The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

Too many pharmaceuticals floating around in the Edmonton board rooms?

Perhaps Katz likes the fact that the deal is for 5.3 million at 2.1 and 1.5 of salary and had a hand in the deal?

Maybe he didn't make enough money in pharm and real estate during the pandemic......:sick:

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

2 x 5+

NMC

Who would want to inflate their stats riding on McMe/Draisaitl? 

(Barrie just finished re-inflating himself on a one year 3.75 deal...)

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/defenseman/ufa/

Suter

Goligoski

Hamilton

Hjalmarsson

Murray

Demers

Cole

Savard

Larsson

Martinez

Montour

Gustafsson

Nemeth

Oleksiak

Vatanen

Hamonic

We can presume that no one would want to go to Edmonton?

Not to mention the defensemen that teams are going to shop due to expansion draft exposure...

@DeNiro made the (good) point - that Schmidt was had for less, last offseason.....expansion is likely to only enhance the buying opportunities imo (and might make it even more precarious for free agents, as well).

There's really no guarantee that any one of those guys would have went to Edmonton, even for over payment. Also, none of those guys could really offer what Keith brings.

Schmidt was had for less, but he comes at a higher cap hit, and I don't know for sure if he's all that much better than Keith. Also, Schmidt had a NTC, and somewhat controlled his destination. Schmidt prob would not have waived to go to Edmonton. 

Maybe Hamonic wants to stay in Western Canada, but that doesnt mean he'd sign in Edmonton. 

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Been trying to get my head around this trade but it makes no sense. Holland actually believes Keith will make the Oilers better and is worth that cap hit for 2 more years? Ok...

Then of course Minny bought out Parise and Suter which makes even less sense, so now I'm confused about that instead ;-)

Maybe he's banking Keith will still have one good year in him and maybe retires the next season. Or use some the LTIR magic 

Edited by iinatcc

While maybe not the best trade in the world, the more I think about it the more this trade makes sense for Edmonton. Keith fills a gaping hole in Edmonton, that of a veteran leadership presence that can still play the game. He may not be a Norris contender anymore but his approach to the game and experience could be vital in bringing their core to the next level.

That being said, the Oilers still have some massive holes in their lineup and I'm kind of hoping they fail miserably next season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

There's really no guarantee that any one of those guys would have went to Edmonton, even for over payment. Also, none of those guys could really offer what Keith brings.

the whole 'no one would want to go to Edmonton' thing is pointless imo.  there's no saying either way but we hear that all the time and players go where no one thinks they would/should - that there are no 'guarantees' is no reason to make a panic move overpayment for Keith - right before arguably one of the best times to be a buyer.

If you can't sell the opportunity to feed on McMe1st and Draisaitl - you probably should not be GMing in the NHL.

The additional thing that some people aren't considering - aside from the age, cap hit, decline, NMC and expansion draft - is that Keith limited Chicago's option to the 'west coast' - and Holland still could not translate all that into leverage.   He needed to be prepared to walk away at the wrong price - and clearly, he was not.

The second bolded part is just a bad take = there are at least a half dozen guys on that list that I'd take over a 38 yr old Keith - and most on that list will probably sign for comparable or better terms, without the NMC - and after the expansion draft meaning no need to spend a spot on them.

Keith should be able to uptick on his poor numbers in Chicago - but the argument (ie that Button is making) - that no one would have had good numbers in Chicago last year is bizarre.   First - on a powerplay that has guys like Kane and DeBrincat, Keith had a goal and 5 assists....playing over 18 minutes at es a game, he had 6 assists....beyond his ability to produce, is Keith really 'all that' - as you are suggesting - as if 'no one else in that free agent class can bring what he does'? 

The assumption that he's going to get better at 38 yrs old - is an odd bet imo - when the signs of decline are there (further decline would probably be the 'better' bet).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

While maybe not the best trade in the world, the more I think about it the more this trade makes sense for Edmonton. Keith fills a gaping hole in Edmonton, that of a veteran leadership presence that can still play the game. He may not be a Norris contender anymore but his approach to the game and experience could be vital in bringing their core to the next level.

That being said, the Oilers still have some massive holes in their lineup and I'm kind of hoping they fail miserably next season. 

That’s the crux of it all though. Did bringing in Keith effectively weaken their D corps with Barrie and Larsson potentially lost to FA due to reduced cap space. Unless they planned to retool their D and assumed Klefbom was unfit, his LTIR dollars could  have gone to re-upping those two. Instead it went to Keith. Leaves a gaping hole that will be interesting to see who they fill with.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:17 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder how many years Holland extends him for.

Please… that would be awesome.  

Why does every GM suck in Edmonton since Sather left.  It’s been that bad.  Is Lowe still involved… gotta be something in the water, Edmonton isn’t nearly as bad as Calgary was to live in, would rather go to Jasper vs Banff, especially if your wanting privacy.  

honeslty. Kieth is no Chris Chelios. He would have to even better to be worth the price paid. IMO.  

• Vintage 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, Patrik Laine said:

Bahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhaahahaha

Had to necro bump this just to say:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!  SUCK IT OILERS!!!!!

Why they thought bringing in Keith was a good idea still boggles my mind... but carry on... McDavid and Draisatl are getting older by the day LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Please… that would be awesome.  

Why does every GM suck in Edmonton since Sather left.  It’s been that bad.  Is Lowe still involved… gotta be something in the water, Edmonton isn’t nearly as bad as Calgary was to live in, would rather go to Jasper vs Banff, especially if your wanting privacy.  

honeslty. Kieth is no Chris Chelios. He would have to even better to be worth the price paid. IMO.  

