Gillis re-signed the Sedins not JB

Oof.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:58 AM, lmm said:

oops 

you are correct 

signed in 2013

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

?

The only signing of the Sedins Benning is responsible for is as 'special advisors'.

The whole 'Yzerman' would have traded them to 'speed up' the rebuild thing - is absurd.  People need to get real.

dealt with the Sedin signing yesterday

when does "What if' = "Would have"

• RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I think that is the reason Detroit will go with Wallstedt at 6th overall. Gonna be tough to find that stud goalie.  If you think Wallstedt could be that guy then you take him. Yzerman has another first rounder plus 10 more picks to fill other holes.  

But then you look at how many goalies who are vezina winners are taken later in the first or in the second/third round and I think Yzerman doesn’t end up gambling.

Especially since there is no bonafide number 1 in this draft. Wallstedt or Cossa are both comparable and could either be number 1 goalies.

Better to look for the next Hasek or Osgood in later rounds and take a more sure thing center or D.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not that bad a list, imo.

DiPietro was injured, a lot, and never  the same

Fleury, won 3 cups, Vezina

Lehtonen 649 games played, 619 starts, credible career save % of .912 with 38 shutouts

Price

That’s 2 okay starters and 2 franchise changers over a 20 year period.

Don’t kid yourself that’s a horrible list. It gets even worse when you look at every 1st round pick goalie over that span.

And Wallstedt would be the highest drafted Swedish goalie ever taken. That’s a lot of hype for a goalie that doesn’t come with a whole lot of hype.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t kid yourself that’s a horrible list. It gets even worse when you look at every 1st round pick goalie over that span.

And Wallstedt would be the highest drafted Swedish goalie ever taken. That’s a lot of hype for a goalie that doesn’t come with a whole lot of hype.

True, the list also doesn't in the TB goalie, I believe the Washington Russian was a 1st also and maybe the NYI russian G or maybe he was a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on a G, especially as Canuck GM when you just signed Demko for 5 years and Mikey D is 1 more solid AHL year away from being a back up option for us.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not on your list, but fine goalies drafted in the first in the last 20 years include

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Semyon Varlamov 

Tuukka Rask

Corey Schneider

Ilya Samsonov

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not on your list, but fine goalies drafted in the first in the last 20 years include

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Semyon Varlamov 

Tuukka Rask

Corey Schneider

Ilya Samsonov

2 more goalies that could be considered franchise changers.

Again not impressive.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Again not impressive.

I just look at it and see a whole lot of great goalies, that had shortened careers due to injuries.

But nobody can see the future prior to drafting.

I'd rather have a bunch of those goalies than Alexander Daigle or many another forward or d man that didn't pan out.

If you see the goalie you want to build a team around, you get him; why chance him not being there in the second.?

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

I just look at it and see a whole lot of great goalies, that had shortened careers due to injuries.

But nobody can see the future prior to drafting.

I'd rather have a bunch of those goalies than Alexander Daigle or many another forward or d man that didn't pan out.

If you see the goalie you want to build a team around, you get him; why chance him not being there in the second.?

Because you can easily find many great forwards or defenseman who could have been taken in hindsight.

I’m willing to bet Stevie Y doesnt roll the dice on a goalie.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because you can easily find many great forwards or defenseman who could have been taken in hindsight.

Hindsight is perfect, isn't it?

Everybody, has regrets and wishes  except for the team with the first; and even they may regret their pick.

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hindsight is perfect, isn't it?

Everybody, has regrets and wishes  except for the team with the first; and even they may regret their pick.

Except with simple math you’d see the odds are much better at selecting a forward or defenseman that contributes to your club.

Quote me on it, Wallstedt will not go too 10.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

They have Zadina ... but yes they are a bit of a disaster.   They do have a better group then we do ... because ours are mostly on the team already.    I've been saying for a couple years now that Detroit is the closest thing to Vancouver that we can compare ourselves too, SJ is the other team but their re-tool had actual teeth to it.   On their last gasps now lol, poor them.    Detroit is going to suck for awhile longer, possibly quite some time.    Yzerman inherited some decent pool assets and Mantha, Bertuzzi and Larkin.   A lot more then Horvat and the worst pool on the league.      Will be curious to see how it all ends up.   Vancouver and Detroit both had a down year and re-tooled.   Holland was considered part of the cream of the crop for two decades.... but couldn't make it work.    JB also screwed things up but really did a better job drafting so far at least.    I'm all for taking the time needed too.   And understand that 1-3 of BB, Horvat and Miller could also go the way of Mantha, Bertuzzi and Larkin.    Not sure the CDC has the stomach for it though.    Within one or two seasons we will have to make similar decisions. 

