core 6 players.

excepting the goalie, all 5 of our core players were drafted in the first round. 3 in the top 10 picks.

we need to develop NHL calibre players........... and we need the players we have to play much better...... on both these criteria, i think the team/organization culture is really key. and i think our organizational/team culture is quite weak.

thanks in advance for any comments :) ..... somewhat of a reversal for me as i've said before that elite talent is the ultimate differentiator between teams. but that is partially because i thought/think developing decent NHL 3rd and 4th liners shouldn't be that difficult. and partially i was wrong, i think.

This is going to piss some people off but the only player I’m convinced is “elite” is Thatcher Demko. We still need more time at the bottom with great draft picks while clearing out garbage contracts. Once all the turds are flushed down the toilet, we will have elite ELC talent ready to be infused with a veteran Horvat, EP, Hughes and demko. Making a run now is going to set us back another decade.

a lot of people here are excited to make the playoffs in a weak Pacific but I’m not really interested in that. I have the patience to wait for a dynasty. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

This is going to piss some people off but the only player I’m convinced is “elite” is Thatcher Demko. We still need more time at the bottom with great draft picks while clearing out garbage contracts. Once all the turds are flushed down the toilet, we will have elite ELC talent ready to be infused with a veteran Horvat, EP, Hughes and demko. Making a run now is going to set us back another decade.

a lot of people here are excited to make the playoffs in a weak Pacific but I’m not really interested in that. I have the patience to wait for a dynasty. 

Weren't you one of the guys freaking out about how bad we played this season? Now you have patience? Did you take you medicine or what is the deal?

• Haha 4

Just now, bree2 said:

calling Canuck players turds is not what i call a Canuck fan. these guys worked hard for our team!!!

Work hard hey? 

How hard would you or me need to work to get $6,000,000? How many years would would we need to work to accumulate that kind of money? If you can truly quantify that then you’ll have no problem calling these guys turds. They worked hard for other teams to earn these contracts. They aren’t living up to over here. I have no pity. 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Weren't you one of the guys freaking out about how bad we played this season? Now you have patience? Did you take you medicine or what is the deal?

Hey, when you talk about a winning culture and the best you can do is 17th OA with the same budget as The best teams in the league, I’ll call that out all day, every day. 

2 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Hey, when you talk about a winning culture and the best you can do is 17th OA with the same budget as The best teams in the league, I’ll call that out all day, every day. 

the only thing you have convinced me on is that you are short sighted. our playing roster last year was around 55-72 million dollars

• Vintage 1

On 7/7/2021 at 1:15 PM, Alflives said:

We should copy the Shanaplan!  :lol:

Leafs are totally screwed!  3 players making 33 million!  :lol::lol::lol:

They had Lou on board and He chose someone he can mold instead - from a Canuck fan POV, he made the right choice; and he probably taught a few years of Lou would be enough for Dubas to become Lou 2.0  .

On 7/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, Phil_314 said:

Lol to sum it up for you, "we need depth".

Also I think it's both (e.g. draft and develop MacT, maybe get Scotty Morrow, sign a fill in 3rd C like Zajac or Wennberg).

Those players you mentioned reminds of Harvey to a certain degree.