$4,450,000
 M-NTC
$4,450,000
 M-NTC
UFA

Roussel, Antoine LW 31
$3,000,000
UFA

Van trade No 9 draft pick and Roussel to Tampa for Cernak and Killorn.

Why Vancouver do this?

Vancouver will get top 6 forward and top 4 d-man instantly to improve roster next 2 years and beyond.

Cernak can use Roussel's cap space

Killorn can use LE's cap space.

Why Tampa do this?

Tampa will solve their crazy cap issue and can easily buy out Roussel last year's contract. They will love to have top No 9 draft pick to improve their prospect pool.

If TBL trade Killorn + Cernak (combined cap hit of $7.4m), then take on Roussel and buy him out it costs $1.73m.

So overall they clear $5.67m cap and lose two players in exchange for a 1st round pick. The problem is that they will need to spend around $5m to find a 1RD replacement for Cernak, so this move doesn't really help them. They will still have to move out more contracts.

Rather than your proposed deal what TBL want to get rid of are two out of these players: Johnson, Killorn, Palat, Gourde, McDonagh.

I think picks and prospects could be added as sweeteners, but unlikely their young roster players.

For example, I think they would be up for a Johnson + 1st round pick for future considerations deal, but that's about the best deal you'll get out of them IMO.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If TBL trade Killorn + Cernak (combined cap hit of $7.4m), then take on Roussel and buy him out it costs $1.73m.

So overall they clear $5.67m cap and lose two players in exchange for a 1st round pick. The problem is that they will need to spend around $5m to find a 1RD replacement for Cernak, so this move doesn't really help them. They will still have to move out more contracts.

Rather than your proposed deal what TBL want to get rid of are two out of these players: Johnson, Killorn, Palat, Gourde, McDonagh.

I think picks and prospects could be added as sweeteners, but unlikely their young roster players.

For example, I think they would be up for a Johnson + 1st round pick for future considerations deal, but that's about the best deal you'll get out of them IMO.

if i was tbl, i would try to get seattle to take one of Johnson or mcdonagh, and trade the other. they have to retool/rebuild. and they still will probably lose one of goodrow and coleman.

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Cernak is untradeable with his cap hit, potential and contributions. 

They'll lose a player in the expansion draft, then they'll use their first in 2022 with McDonagh to pawn him off on a team with more space. Think about it, they'll protect eight skaters which is Point, Kucherov, Stamkos and Cirelli for forwards and Foote, Hedman, Cernak and Sergachev on D. That way, they lose one of Gourde, Palat or Killorn guaranteed. They'll probably have to buyout Johnson, they'll trade McDonagh with what's left of their prospect pool and they'll spend the next few seasons of the NHL's most productive team. The Lightning's cap problems remind me of the Hawks in 2010. Just like the Hawks, Kucherov, Stammer and Point will all get old and they'll have to be replaced. This is how cap systems work and the Lightning won't win again with the depth they'll lose 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Cernak is untradeable with his cap hit, potential and contributions. 

They'll lose a player in the expansion draft, then they'll use their first in 2022 with McDonagh to pawn him off on a team with more space. Think about it, they'll protect eight skaters which is Point, Kucherov, Stamkos and Cirelli for forwards and Foote, Hedman, Cernak and Sergachev on D. That way, they lose one of Gourde, Palat or Killorn guaranteed. They'll probably have to buyout Johnson, they'll trade McDonagh with what's left of their prospect pool and they'll spend the next few seasons of the NHL's most productive team. The Lightning's cap problems remind me of the Hawks in 2010. Just like the Hawks, Kucherov, Stammer and Point will all get old and they'll have to be replaced. This is how cap systems work and the Lightning won't win again with the depth they'll lose 

McDonagh has been very good this post-season - even got votes for the Conn-Smythe.

Although his contract should be a deterrent to be picked by Seattle given age/cap hit, could still see them protect him over Foote.  There are concerns about speed with Foote - he didn't even play this post-season despite injury to Cernak and some games at 7 Ds.

