The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I guess being a Canucks fan I should be used to disappointment.

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, mll said:

The Canucks did.  They used LTIR to add Toffoli and wouldn't have had the cap space otherwise.  Markstrom went on LTIR to finish the season.  Ferland spent most of the season on LTIR but was ready to go come the bubble.  If the season didn't go directly to the post-season the Canucks would have been well above the cap.

Funny thing about the crying about how the Bolts cheated by exploiting this so-called loophole that nobody mentions one important fact.  Back in 2015/2016, all the teams (then) voted to close this loophole.  The vote failed.  Only TWO teams voted to close the loophole.  Guess who one of the two teams were?  That’s right, Tampa Bay.  You might as well blame Aquilini/Jim Benning for not voting to close loophole as the St Louis were the other team that voted to close the loophole.:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Funny thing about the crying about how the Bolts cheated by exploiting this so-called loophole that nobody mentions one important fact.  Back in 2015/2016, all the teams (then) voted to close this loophole.  The vote failed.  Only TWO teams voted to close the loophole.  Guess who one of the two teams were?  That’s right, Tampa Bay.  You might as well blame Aquilini/Jim Benning for not voting to close loophole as the St Louis we’re the other team that voted to close the loophole.:lol:

I've been staying out of the GDTs for the most part because of all the saltiness....

...the so-called Cap circumvention, even though the Canucks did the same thing with Salo....(yes, I know the Bolts brought in a lot more salary....that makes it totally different...:rolleyes:)

....Bettman hates Canada and want his "pet" teams to win....yet, he somehow couldn't swing a Vegas - New York final.....

...The refs....even though the refs get their marching orders from the league and much like you point out above, the league gets it's marching orders from the teams. The games are being called the way the majority of teams governors has decided.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been staying out of the GDTs for the most part because of all the saltiness....

...the so-called Cap circumvention, even though the Canucks did the same thing with Salo....(yes, I know the Bolts brought in a lot more salary....that makes it totally different...:rolleyes:)

....Bettman hates Canada and want his "pet" teams to win....yet, he somehow couldn't swing a Vegas - New York final.....

...The refs....even though the refs get their marching orders from the league and much like you point out above, the league gets it's marching orders from the teams. The games are being called the way the majority of teams governors has decided.

Yup, complaining about the refs IS legit imho.  They’ve been consistent.   Consistently bad.   But yeah, they are only following orders from up high.

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Those 2 are different things, don't know why you would complain about them in the same sentence. Tampa Bay put Kucherov on LTIR until the playoffs. We also put Ferland on LTIR, that's how we got under the cap as well. So a Canuck fan complaining about this is actually quite ridiculous. 

Not really.

Ferland's still out and Kucherov, conveniently and miraculously "healed" right in time for the playoffs.  Also....a groin injury that he had hip surgery for (correct me if I am wrong) took longer to "heal" than my Dad's totally re-replaced hip (had to be scraped out then a new one put in) AND a broken femur will take to heal (and he's in his 80's).  Hmmmm....

A total hip replacement generally takes 6-8 weeks recovery time then (obviously) easing back in.  But I'm not sure how it takes a full 3-4 months of "easing back in" beyond that...seems a little suspect.

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

In the picture below I have highlighted the team I was rooting for in each round. My teams went 5/15 overall and 0/3 in the final two rounds.

Only good thing, after 50 years of being a Canucks fan I can drink a bunch of beers and shake it off.

DBD53338-9700-49AB-8451-F7E9F2C60E65.jpeg

can you post your bracket at the beginning of the next playoffs? it'll help my betting immensely. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

me too. 

I'm not upset at all that we don't have to hear all offseason and likely all of next year about Toffoli, and even worse how Podkolzin was a mistake pick before the kids even on the ice once for us. There's such a large element of the fan base that likes to trash us in comparison to Montreal I'm just fine with how things turned out. 

Our local vulture media would have been unbearable had Montreal pulled it off.

Price is amazing tho, I hope he gets a chance somewhere else. Weber too. Montreal had some really lucky breaks to make it as far as they did outside of Price's play, I don't see this repeating once things get back to normal regular seasons. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not really.

Ferland's still out and Kucherov, conveniently and miraculously "healed" right in time for the playoffs.  Also....a groin injury that he had hip surgery for (correct me if I am wrong) took longer to "heal" than my Dad's totally re-replaced hip (had to be scraped out then a new one put in) AND a broken femur will take to heal (and he's in his 80's).  Hmmmm....

