The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

On 7/10/2021 at 12:22 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Knowing Steve Yzerman and his shrewd ability to squeeze other GM's he isn't letting Bertuzzi go for that price.

He basically got a first, second round pick and a top six forward in Vrana for Mantha.  Bertuzzi played a big part of Detriot's first line in 2019-2020 that saw him become their best all around winger on the team.  It won't be a cheap price to acquire him. Id expect Yzerman will look to acquire a similar asking price he got for Mantha.

Richard Panik cap dump was part of that deal - not simply a return for Mantha.

Why are ppl in such terrible mood. Arguing over silly things...

It's summer, beautiful weather,  the city is open again after a pandemic. Lots of great sports on TV including Copa America last night and Eurocup today. 

What's the matter... sometimes best to log off for a bit and get out to enjoy the city and weather. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 4:54 PM, IBatch said:

I'm very curious to see how Yzerman goes about things in Detroit.   He had a pretty cushy gig in TB.   Holland didn't leave the cupboards bare, not even close, but his first crack at rebuilding after his last  core had mostly aged out wasn't stellar.   Detroit and Vancouver have a lot more in common then any other NHL team over the course of 2000-2014 as far as cycles go, sure they won two cups but only us and SJ won more regular season games too over that time frame.   Larkin and Horvat are close enough in age.   Mantha and Bertuzzi are their other assets from around that time.   They are maybe two years away from us as far as rebuilding goes, even though we started at the same time, both teams had little to work with after years of going for it.   

Nobody would be surprised if Detroit takes a full decade to get back to relevance.   Same as CAR, same as EDM.    I don't particularly like what we are going through as a team, but for sure understand it.   And for sure appreciate how long it takes.    No cupboards means just that.   For a nine year period Detroit actually got more out of the draft then we did yet we are ahead of them by a couple of years...Holland was the A class for two decades and ended up leaving.   Maybe we don't have it so bad after all do we. 

As far as Bertuzzi goes he'd be ok i guess.    Not really that stoked about him, but he's a decent enough player.   Injuries scare me so would rather stay away, plus i'd rather see our team spend the cap in other ways. 

Yeah, the team Yzerman inherited compared to JB were very different - Tampa was tanking and the Canucks were contenders during that period. 

In Detroit, it seems the owner & team president has fully bought into Yzermans’ rebuilding plan.  Unlike, Tampa were he inherited soild building blocks from Lawton (Hedman & Stamkos); in Detroit, he seems to be starting from scratch by trading away (even youngish assets - Mantha) for futures.  With the owners & management fully buying in, how this plan turns out will be all on Yzerman and it seems to be a challenge he relishes - will it add to his reputation or will it be tarnish somehow ?   At this point, the Tampa cup wins have only reinforced Detroits’ decision to bring him home but (imo) it will also take some luck for his plan to fully workout.  

We will just have to wait & see for now.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, lmm said:

it sounds like money ball to me

trade guys before they cost you a fortune (keeping their value high)

that is what I meant with Confidense

Steve Y would not get himself caught in a bad situation that would require blaming someone other than himself later on

Fans have been giving Jim a pass forever saying things like "Aqua demanded he not rebuild..."

I think the differense between Steve and Jim are Confidense  and Arrogance

Sometimes they are hard to tell apart

but I would choose a confident person to run my team

the Canucks seem to be a team run by an owner who wishes he was GM

a GM who wishes he was a scout

and a coach who longs for the good old days when there were no assistants (think of all the space behind the bench)

From there playing days alone, JB & Yzerman were at different levels - Yzerman was the Captain of a two time cup champion (just like Sakic).  As GM’s, it is really hard to compare both (right now) cause they both inherited very different teams - Yzerman inherited two good building blocks in Tampa; and his tenure with Detroit had just started, whereas JBs’ plan is still on going.  Perhaps let’s revisit this in a couple of years and see how further along both teams are.  

• Huggy Bear 1

Steve Y is rebuilding a new core. He got a great deal done at tdl.  He'll continue to gather top picks and prospects. 

I also expect Y to add a couple of skilled Russian players to the roster, via draft most likely. 

I think DET becomes a legit contender sooner than us. Y will do it the right way.  He won't try to rush things and make bad trades or sign bad contracts. He'll be patient and go into top end UFA market when the new core is ready and fully developed.

30 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Steve Y is rebuilding a new core. He got a great deal done at tdl.  He'll continue to gather top picks and prospects. 

I also expect Y to add a couple of skilled Russian players to the roster, via draft most likely. 

I think DET becomes a legit contender sooner than us. Y will do it the right way.  He won't try to rush things and make bad trades or sign bad contracts. He'll be patient and go into top end UFA market when the new core is ready and fully developed.

5 years out of the post season for the Red Wings now.

Still nowhere near a playoff team.

8 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Is Yzerman’s job on the line?  He’s had time there to rebuild, and still the club is horrid.  Who do they have for young talent that he’s brought in?  Compare his job to what Benning has done here and it’s not even close.  We have a core of great young players.  Detroit has nothing.  They are craperolla.  

• RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

?

The only signing of the Sedins Benning is responsible for is as 'special advisors'.

The whole 'Yzerman' would have traded them to 'speed up' the rebuild thing - is absurd.  People need to get real.

The whole question was theoretical and the purpose was to create a meaningful discussion among fans but it has (obviously) triggered a few in the forum instead.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • RoughGame 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Yzerman’s job on the line?  He’s had time there to rebuild, and still the club is horrid.  Who do they have for young talent that he’s brought in?  Compare his job to what Benning has done here and it’s not even close.  We have a core of great young players.  Detroit has nothing.  They are craperolla.  

Stevie Y has only been on the job for a couple of years, so its not on him, so I'm sure his job is safe.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

The goal is not to become a playoff team. The goal is to become a Stanley Cup Contender year after year. Like the old Redwings or the current Tampa Bay team. 

I think Y and the Wings get there before we do. He's only been there 2 years.

His first draft pick for DET was Moritz Seider 6th overall in 2019. We picked Podkolzin 10th.

Edited by WHL rocks

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Why are ppl in such terrible mood

Welp, seeing this doesn't help. I know, opinions and all that, but holy &^@# is seeing stuff like this depressing. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I think DET becomes a legit contender sooner than us

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Stevie Y has only been on the job for a couple of years, so its not on him, so I'm sure his job is safe.

He’s got no prospects other than Seider.  No goalie.  No centres.  He’s 5 years out at least.