Where did Eriksson go for Killorn to use his cap space?

Arvidsson makes only 200K less than Killorn and has struggled the past couple of seasons.  Still got a 2nd and a 3rd.  Would expect Tampa to have no problem finding a taker for Killorn without needing to take on a cap dump like Roussel.

Don't think a 1st round pick has much appeal for Tampa when they are in a win now mode.  Cernak is part of their core and is on a great contract.

Edited by mll

LE will either retire or his contract will be bought out for sure. Killorn can use his cap space.

Tampa doesn't want to lose Gourde, Palat or Killorn for nothing. with a high draft pick coming in. and dump salary cap of 7 mil+, it might be attractive.

9 minutes ago, tan said:

LE will either retire or his contract will be bought out for sure. Killorn can use his cap space.

Tampa doesn't want to lose Gourde, Palat or Killorn for nothing. with a high draft pick coming in. and dump salary cap of 7 mil+, it might be attractive.

Why would he retire?  Being exiled to Abbotsford is hardly Siberia.  Collect a $3 million cash salary for doing nothing.  Better chance we'll have rain/showers every day for the next two weeks.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

On 7/10/2021 at 8:33 PM, tan said:
Cernak, Erik D 24
$2,950,000
$2,950,000
UFA
Killorn, Alex LW 31
$4,450,000
 M-NTC
$4,450,000
 M-NTC
UFA

Roussel, Antoine LW 31
$3,000,000
UFA

Van trade No 9 draft pick and Roussel to Tampa for Cernak and Killorn.

Why Vancouver do this?

Vancouver will get top 6 forward and top 4 d-man instantly to improve roster next 2 years and beyond.

Cernak can use Roussel's cap space

Killorn can use LE's cap space.

Why Tampa do this?

Tampa will solve their crazy cap issue and can easily buy out Roussel last year's contract. They will love to have top No 9 draft pick to improve their prospect pool.

I think you are undervaluing Cernak and what he means to Tampa. 9th OA + Woo (ED exempt) for Cernak and a cap dump (Johnson, maybe @$1m retained?) might get it done. We would also need to move Schmidt to do this deal, as trading Loui isn't realistic without destroying our future, and seems unlikely that he'll outright retire. Him and Roussel buried would save us $2.25m, only slightly less than buyouts would save, without the extra year of term, and should be enough to make our other signings work.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Why would he retire?  Being exiled to Abbotsford is hardly Siberia.  Collect a $3 million cash salary for doing nothing.  Better chance we'll have rain/showers every day for the next two weeks.

And there’s no escrow in the minors, so Loui actually gets his full pay with no clawback.  20% of 3 million is how much of a bonus he gets for playing in Abbotsford?  I think he will be happier there.  Guy is clearly just showing up to cash his cheques now.  

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I think you are undervaluing Cernak and what he means to Tampa. 9th OA + Woo (ED exempt) for Cernak and a cap dump (Johnson, maybe @$1m retained?) might get it done. We would also need to move Schmidt to do this deal, as trading Loui isn't realistic without destroying our future, and seems unlikely that he'll outright retire. Him and Roussel buried would save us $2.25m, only slightly less than buyouts would save, without the extra year of term, and should be enough to make our other signings work.

9th overall has likely little value to Tampa when they are right in their contending window.  They are looking to win more Cups and Cernak is a key part of their team.

Tampa seem more likely to give up futures to keep their core together than trade them away for cap relief and hurt their chances of winning another Cup.

1 hour ago, mll said:

9th overall has likely little value to Tampa when they are right in their contending window.  They are looking to win more Cups and Cernak is a key part of their team.

Tampa seem more likely to give up futures to keep their core together than trade them away for cap relief and hurt their chances of winning another Cup.

They really have no choice with even the coaches and players saying they cant keep everyone and a top 10 pick regardless is actually good value even if they are in win now mode. 

i mean its pretty easy for them just to slide Foote in if they lose a dman in the ED. It doesnt hurt there chances that much.