A total hip replacement generally takes 6-8 weeks recovery time then (obviously) easing back in.  But I'm not sure how it takes a full 3-4 months of "easing back in" beyond that...seems a little suspect.

He had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip.  There are precedents from just this past season.  Seguin and Pastrnak were both announced out for 5 months after undergoing surgery for a torn labrum in the hip.

Seguin was only able to return 6 months later for 3 games at the end the season - surgery was early Nov and his 1st game back was early May.

Pastrnak had surgery mid-September and returned at the end of January missing 4.5 months.  

Kucherov got his surgery at the very end of December - 4.5 months before his 1st game.  His agent was apparently not comfortable with him returning that early.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

"I guess being a Canucks fan I should be used to disappointment."

Well, look at me, A Canucks, Bombers and Patriots fan since the mid 70's (and England in soccer).

Until the Brady - Belichick era,  hardly any championships - hardly any finals (England's first since 1966!).

Canucks 0

England 0
Bombers 4

Patriots 6

10 in 45 years of cheering (maybe 11 if England beats Italy on Sunday!).

Disappointment or just poor choices?  LOL

I'm an Eagles fan and Bombers fan. I thought I was legit scared of success. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

In the picture below I have highlighted the team I was rooting for in each round. My teams went 5/15 overall and 0/3 in the final two rounds.

Only good thing, after 50 years of being a Canucks fan I can drink a bunch of beers and shake it off.

Like George Costanza, bet the opposite of every thing next year and at least win some cash.

Ps the Toronto first round pick is irreconcilable.

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Like George Costanza, bet the opposite of every thing next year and at least win some cash.

Ps the Toronto first round pick is irreconcilable.

My first memories of hockey games in the early ‘70s always revolves around hating Montreal and that was bred deep into my core, growing up the Leafs were irrelevant so I never nurtured that severe hatred. My sole hatred of Toronto stems from the fact that for a good 10 years recently I had to travel there for work 5-6 times a year.

• Vintage 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:15 AM, Heretic said:

"I guess being a Canucks fan I should be used to disappointment."

Well, look at me, A Canucks, Bombers and Patriots fan since the mid 70's (and England in soccer).

Until the Brady - Belichick era,  hardly any championships - hardly any finals (England's first since 1966!).

Canucks 0

England 0
Bombers 4

Patriots 6

10 in 45 years of cheering (maybe 11 if England beats Italy on Sunday!).

Disappointment or just poor choices?  LOL

On 7/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, c00kies said:

I'm an Eagles fan and Bombers fan. I thought I was legit scared of success.

I've got you both beat....Canucks fan, Bills fan, Jazz fan, (although I was cheering for the Raps too) Lions fan, Whitecaps fan and Jays fan.

So far, I've seen two team victories for the Jays....about 30 years ago and the odd one from the Leos....in a six or seven team league....I also barely remember watching the Whitecaps win.....in a league that no longer exists....

Oh yeah, I also cheer for the Netherlands in International football....

On 7/8/2021 at 7:17 AM, CR7 said:

I'm just glad the season is over so our dim witted front office can get to work... Wait, oh damn, not sure I'm happy about that either... Well at least I have a couple days reprieve before I start pulling my hair out again... All kidding aside Tampa Bay built a fantastic team and out played Montreal, regardless of how people feel about the cap, Tampa was the better team. Congrats! At least we are not the Flames still clinging to our "Win" in 04 that was really a loss... 

Yeah, the Habs only real chance was for Price to continue his level of play and for there hot streak to carry over into July. 

• Like 1

I like Tampa Bay. Good strong team. Love their passing, pp setup, Hedman. 

Montreal meh allergic to tofu and arrogance. They would have rubbed our faces in it all year. 

I like Schenn glad he won it, I really like Sergachev and I was right that morning of his draft. Way more NHL ready. 

Tampa voted to close that loophole everyone's whinning about. Too funny. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I like Tampa Bay. Good strong team. Love their passing, pp setup, Hedman. 

Montreal meh allergic to tofu and arrogance. They would have rubbed our faces in it all year. 

I like Schenn glad he won it, I really like Sergachev and I was right that morning of his draft. Way more NHL ready. 

Tampa voted to close that loophole everyone's whinning about. Too funny. 

4 for 4 Harry,  I can’t argue with any of that.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:57 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Had I known 50 years ago what I know now I wouldn’t have started drinking so I could live longer and give myself better odds of seeing us win a Cup.

I quit being a full time fan after we drafted 5th in 2015. They put that new order rule in after the Oilers got McDavid. Who's the first team to get burnt by it ? Us.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:49 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

Do you still feel disappointed?