Winnipeg receives:

Schmidt

gadjovich

9OA

Vancouver receives:

Appleton

Demelo

17OA

Saves the canucks almost 2 mill in cap while winnipeg upgrades their defense. Swapping of picks is tough but personally think jim can still get a real good player at 17. Demelo and s a RHD with real good defense and a solid partner for quinn for at least 3 years at a good cap hit(3mill). Leaves us enough money to look for a good 3C. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Because both schmidt and demelo are better than harmonic? 

Demelo isn't an upgrade on Hamonic.  I'd rather keep the 9OA and re-sign Hamonic and keep Gadjovich as well who I think can be a power forward in this league.  Trade Schmidt for help up front and re-sign Hamonic and go and grab Hakanpaa as a UFA.  That's a much better solution.  

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Winnipeg receives:

Schmidt

gadjovich

Vancouver receives:

Appleton

Demelo

I think this is good enough. WPG is likely losing Appleton anyway, they get a ED protected body and a d upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is good enough. WPG is likely losing Appleton anyway, they get a ED protected body and a d upgrade. 

It doesn't fit their needs though.

They are looking for a steady D presence per Ates- not puck movers.  DeMelo was sorely missed during the post-season.  It's unlikely that they would want to move him.

The risk is also then losing Stanley if Appleton gets traded pre-expansion and that hurts their D-corps further.  Stanley is a defensive D who they hope will become a top 4.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

It doesn't fit their needs though.

They are looking for a steady D presence per Ates- not puck movers.  DeMelo was sorely missed during the post-season.  It's unlikely that they would want to move him.

I'm not sure it doesn't tho, they aren't exactly a scoring powerhouse from their d, and Nate does give them options and with a solid defensive partner he's not a liability at all. If Winnipeg wants to get their d a bit more mobile then he'd fit in fine. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

The risk is also then losing Stanley if Appleton gets traded pre-expansion and that hurts their D-corps further.  Stanley is a defensive D who they hope will become a top 4.  

I don't understand, why would moving Appleton open up losing Stanley? If they are going to protect DeMelo and/or Schmidt anyway Stanley is exposed either way. Or do you thin they don't protect DeMelo?

I'm not sure it doesn't tho, they aren't exactly a scoring powerhouse from their d, and Nate does give them options and with a solid defensive partner he's not a liability at all. If Winnipeg wants to get their d a bit more mobile then he'd fit in fine. 

I don't understand, why would moving Appleton open up losing Stanley? If they are going to protect DeMelo and/or Schmidt anyway Stanley is exposed either way. Or do you thin they don't protect DeMelo?

Who would that solid defensive partner be though - they are already looking for one while having DeMelo.  

If Appleton is exposed he is likely picked.  It leaves the Ds exposed intact.  If there is no Appleton for Seattle to pick they will probably lose Stanley.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Who would that solid defensive partner be though - they are already looking for one while having DeMelo.  

If Appleton is exposed he is likely picked.  It leaves the Ds exposed intact.  If there is no Appleton for Seattle to pick they will probably lose Stanley.

season 5 episode 20 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Appleton and Stanley will most likely both be left exposed by Winnipeg if they do nothing.  If they trade Appleton then that leaves only Stanley exposed and Seattle probably takes him.  If they don't trade Appleton then Appleton will most likely be the guy Seattle takes.

Stanley and Appleton are two players that fit the Canucks needs right now.  A stay at home defenceman who is big and strong and can fight and who could become a top 4 guy, and a speedy RW who can play on the 3rd line and move up into the top 6 when needed.  And both are in the 23-25 age group.

Unless Winnipeg trades them or does a side deal with Seattle, one of them will get taken by the Kraken.  Vancouver should look heavily into acquiring one of these players, if not both.  Schmidt can fill a need for Winnipeg and they would also be looking at younger guys that don't need exposure.  So a guy like Jett Woo they may be interested in.  

Appleton would be my first choice to try and make a deal with as we need a RW to fill that 2nd line/3rd line hole.  I firmly believe Podkolzin will come in and play a top 6 role right away, so you can play Appleton on the 3rd line.  

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Appleton and Stanley will most likely both be left exposed by Winnipeg if they do nothing.  If they trade Appleton then that leaves only Stanley exposed and Seattle probably takes him.  If they don't trade Appleton then Appleton will most likely be the guy Seattle takes.

