The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Kucherov's full post-game press conference... shirtless and drunk

Rate this topic

it not even a slight to say Montreal fans celebrated one win harder than probably all of Tampa celebrated winning the cup.

The funny part was saying Montreal's final was against Vegas. Cause it was so true.

Suck it Montreal!!!

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

the one part of the whole LTIR use thing thats sketchy to me is the miraculous timing of NK recovering. Teams are gong to use LTIR if its there, but its the BS around when a guy is healthy or not where the problem lies. 

Wonder if Bettman will create a penalty for teams abusing the LTIR ?

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's also the fact that he was playing with broken ribs and the Habs were clearly targeting them....

I too have no issue with his comments. In fact, I wish more pro athletes were this honest....

Refreshing really.  Could see the exhaustion.   I loved this interview.   

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, gurn said:

There is also the fact that he played 23 games.

I was tough on TB and for sure it wasn't fair playing with that cap.   But watched Seguins brutal re-hab video.   And sure Kucherov's wasn't much easier.    For sure he wasn't 100%, i had more muscles at 15 then he has, but he did it anyways.   Respect.   Bag face me all you want, what he said was way better then 95% of the route scripted stuff that athletes spout out after doing this.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Wonder if Bettman will create a penalty for teams abusing the LTIR ?

He will if the teams tell him to.....and I'm not even sure he can do it unilaterally. It may have to be agreed to in the CBA....

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I think Ovechkin had the perfect middle ground between the two extremes.

Well good for Ovi.   He did it better i guess.   So far Kuch gets mad respect for being the guy who can slide a beer can across a bar table like a pro and crack another he's hidden from view.  Used to love the personalities in the 70's and 80's.   Glad these guys aren't all Toew's like robots. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, gurn said:

I think in order to comment on a season, and diss a fan base; a player should play more than just the play off games.

I've also seen enough drunk people in my life I don't need to see it on t.v.

yvmv

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see how number of games played makes his words any more/less true. Kuch is one of, if not the best winger in the league. Leading the playoffs by so many points while missing the entire regular season, then playing through injury, makes his performance all the more impressive to me.

The Montreal fans rioted, they deserve to be called out imo. If the death threats were true, then even more deserving to call them out.

I agree I'd prefer the players to be sober when doing these. However, I like seeing a player give his honest opinion.

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, D-Money said:

There were some cap shenanigans going on all year to keep that D-core together. It may not have been as egregious as Tampa/Kucherov, but it was the same idea.

Getting mad about it is kind of hypocritical.

Agreed. Feels like selective memory.

Chicago did the same in 2015 with Kane. Funny enough, that was against Tampa.

So if any team deserves to use it to their advantage, Tampa is the perfect fit.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:54 AM, Maginator said:

Say what y'all want, but if Petey was in Kuch's shoes and said the same stuff... you would eat it up.

Also if it was the Leafs in the final and he was talking about their fans he’d have a statue erected in Vancouver.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Also if it was the Leafs in the final and he was talking about their fans he’d have a statue erected in Vancouver.

I don’t agree we’d be eating it up if Petey said but I have to agree with you on your Leafs comment.

I don't mind players talking trash about the opposing players but the opposing fans? Montreal fans probably pay more of Kucherov's salary than Tampa fans do so he should probably keep his mouth shut in that regard. I don't like Montreal or their fans particularly and I'm definitely for the NHL players speaking their minds more, but fans are off limits IMO.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Vintage 4

A drunk shirtless guy isn't entertaining to me so I'd have to say I don't see the hoopla over this presser.  I think he should have maybe shown some humility as a gracious winner versus a cocky one.  Manners never get boring to me.

People saying it shows "personality" - when it's someone hammered ripping others is that true personality or the booze talking?  Maybe it's just me, but I've seen too many of those clowns who've been up partying for 3 days then want the world to hear them.  No thanks.  Pass.

Kuchshirtoff went low and there was really no need for that.  I'll get flamed for this even though it's just my personal feeling about it all.  Handshakes and sportsmanship are part of the post game deal at a final...that should end the trash talk and there was a total lack of respect for that.  Even if it gets "boring" to hear the same ol' rhetoric after a series, it's also about allowing the losing team to be extended some dignity.   To go after the fans?  Weak.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm totally fine with trash talking other players. Ovechkin was toiling for years in the NHL before he won his cup. I'm ok with him going a bit overboard on the celebrations because there was a lot of hard work that he got rewarded for. Kuch as talented as he is, I kind of expected a little more tact, and there was no reason to be critical of the Montreal fans. 

Be happy you won. It's the hardest trophy to win. Just remember years from now people are still going to be seeing this press conference. If he was 24 or something and his first win sure. But he's 28 and second win in a row.

Now I regret the Islanders didn't win their series. 

• Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm totally fine with trash talking other players. Ovechkin was toiling for years in the NHL before he won his cup. I'm ok with him going a bit overboard on the celebrations because there was a lot of hard work that he got rewarded for. Kuch as talented as he is, I kind of expected a little more tact, and there was no reason to be critical of the Montreal fans. 

Be happy you won. It's the hardest trophy to win. Just remember years from now people are still going to be seeing this press conference. If he was 24 or something and his first win sure. But he's 28 and second win in a row.

Now I regret the Islanders didn't win their series. 

Exactly, great points.

Look, I love having fun and drunk people can be a hoot.  I just don't think a professional athlete's presser is the time to let it rip...the dressing room is the place for that.  When you hit the mic, it's a brief opportunity to show sportsmanship for a hard fought battle for ALL sides.  You've claimed the prize and there is  no more enemy territory.   Going after fans like that really didn't sit well with me.   

Fans are these guy's bread and butter, don't bite the hands that (in a roundabout way) feed you.  Arrogance really isn't something to celebrate for me and that's what I saw here.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1