It seems Hollands' tenure in Detroit just got tale; and both the team & him mutually agreed to separate.  He had a good run though - 3 cups.

Also, good take on the Sedins.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Again not impressive.

Yeah, Wallstedt seems to have alot of hype going for him right now; and will have to wait & see if he fulfills his billing  - perhaps JM 2.0 ?

Only saw him in the WJC and he wasn't able to carry a loaded Swedish team.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Except with simple math you’d see the odds are much better at selecting a forward or defenseman that contributes to your club.

Quote me on it, Wallstedt will not go too 10.

Wallstedt is supposed to be the best goalie prospect since Carey price. Odds are he is gone by 10 but stranger things have happened 

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Wallstedt is supposed to be the best goalie prospect since Carey price. Odds are he is gone by 10 but stranger things have happened 

Best since Carey Price? Do you have a quote on that?

Every time I’ve read about him people can’t seem to separate him from Cossa.

• Thanks 1

I doubt DET will use their 6th on Wallstedt given their other needs and they're in a pretty good spot if someone falls.

They also have 22nd overall and could draft Sebastian Cossa who, as well as Wallstedt, is also a really good G prospect and is ranked around that 22nd overall pick.

Kind of sucks that top college goalie Petruzzelli they had chose not to sign with them. He is a pretty good G prospect and will be a FA in August. If I were JB I would be calling him up but I expect him to sign closer to the east coast where he's from.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But then you look at how many goalies who are vezina winners are taken later in the first or in the second/third round and I think Yzerman doesn’t end up gambling.

Especially since there is no bonafide number 1 in this draft. Wallstedt or Cossa are both comparable and could either be number 1 goalies.

Better to look for the next Hasek or Osgood in later rounds and take a more sure thing center or D.

There is no sure thing in this draft.  Especially after the top 3 players. Norris trophy winners have been take in the 2nd round.  The entire draft is a gamble really. If they are high on Wallstedt they probably take him. If they think another goalie is just as good then I’m sure they will take somebody else with the 6th overall. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no sure thing in this draft.  Especially after the top 3 players. Norris trophy winners have been take in the 2nd round.  The entire draft is a gamble really. If they are high on Wallstedt they probably take him. If they think another goalie is just as good then I’m sure they will take somebody else with the 6th overall. 

Wallstedt is compared in style to Tukka Rask. Should/could actually go within top 10 based on consensus among European scouts. I see him going just outside between 11-15 but who knows. Someone always seems to get bounced from their expected position on draft day. Might even be Brandt Clarke this year with his skating becoming a hot topic. 

Anyway, scouting report on Wallstedt:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/21/jesper-wallstedt-scouting-report/amp/

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Best since Carey Price? Do you have a quote on that?

Every time I’ve read about him people can’t seem to separate him from Cossa.

I heard that from a good friend of mine that has been following him for a while... so I was going by word of mouth.

A simple Google of both names showed these as the first couple results... as I said before odds are good he is picked in the top 10.

Screenshot_20210711-213530_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-213257_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-213504_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Wallstedt is compared in style to Tukka Rask. Should/could actually go within top 10 based on consensus among European scouts. I see him going just outside between 11-15 but who knows. Someone always seems to get bounced from their expected position on draft day. Might even be Brandt Clarke this year with his skating becoming a hot topic. 

Anyway, scouting report on Wallstedt:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/21/jesper-wallstedt-scouting-report/amp/

That scouting report says he could be a franchise goaltender.  If that is the case I think he will go top 10 and Detroit will either take him at 6th or drop down a few to get him. 

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That scouting report says he could be a franchise goaltender.  If that is the case I think he will go top 10 and Detroit will either take him at 6th or drop down a few to get him. 

Very strong possibility of that for sure. Goalies are so hit and miss though but if it makes sense for anyone it’s definitely DET.

• Upvote 1