What’s bad about living in Calgary?

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Did my 3 yr tour-of-duty there, back in the late 80's. Gawd I missed the ocean so badly.

S'pose if one is raised there, wouldn't know what you're missing. For those of us who grew up around Van in the 70's & 80's, heavy nostalgia is in the cards.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Did my 3 yr tour-of-duty there, back in the late 80's. Gawd I missed the ocean so badly.

S'pose if one is raised there, wouldn't know what you're missing. For those of us who grew up around Van in the 70's & 80's, heavy nostalgia is in the cards.

I liken living in Vancouver to driving a Lamborghini, and Calgary to something like a Honda Civic. Is a Civic as nice as a Lamborghini? Not even close. But honestly if you aren't making Lamborghini money, you might be better off just getting the civic. Its a nice little car, reliable enough to get you from A to B, and affordable enough to keep money in your wallet to actually pay for other things,. The Lamborghini is awesome, but if the majority of your paycheque goes towards maintaining it, are you really getting your money's worth?

And then there's cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg which are closer to something like a 1975 Ford Pinto.

Honestly I was raised in coastal BC, and I love living here in Vancouver, but its getting so expensive I'm starting to question if I'm really getting my money's worth. I go hiking all the time, but after a certain point is that really worth the cost of living? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Generally Calgary. 

lived there and worked from there for 4-5 years.  

Urban sprawl and lax building codes with the legacy of Ralph Kline… 

Edmonton has a downtown that is livable and the preservation of the River Valley, as a green space, well, it’s vastly more livable and enjoyable downtown.  

Devonian Gardens is nice and when the foothills and Bragg creek weren’t suburbs of Calgary and the Sour Gas wells weren’t drilled in Kanaskis Provincial Park, but it’s Alberta.  

I would choose Calgary over Lethbridge, but not sure if I would chose Calgary over Red Deer… it’s that bad.  It’s in there for me.  

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Generally Calgary. 

lived there and worked from there for 4-5 years.  

Urban sprawl and lax building codes with the legacy of Ralph Kline… 

Edmonton has a downtown that is livable and the preservation of the River Valley, as a green space, well, it’s vastly more livable and enjoyable downtown.  

Devonian Gardens is nice and when the foothills and Bragg creek weren’t suburbs of Calgary and the Sour Gas wells weren’t drilled in Kanaskis Provincial Park, but it’s Alberta.  

I would choose Calgary over Lethbridge, but not sure if I would chose Calgary over Red Deer… it’s that bad.  It’s in there for me.  

I grew up outside of Vancouver and lived in van/Richmond for years. No doubt van is a very beautiful place that Calgary and Edmonton can't compete with. 

But I find people are generally the same wherever I've been.

I really noticed and hated the amount of rain every time I came home though and would say I had way more fun at Flames/ Canuck games at the saddledome than I ever had in Vancouver. Me and my harvy is a fleabag Tshirt. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, McBackup said:

I liken living in Vancouver to driving a Lamborghini, and Calgary to something like a Honda Civic. Is a Civic as nice as a Lamborghini? Not even close. But honestly if you aren't making Lamborghini money, you might be better off just getting the civic. Its a nice little car, reliable enough to get you from A to B, and affordable enough to keep money in your wallet to actually pay for other things,. The Lamborghini is awesome, but if the majority of your paycheque goes towards maintaining it, are you really getting your money's worth?

And then there's cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg which are closer to something like a 1975 Ford Pinto.

Honestly I was raised in coastal BC, and I love living here in Vancouver, but its getting so expensive I'm starting to question if I'm really getting my money's worth. I go hiking all the time, but after a certain point is that really worth the cost of living? 

I bought a brand new 3 bed, 3 bath townhouse, with a detached garage, in a really nice neighborhood (10 minutes to downtown, 10 minutes to the U of A) in Edmonton for 500k. Would probably run ~2.5 mil for a similar home in a similar neighborhood (Kits maybe?) in Van. Vancouver is nice, but I don't want to start a family in a 1 bedroom condo.

16 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I bought a brand new 3 bed, 3 bath townhouse, with a detached garage, in a really nice neighborhood (10 minutes to downtown, 10 minutes to the U of A) in Edmonton for 500k. Would probably run ~2.5 mil for a similar home in a similar neighborhood (Kits maybe?) in Van. Vancouver is nice, but I don't want to start a family in a 1 bedroom condo.

Yeah that’s why I tried to use the car analogy. Luxury cars are nice, but if you can’t afford a luxury car you’re probably better off buying something reliable than breaking your budget trying to afford the sports car.

I’m single so I rent and even that’s getting absurd. The price of a $&!#ty studio apartment here is comparable to a beautiful penthouse in most of the rest of the country. 

At the end of the day everyone has different priorities and needs to weigh what’s important to them personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yeah that’s why I tried to use the car analogy. Luxury cars are nice, but if you can’t afford a luxury car you’re probably better off buying something reliable than breaking your budget trying to afford the sports car.

I’m single so I rent and even that’s getting absurd. The price of a $&!#ty studio apartment here is comparable to a beautiful penthouse in most of the rest of the country. 

At the end of the day everyone has different priorities and needs to weigh what’s important to them personally.

How about stay in BC, just out of the lower mainland? Still way less than a Lambo.  Equivalent to a still reliable, but nicer than civic, Lexus?