The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

we need to develop players and/or players we have need to play better.

Rate this topic

grouse747

Persson, Zlodeyev, Truscott keep coming up in their respective leagues. Persson is playing in Kamloops this year and is expected to be a big part of that team.  

I hope Jurmo works out as he has great wheels.

McDonough and Utenen clhave potential.

Should Focht, Lockwood, Woo, Silovs, DiPietro all take a step in Abbotsford that would be a great development year.  

Then you've got all the young guys on the team.  

So I'd agree development will be crucial.  Depends on each player though. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, grouse747 said:

i've been looking at the final 8 NHL playoff rosters. so many key players who weren't drafted highly. many were developed by current team. some by a previous team.......... so much talk on this forum seems to revolve around getting more elite talent (which would be nice, and teams should always strive for this) as opposed to developing more talent ourselves.,

we seem to have a key core of six players. and i think most teams would be ecstatic to have that core 6 players.

excepting the goalie, all 5 of our core players were drafted in the first round. 3 in the top 10 picks.

we need to develop NHL calibre players........... and we need the players we have to play much better...... on both these criteria, i think the team/organization culture is really key. and i think our organizational/team culture is quite weak.

thanks in advance for any comments :) ..... somewhat of a reversal for me as i've said before that elite talent is the ultimate differentiator between teams. but that is partially because i thought/think developing decent NHL 3rd and 4th liners shouldn't be that difficult. and partially i was wrong, i think.

Hmmm, seems a good coach could accomplish these things but alas, we have Discount Green.

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I think to be successful the Canucks need to score more goals than the other teams and try harder to win more games.

What is the point of this thread again?

It’s actually quite simple:

1) Make the playoffs

2) Win the last game you play

• Haha 1

Exactly, we aren't getting help from outside. We have the pieces, they are just all under-performing. Whether that's due to individuals, the culture or the coaching staff, something needs to change. We've seen this team's potential in the playoffs against St. Louis and that shouldn't have been their peak, they should have grown from that but instead collapsee for various reasons.

Pettersson and Miller have to be much better, Bo can play better and more consistently, Schmidt can certainly play better as can Hughes defensively. Brock is the only one who improved last season.

The easy way out is a head coaching change but hopefully a proper offseason and assistant coach changes will be enough, we'll see. Our best players have to be the ones to drive this team through the playoffs and right now Miller, Petey, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat are far from the cores weve just witnessed dominate teams. They could not be further right now from the almost-dynasty-esque Lightning core of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Vasy.

14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly, we aren't getting help from outside. We have the pieces, they are just all under-performing. Whether that's due to individuals, the culture or the coaching staff, something needs to change. We've seen this team's potential in the playoffs against St. Louis and that shouldn't have been their peak, they should have grown from that but instead collapsee for various reasons.

Pettersson and Miller have to be much better, Bo can play better and more consistently, Schmidt can certainly play better as can Hughes defensively. Brock is the only one who improved last season.

The easy way out is a head coaching change but hopefully a proper offseason and assistant coach changes will be enough, we'll see. Our best players have to be the ones to drive this team through the playoffs and right now Miller, Petey, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat are far from the cores weve just witnessed dominate teams. They could not be further right now from the almost-dynasty-esque Lightning core of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Vasy.

We dont have the pieces.  We are about 7 major core pieces away from contending.  

On 7/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, lmm said:

2 goals and 6 points in 22 playoff games

the finals might have been a little closer had Gallagher put some bisquits in some baskets

But looking at Montreal scoring against Tampa

Suzuki, Anderson and Caufield put up multiple points

That is one average sized , one large and one small player

or was it just one line

Smurfs Gallagher and Byron got shut out

Agerage Toffoli  got shut out 

bug but old Perry and Staal got shut out

Gallagher certainly got a lot of attention and spewed a lot of red stuff when he got his head slammed on the ice (this is a rather disturbing trend in the league right now....was this the 3rd case this year?) however his production was minimal.  The Habs were exposed as thin down the middle with a pop gun offense.  They need some depth up front too.

I'd still take a guy with Gallagher's heart on my team any day

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Thanks 1