The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

He can skate and he still has upside, sure. It’s not so much the player as the price paid to obtain said player and cap hit. Look at comparables (factoring in his age demo) in his position with whom might be available and it seems questionable, especially when CHI was desperate to shed a body for the upcoming expansion draft.

If it was a 1 year deal it would probably be more easily digested. But to have another 5.5 against the cap for a 39 year old dman next year (depending on his performance this season) it’s valuable cap that is consumed. Especially if they upgrade their roster and he’s demoted to bottom pairing or 7th man.

Would be crazy if he regressed further and actually retired after this season. Someone mentioned that CHI would be on hook for the last year of his contract. Can’t imagine he’d stick it to CHI like that…but he’s a POS so time will tell, haha

Either way it's not Edmonton's problem. In that way it's good for them. He plays up to expectations or retires. For a 3rd rounder and little valued Caleb Jones it's not that big of a price.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They still have Klefbom and Nurse. What exactly are they planning to do with Keith?

Apparently Klefbom is questionable for the 21-22 season.  So I'm guessing his rehab from shoulder surgery isn't progressing well.

48 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

If I’m a betting man id say they make a push with Kane and Toews. Tough in big markets to do the right thing for the future and just bite the bullet.

I bet they could get a haul for Kane right now if Kane was down for the trade. He hasn’t slowed down. I haven’t looked if he has a NTC but I’m sure he does. Wouldn’t get a ton for Toews after missing and entire year imo.

But you are right should be very interesting what they do. Maybe a final push before their contracts expire and lose them to Free Agency or Resign them for too much hopefully. Kinda like the Capitals are about to do with Ovechkin. Which btw I’m fine with. Be interesting to see him chase Gretzkys record but they won’t be winning a cup again until after Ovechkin is gone and they rebuild imo.

Both Kane and Toews have NMC.  Kane would get a good haul if traded.  Toews will probably be LTIR since his illness diagnosis. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, mll said:

They are still looking to sign Larsson:

Wow. Okay. That second quote by Holland doesn’t inspire confidence. My guess is that he’s hitting free agency. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Adam Larsson would be about the only guy that would make sense for Benning to go after as a big name UFA.

What would he cost to acquire? 

Probably wants term and money. 

5.5 million over 6 years? 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He’d be a great partner for Hughes or Schmidt.

alas we are in cap purgatory for 1 more season.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

They still have Klefbom and Nurse. What exactly are they planning to do with Keith?

Just like the Leafs the Soilers younger core is full of crunch time losers.  So, like the Leafs, it’s time to bring in an old guy (who’s clearly washed up) to change the loser mentality.  It worked so well for the Leafs, didn’t it?  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, RWJC said:

He can skate and he still has upside, sure. It’s not so much the player as the price paid to obtain said player and cap hit. Look at comparables (factoring in his age demo) in his position with whom might be available and it seems questionable, especially when CHI was desperate to shed a body for the upcoming expansion draft.

If it was a 1 year deal it would probably be more easily digested. But to have another 5.5 against the cap for a 39 year old dman next year (depending on his performance this season) it’s valuable cap that is consumed. Especially if they upgrade their roster and he’s demoted to bottom pairing or 7th man.

Would be crazy if he regressed further and actually retired after this season. Someone mentioned that CHI would be on hook for the last year of his contract. Can’t imagine he’d stick it to CHI like that…but he’s a POS so time will tell, haha

I don't think he's that big of a pos...I mean that women thing was bad for sure but I can think of an icon that gave the Canucks a cap problem.

I think part of the problem is no one wants to play in Edmonton so I don't think there are that many players available.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't think he's that big of a pos...I mean that women thing was bad for sure but I can think of an icon that gave the Canucks a cap problem.

I think part of the problem is no one wants to play in Edmonton so I don't think there are that many players available.

I agree about not wanting to play in EDM. That’s likely a very strong factor, not to mention paying income tax in Canada while playing in EDM. Double whammy.

But Keith often played dirty with attempt to injure. For me it takes the shine off how skilled he really is/was. I like rough hockey, but he borderline committed assault many, many times. I’ll give him this too, at least he never shied away from the repurcussions.

I already posted the elbow on Daniel Sedin. Here’s a few more highlights to consider:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Wow, sucks to be an Oilers fan right now.

You tie up over 5 million in cap space on one of the worst D men in the league, making it hard to re-sign the guys who are worth it. Can't believe that they gave up a young player AND a draft pick for Keith at this age, without Chicago even retaining salary.

Stan Bowman just gave Holland a wedgie and stole his lunch money for the next 2 years 

If I'm a UFA, I'm thinking twice about signing with Edmonton with the amount of dead space they now have, will be hard to fill out a supporting lineup for McDavid.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wow, sucks to be an Oilers fan right now.

You tie up over 5 million in cap space on one of the worst D men in the league, making it hard to re-sign the guys who are worth it. Can't believe that they gave up a young player AND a draft pick for Keith at this age, without Chicago even retaining salary.

Stan Bowman just gave Holland a wedgie and stole his lunch money for the next 2 years 

If I'm a UFA, I'm thinking twice about signing with Edmonton with the amount of dead space they now have, will be hard to fill out a supporting lineup for McDavid.

if they had waited a day they could have gone after Sutter. Ouch. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I agree about not wanting to play in EDM. That’s likely a very strong factor, not to mention paying income tax in Canada while playing in EDM. Double whammy.

But Keith often played dirty with attempt to injure. For me it takes the shine off how skilled he really is/was. I like rough hockey, but he borderline committed assault many, many times. I’ll give him this too, at least he never shied away from the repurcussions.

I already posted the elbow on Daniel Sedin. Here’s a few more highlights to consider:

Yeah Keith's always been a psycho. He'll fit in well in Edmonton.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

he's not my favourite player, but he does make sense as a long term partner with Hughes. I'd have to take a gravol tho if Jim offered 6 mil. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Yep totally agree all around.

Lots of dirty plays for sure but I have seen my fair share of dirty from lots of players I have enjoyed.