The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which forward(s) should we target as UFA?

Rate this topic

Gawdzukes

33 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You may have me there. But when Loui is truly gone I’m taking my family out for dinner and I hope that we bring back my Loui reaction for the day on here. That would be nice.

As much as I understand about not wanting Loui around the younger players I get that! But the guy has singlehandedly hand cuffed us the last couple year. People blame Jim (I know he’s not perfect) but we wouldn’t have had any problems last year if Loui did the right thing and retired. He’s not an NHL player and hasn’t been for 2 years. I could handle it through the tough times a few years ago. His cap hit meant nothing, we weren’t competing then and Loui was serviceable. Not 6 million but you could play him on a checking line. That’s the point he should be at now - NOT when we first signed him. I was somewhat excited about Loui when we signed him, I mean the guy put up numbers. Played a 2 way game. Even scored nice goals. Really liked him on Dallas. Then boom cashed in and end of story. 

I will toast a drink with ya the day Loui is gone.

BTW. I’ve never felt this way about a player before. I sometimes see people write about so and so. Oh this guy is garbage. I say F that. For one they probably have no idea what they are talking about and two cheer for the guy, hope he succeeds. I did with LE for a couple seasons. But after that I just can’t stand to see the guy on the roster or even yet a cap hit next year because we bought him out. I just want the pain to stop 

Hang in there buddy. Just one more year of pain. It's just like the girl you dated for an extra 8 months because you couldn't stand to break her heart. Oh yeah that's right you did tell her it's over but she said you're still going out and kept hanging out at your house. Then she stole your car and just hangs out where you work now 24/7. She pretends everything is normal and you're just being cute when you say you can't stand her.

Oh yah, Loui's a stalker! :lol:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hang in there buddy. Just one more year of pain. It's just like the girl you dated for an extra 8 months because you couldn't stand to break her heart. Oh yeah that's right you did tell her it's over but she said you're still going out and kept hanging out at your house. Then she stole your car and just hangs out where you work now 24/7. She pretends everything is normal and you're just being cute when you say you can't stand her.

Oh yah, Loui's a stalker! :lol:

LOL pretty much sums it up.

No buyout, no assets moved. Just one more year, that’s my hope 

10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

LOL pretty much sums it up.

No buyout, no assets moved. Just one more year, that’s my hope 

Yeah, put him in Abbotsford where he belongs. class move by the organization to wait this long unless they want to save actual money and buy him out which to be honest I'd have no problem with as long as we're alright with the second year cap hit. We should be able to absorb it. There is the off chance another team takes him at the deadline if he lights up the AHL. :blink: <_< You never know.

But I agree 100%. It's a joke he's costing this much. Teams should be able to get out of horribly performing players much easier. You're either worth the contract you negotiated or you aren't.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

But I agree 100%. It's a joke he's costing this much. Teams should be able to get out of horribly performing players much easier. You're either worth the contract you negotiated or you aren't.

Yes I agree to a point. It’s suppose to make it so you can’t negotiate a stupid contract just to get the player. Kinda like “oh well if he sucks in a few years we can get rid of him”. So I understand why. It’s just frustrating with a guy like Loui.

His cap hit is only 1 million next year if we buy him out but this year it’s about the same amount as it will be if he’s buried in the minors. Honestly I’d do a happy dance if he was bought out but in a perfect world I just don’t want to go on Cap friendly next year and see LE on there still putting the screw to us no matter how minimal lol

Edited by Devron44
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

You may have me there. But when Loui is truly gone I’m taking my family out for dinner and I hope that we bring back my Loui reaction for the day on here. That would be nice.

As much as I understand about not wanting Loui around the younger players I get that! But the guy has singlehandedly hand cuffed us the last couple year. People blame Jim (I know he’s not perfect) but we wouldn’t have had any problems last year if Loui did the right thing and retired. He’s not an NHL player and hasn’t been for 2 years. I could handle it through the tough times a few years ago. His cap hit meant nothing, we weren’t competing then and Loui was serviceable. Not 6 million but you could play him on a checking line. That’s the point he should be at now - NOT when we first signed him. I was somewhat excited about Loui when we signed him, I mean the guy put up numbers. Played a 2 way game. Even scored nice goals. Really liked him on Dallas. Then boom cashed in and end of story. 

BTW. I’ve never felt this way about a player before. I sometimes see people write about so and so. Oh this guy is garbage. I say F that. For one they probably have no idea what they are talking about and two cheer for the guy, hope he succeeds. I did with LE for a couple seasons. But after that I just can’t stand to see the guy on the roster or even yet a cap hit next year because we bought him out. I just want the pain to stop 

Precautionary tale when acquiring or signing players to there last big FA contract - a team has to be better at finding out about these players characters or have better outs.

I will also celebrate when LE is nothing but a bad memory

Great back & forth

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ferland's contract wasn't insured so even if he's on LTIR, the hockey team who owns him will still have to pay him (and not an insurance company).  Significantly fewer teams want that kind of real cash expense.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I guess if we ever moved Ferlund, it would be to the big market teams rather than the low budget ones. Regardless, the more important thing is the LTIR save on the Cap. 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

#firelouieriksson 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yes I agree to a point. It’s suppose to make it so you can’t negotiate a stupid contract just to get the player. Kinda like “oh well if he sucks in a few years we can get rid of him”. So I understand why. It’s just frustrating with a guy like Loui.

His cap hit is only 1 million next year if we buy him out but this year it’s about the same amount as it will be if he’s buried in the minors. Honestly I’d do a happy dance if he was bought out but in a perfect world I just don’t want to go on Cap friendly next year and see LE on there still putting the screw to us no matter how minimal lol

If he does end up playing in Abby for a game/s, I'd buy a ticket and make a sign for him that says, "you f_cked us 30 million times already, isn't that enough?" 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

It saves nothing on the cap, the team that aquires him would still need to fit Ferland under the cap before getting any replacements.

the path on hulu GIF by HULU

How about we trade for Eichel?  He gets neck surgery and is on LTIR for all 82 games.  He practices like a demon and is ready for the playoffs.  

Alf is a crazy fury bastard this morning! :frantic:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How about we trade for Eichel?  He gets neck surgery and is on LTIR for all 82 games.  He practices like a demon and is ready for the playoffs.  

that would be hilarious! really go for a cup eh? 

I like your moxy

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bettman would probably change the cap rules soon after we made the trade 

Kind of like the Oilers and all of those 1sts, they had to change the drafting rules. And, I believe the rule change happened the year the Canucks finished 3rd last. They were then bumped to 5th (Juolevi), and have been bumped every year since. Well, except this last one where we stood still. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bettman would probably change the cap rules soon after we made the trade 

Kind of like the Oilers and all of those 1sts, they had to change the drafting rules. And, I believe the rule change happened the year the Canucks finished 3rd last. They were then bumped to 5th (Juolevi), and have been bumped every year since. Well, except this last one where we stood still. 

Yeah, sounds about right. It's been amazing how almost every time the league has made a change over the last 2 decades it seems to always come around and effect the Canucks in a negative way. I'm not trying to say it's intentional or a conspiracy, just sucks how it usually works out.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm hoping we go after 2 guys like Foegle, Kuraly, Coleman or Goodrow if possible on 2-3 year deals. And then maybe Brett Ritchie and Riley Sheahan on something closer to league minimum.