The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] At what point, would using our 9OA as a sweetener be acceptable?

Here’s my thing:

If a 2nd round pick OR a [3rd rounder + mid prospect]  isn’t enough to move Roussel or Beagle, then what options do we really have in terms of clearing cap?

-Virtanen buyout only save 2.5 million

-If you move Nate Schmidt, then you need to bring in another top 4 dman for basically the same price.

Edler, Sutter, and Baertschi money goes to Petey and Hughes......at minimum.

So, essentially, if we can’t move Beagle and/or Eriksson with a reasonable sweetener, we are pretty much bringing the same team back next season...........which we might not mind (big picture in mind), but will most certainly rub the players, media, and casual fans the wrong way.....which could lead to a toxic environment this coming season.  

If none of Eriksson, Beagle, or Roussel are being moved, we are pretty much bringing the same team back next season.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Here’s my thing:

If a 2nd round pick OR a [3rd rounder + mid prospect]  isn’t enough to move Roussel or Beagle, then what options do we really have in terms of clearing cap?

-Virtanen buyout only save 2.5 million

-If you move Nate Schmidt, then you need to bring in another top 4 dman for basically the same price.

Edler, Sutter, and Baertschi money goes to Petey and Hughes......at minimum.

So, essentially, if we can’t move Beagle and/or Eriksson with a reasonable sweetener, we are pretty much bringing the same team back next season...........which we might not mind (big picture in mind), but will most certainly rub the players, media, and casual fans the wrong way.....which could lead to a toxic environment this coming season.  

If none of Eriksson, Beagle, or Roussel are being moved, we are pretty much bringing the same team back next season.

Unless we’re lucky enough to lose Holtby in the expansion draft. That would give us $4.3 million to play with next season.

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:59 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Not for clearing cap.

I'd want a solid young player that will fit in with the core of this group. Young top 6 forward or top 4 D

Bingo.

Clearing cap is useless because...Canucks ain't winning next year. Draft and be patient, let the contracts expire.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Bingo.

Clearing cap is useless because...Canucks ain't winning next year. Draft and be patient, let the contracts expire.

You’re right that the Canucks aren’t winning the cup next year but they need to make progress next season to appease players, fans, and stakeholders.   

In theory, “standing Pat” and doing nothing this off season is wonderful since we have a boatload of bad contracts coming off the book on July 1st 2022 anyways.......right?  Wrong.  Atleast in my opinion.

If the Canucks have another poor season next season, guys like Miller and Myers will start to wonder as to why they were brought in?  Guys like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes will start to wonder as to why management seemingly “gave up” on them and went in a different direction (ie letting Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev walk) after an impressive 2nd round showing.

Management needs to be careful how they treat next season because there were rumblings this past season that a few of the players were not happy with what appeared to be a change in direction.  Management might need to prove to the players that 2019-2020 was NOT an anomaly....,,and that the anomaly was this past season, similar to the Canucks’ 2007-2008 season........which goes back to my main point.    

“Riding out” this coming season might be wonderful in theory, but players and casual fans will start to get pissed at management if it actually plays out like that.

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

Unless we’re lucky enough to lose Holtby in the expansion draft. That would give us $4.3 million to play with next season.

I don’t think Dipietro is ready to assume back up duties just quite yet.  Demko could use another year of being insulated as well.  I’m all for clearing cap but not at the expense of Holtby just yet.  

On 7/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, Patel Bure said:

I think most of us would agree that using our 9OA as a sweetener to get move Roussel would be ill-advised and stupid.

On the flip side, I think most of us would agree that if someone offered to take on ALL of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel for our 9OA, we’d likely jump at the opportunity (and no, I’m not saying that anyone would actually offer us that).

I guess my main question is this:   Although all of us on here value 1st round picks and generally know where this team is at in its development, at what point would say, “you know what?.....that’s a hell of an offer in terms of allowing us to clear cap space and be a major player in this year’s offseason.  DEAL.”

Does.....

9OA + Eriksson to it for you?

9OA + Beagle + Roussel?

9OA + Eriksson + Beagle or Eriksson + Roussel?

Or, would it take an insane offer of Eriksson + Beagle + Roussel + 9OA?   

Or maybe, you’d never give up the 9th in a million years?

For me personally, 9OA + Eriksson gets my attention.   I’ve flirted with the thought of 9OA + Eriksson for Evander Kane as some of you know, but I honestly don’t know if I’d go through with that.  The idea does appeal to me a LOT however.  For all of Evander’s douchery, he’s exactly what this team needs in many ways.

9OA + Eriksson + Beagle or 9OA + Eriksson + Roussel and I drive those players to the airport myself, and I go hard at both Adam Larsson and Mikael Granlund.

So my question to you is as follows:  

1) At what offer do you willingly give up the 9th as a sweetener?

2) With that frees up cap space, who do you target?

I don't think there's any scenario where trading a ninth OA pick makes sense.

We are still many pieces away from being a contender.

Drafting should still be the strategy for the Canucks.

As for ninth OA, as a sweetener?

Maybe in a Draisitl deal, or Barkov.

It would have to be for somebody pretty special.

6 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

You’re right that the Canucks aren’t winning the cup next year but they need to make progress next season to appease players, fans, and stakeholders.   

In theory, “standing Pat” and doing nothing this off season is wonderful since we have a boatload of bad contracts coming off the book on July 1st 2022 anyways.......right?  Wrong.  Atleast in my opinion.

If the Canucks have another poor season next season, guys like Miller and Myers will start to wonder as to why they were brought in?  Guys like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes will start to wonder as to why management seemingly “gave up” on them and went in a different direction (ie letting Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev walk) after an impressive 2nd round showing.

Management needs to be careful how they treat next season because there were rumblings this past season that a few of the players were not happy with what appeared to be a change in direction.  Management might need to prove to the players that 2019-2020 was NOT an anomaly....,,and that the anomaly was this past season, similar to the Canucks’ 2007-2008 season........which goes back to my main point.    

“Riding out” this coming season might be wonderful in theory, but players and casual fans will start to get pissed at management if it actually plays out like that.

Yes and no....fans won't really go anywhere. They might not sell out but they'll come back they always do.

Players can get upset sure. They can get traded. 

Management won't stand pat they will change it up just enough to improve bit stay on the plan if that makes sense.

Jake gets bought out, Seattle takes some money and the ball is rolling!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Yes and no....fans won't really go anywhere. They might not sell out but they'll come back they always do.

Players can get upset sure. They can get traded. 

Management won't stand pat they will change it up just enough to improve bit stay on the plan if that makes sense.

Jake gets bought out, Seattle takes some money and the ball is rolling!

Jake gets bought out, YES, but Seattle will apparently be very careful with regards to adding bad contracts.  I guess we’ll see what happens!

11 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t think Dipietro is ready to assume back up duties just quite yet.  Demko could use another year of being insulated as well.  I’m all for clearing cap but not at the expense of Holtby just yet.  

There are plenty of dependable backups available this year that could be signed as a replacement for Holtby.  Laurent Broissoit is one example.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, Patel Bure said:

Or, would it take an insane offer of Eriksson + Beagle + Roussel + 9OA?   

Who knew that one of my insane ideas would actually pan out?  LOL.

@bigbadcanucks - I guess you were right eh?  Throw enough $$$$ against the wall and some of it may stick?  :-p.

In all seriousness, I like this deal a lot.  Garland is one of the most underrated players in the league, and OEL still has game (and will age reasonably well).