The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I grew up outside of Vancouver and lived in van/Richmond for years. No doubt van is a very beautiful place that Calgary and Edmonton can't compete with. 

But I find people are generally the same wherever I've been.

I really noticed and hated the amount of rain every time I came home though and would say I had way more fun at Flames/ Canuck games at the saddledome than I ever had in Vancouver. Me and my harvy is a fleabag Tshirt. 

I like to live as urban as possible of as natural as possible.. so suburban is just never been my thing, anywhere.  

to me large parts of Alberta cities are sprawl.  Feel the same way about Toronto, to Calgary people. That the other Center of the Universe, the eastern one… lol 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Generally Calgary. 

lived there and worked from there for 4-5 years.  

Urban sprawl and lax building codes with the legacy of Ralph Kline… 

Edmonton has a downtown that is livable and the preservation of the River Valley, as a green space, well, it’s vastly more livable and enjoyable downtown.  

Devonian Gardens is nice and when the foothills and Bragg creek weren’t suburbs of Calgary and the Sour Gas wells weren’t drilled in Kanaskis Provincial Park, but it’s Alberta.  

I would choose Calgary over Lethbridge, but not sure if I would chose Calgary over Red Deer… it’s that bad.  It’s in there for me.  

I lived in Edmonton for 15 years and there was lots to like. The River valley was beautiful, nice downtown, lots of good clubs and smaller live music venues, Whyte Avenue was a fun place in the summer, plenty of sunshine in the winter and housing was affordable. Moved back here in ‘94 though so have no idea what it’s like now. 

Home is where you make it.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

How about stay in BC, just out of the lower mainland? Still way less than a Lambo.  Equivalent to a still reliable, but nicer than civic, Lexus?

Depends where honestly, and if you want smaller town living. There are still large parts of BC that are still exorbitantly overpriced. My parents house in Victoria has pretty much quintupled in value in less than 20 years of owning it. Its more about the price and value being out of alignment. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

Depends where honestly, and if you want smaller town living. There are still large parts of BC that are still exorbitantly overpriced. My parents house in Victoria has pretty much quintupled in value in less than 20 years of owning it. Its more about the price and value being out of alignment. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. 

Yeah, Victoria is not far behind Vancouver. If you want to move to 100 Mile House or Prince Rupert I'm sure there are bagins to be had.

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I lived in Edmonton for 15 years and there was lots to like. The River valley was beautiful, nice downtown, lots of good clubs and smaller live music venues, Whyte Avenue was a fun place in the summer, plenty of sunshine in the winter and housing was affordable. Moved back here in ‘94 though so have no idea what it’s like now. 

Home is where you make it.

Pretty much the same, I moved there in 2019.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah, Victoria is not far behind Vancouver. If you want to move to 100 Mile House or Prince Rupert I'm sure there are bagins to be had.

Even up island is a fair bit cheaper (though still not Alberta-bama level cheaper).

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Even up island is a fair bit cheaper (though still not Alberta-bama level cheaper).

This goes back to the root of my root of my point. Is Alberta as nice as up island? Nope. Is Alberta cheaper? Yep. So everybody needs to make their own personal calculation of what they want to pay vs where they want to live. I have friends for example who pay 2000 dollars for a single room apartment, and they don't need to be in BC for work. And thats fine if you're really into hiking or skiing or fishing or whatever. But their idea of a fun day is spending it inside playing video games. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but at that point I have to wonder why they wouldn't move somewhere else and have way more spending money for the things they like if they aren't going to take advantage of the amenities BC has to offer.

Edited by McBackup
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, McBackup said:

This goes back to the root of my root of my point. Is Alberta as nice as up island? Nope. Is Alberta cheaper? Yep. So everybody needs to make their own personal calculation of what they want to pay vs where they want to live. I have friends for example who pay 2000 dollars for a single room apartment, and they don't need to be in BC for work. And thats fine if you're really into hiking or skiing or fishing or whatever. But their idea of a fun day is spending it inside playing video games. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but at that point I have to wonder why they wouldn't move somewhere else and have way more spending money for the things they like if they aren't going to take advantage of the amenities BC has to offer.

Yeah, 

a96b2f09bfc8c8e3592cabd28c628e25.png

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, 

a96b2f09bfc8c8e3592cabd28c628e25.png

Yup. If I wanted to spend my days playing Starcraft and watching Netflix I certainly wouldn't be overpaying as much as I am for my spot in Van. I'd be living in Saskatchewan or the Yukon or something and spending an hour's pay on my month's rent. But I love having both nature and a city right outside my front door so for the moment I'm stuck here. 

Sometimes I feel like living in Vancouver is like dating a gold digger. She's the most beautiful girl you've ever seen, but she really only has time for you if you've got money.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yup. If I wanted to spend my days playing Starcraft and watching Netflix I certainly wouldn't be overpaying as much as I am for my spot in Van. I'd be living in Saskatchewan or the Yukon or something and spending an hour's pay on my month's rent. But I love having both nature and a city right outside my front door so for the moment I'm stuck here. 

Sometimes I feel like living in Vancouver is like dating a gold digger. She's the most beautiful girl you've ever seen, but she really only has time for you if you've got money.

isn’t it like that in every major city in the world? 

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

If you go to Port Alberni or Port Hardy, sure you can get 700k family homes. But even Qualicum/Parksville and the Comox Valley is 1 mil + homes. It's the premium you pay for above freezing tempatures in winter (in Canada).

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, McBackup said:

Edmonton has more parkland/greenspace as a % of total city area than any other major city in Canada. You can be 10 minutes from the tallest builidng west of Toronto and see nothing but forest and river.

Edited by MattJVD