Stanley and Appleton are two players that fit the Canucks needs right now.  A stay at home defenceman who is big and strong and can fight and who could become a top 4 guy, and a speedy RW who can play on the 3rd line and move up into the top 6 when needed.  And both are in the 23-25 age group.

Unless Winnipeg trades them or does a side deal with Seattle, one of them will get taken by the Kraken.  Vancouver should look heavily into acquiring one of these players, if not both.  Schmidt can fill a need for Winnipeg and they would also be looking at younger guys that don't need exposure.  So a guy like Jett Woo they may be interested in.  

Appleton would be my first choice to try and make a deal with as we need a RW to fill that 2nd line/3rd line hole.  I firmly believe Podkolzin will come in and play a top 6 role right away, so you can play Appleton on the 3rd line.  

If they can't protect Stanley, they can't protect Schmidt either.

Stanley is the type of D Winnipeg needs more of.   Ates  believes they will make sure not to lose him, DeMelo, Pionk and Morrissey.

To get Appleton - the deal would more likely have to be with Seattle.  Winnipeg doesn't have extra protection spots.

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Stanley is the type of D Winnipeg needs more of.   Ates  believes they will make sure not to lose him, DeMelo, Pionk and Morrissey.

To get Appleton - the deal would more likely have to be with Seattle.  Winnipeg doesn't have extra protection spots.

This is true.  However I do believe Schmidt fills a need for them. If you package Schmidt to Winnipeg to get Appleton then that alleviates the issue of losing Appleton. Seattle then has to choose between Schmidt and Stanley. Winnipeg can only lose one. If Seattle takes Schmidt then Winnipeg can keep Stanley and they free up $6 million in cap space to go after a UFA. If Seattle takes Stanley then Winnipeg can do the same thing. Go after a UFA to fill the gap. 

At the end of the day Winnipeg will lose something. Either they lose one of Appleton or Stanley or they lose the assets required to keep them both. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Or we trade them a young D (expansion draft exempt) they feel as good or better potentially than Stanley.  We don’t have those assets to give up, so it’s a no go.  

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  However I do believe Schmidt fills a need for them. If you package Schmidt to Winnipeg to get Appleton then that alleviates the issue of losing Appleton. Seattle then has to choose between Schmidt and Stanley. Winnipeg can only lose one. If Seattle takes Schmidt then Winnipeg can keep Stanley and they free up $6 million in cap space to go after a UFA. If Seattle takes Stanley then Winnipeg can do the same thing. Go after a UFA to fill the gap. 

At the end of the day Winnipeg will lose something. Either they lose one of Appleton or Stanley or they lose the assets required to keep them both. 

Don't see why they should gift Vancouver with Appleton.  They keep Stanley who has the higher ceiling than Schmidt and costs much less.  Cap space is at a premium with the cap expected flat through 2024/25.  Schmidt also not the kind of D they are looking for.  Just don't see the benefit for Winnipeg.  

I am not convinced that Schmidt wants out.  Nor am I convinced that we should trade him.  Defensemen of his quality are not easy to find.  I think we should let him go back to LHD and give him someone to work with.  He was at his best with McNabb.  Give him Hamonic, Ceci or Hakanpaa or someone like that and let him play.  He will be great. We should be adding/building not subtracting.

I would only trade him if it makes us overall better.  A real hockey trade.  A lot of the proposals I have seen are based on him wanted to leave not based on the real value of a legit 2-3 NHL defenseman.

Hughes Savard/Larson

Schmidt Hamonic/Ceci/Hakanpaa

OJ Myers

14 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Winnipeg receives:

Schmidt

gadjovich

9OA

Vancouver receives:

Appleton

Demelo

17OA

Saves the canucks almost 2 mill in cap while winnipeg upgrades their defense. Swapping of picks is tough but personally think jim can still get a real good player at 17. Demelo and s a RHD with real good defense and a solid partner for quinn for at least 3 years at a good cap hit(3mill). Leaves us enough money to look for a good 3C. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Demelo and Appleton, and then Benning can draft Ceulemans at #17

3 hours ago, mll said:

Trade for either player...Stanley 6'7, 230, 23..I would like him also in Vancouver ...Appleton 6'2 -W 

Trade Juolevi 23, 6'3 -- 2nd rounder 2021...Might have to add another middle round pick...