The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Timeline For Key Offseason Events

Rate this topic

HKSR

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So far the key dates I know of are:

July 9 - Buyout Period as per CapFriendly:  "For the 2021 off-season, the buyout period begins 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on July 27 at 5 pm EST."

July 17 - NHL Teams to submit Protection Lists for Expansion Draft

July 21 @ 5PM - Expansion Draft

July 23 and 24 - NHL Entry Draft

July 28 @ 9AM - Free Agency opens

Have I missed anything?  Or is any of this inaccurate?

I don't think so. Thanks for the post. It's nice to have all the key dates in one place, seeing as how Covid has f'ed them all up.

Much obliged, HKSR.

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So far the key dates I know of are:

July 9 - Buyout Period as per CapFriendly:  "For the 2021 off-season, the buyout period begins 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on July 27 at 5 pm EST."

July 13 - Deadline for teams to ask a player to waive their NMC for the Expansion Draft

July 16 - Last day to put a player on waivers prior to Expansion Draft.  Also deadline for players to agree to waive their NMC.

July 17 @ 3PM - Expansion Draft trade and waivers freeze begins.  Seattle can sign UFAs/RFAs and make trades.

July 17 @ 5PM - NHL Teams to submit Protection Lists for Expansion Draft

July 18 @ 10AM - NHL must approve and distribute protection lists to all NHL teams.  We will likely hear about the lists through media around this time.  Seattle can now interview pending UFAs and RFAs on exposure lists and may sign them.  Signing counts as selection from that team.

July 21 @ 5PM - Expansion Draft

July 22 @ 10AM - Trade and Waiver freeze is lifted

July 23 and 24 - NHL Entry Draft

July 28 @ 9AM - Free Agency opens

Have I missed anything?  Or is any of this inaccurate?

EDIT:  Added more.  Might have some of the times wrong as I'm not 100% sure if they're PST, CST or EST

Thank You.

Bookmarked.

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I think things will pickup really quickly.  The next few weeks will be a lot of fun for fans :)

Could definitely be 3-weeks where we see some significant changes across the league.

I'm curious if we'll see buyouts right away tomorrow or if there will be no action for a few days followed by a torrent of activity once the first buyout occurs.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

i believe there is a 48 hour window for seattle to speak to ufa/rfa exclusively starts on the 18th? 

From the transition rules:

The Expansion Club is permitted to sign a current or pending Free Agent on a Current Club's list of available Players during the period between 5:01 p.m. New York Time on July 18, 2021 and 4:59 p.m. New York Time on July 21, 2021, and in so doing will be deemed to have made its selection from such Current Club. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:40 PM, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

So we might only have another day or so of loui? Damn would that be nice

Haven't you heard? LE will finish out the final year here followed by a five year contract as empty net scoring coach. 

We will witness a grey haired wrinkled old Louie.  

Sorry for the negativity but I just don't believe he'll ever be gone.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Haven't you heard? LE will finish out the final year here followed by a five year contract as empty net scoring coach. 

We will witness a grey haired wrinkled old Louie.  

Sorry for the negativity but I just don't believe he'll ever be gone.  

Good chance, thus will be his best year as a Canuck