The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, rekker said:

What scares me is this means that Tyson Barrie is for sure UFA. JB seems to be big on TB and that scares me. I don't like a fit for him here. 

I wouldn't worry too much there. I think Jim is set on adding larger more aggressive stay at home defensemen. Barrie should be re-signed by Edmonton right away to solidify that amazing d corps!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

What scares me is this means that Tyson Barrie is for sure UFA. JB seems to be big on TB and that scares me. I don't like a fit for him here. 

GMJB is looking for big dmen to round out our group.  

We’re not in on Barrie 

Surprised that Chicago is not retaining.  Keith doesn't seem worth 5.5M on the open market with the cap flat and there was no other trading partner.  

Will he waive his NMC for expansion and/or does it mean the Larsson extension will be finalised post-expansion.

Edited by mll

Point was made earlier that this might mean Klefbom is out again next season.  If that's the case, then adding Keith essentially replaces Klefbom's and Jones' cap hits.  I doubt there will be a taxi squad next year.  It's a fairly minimal additional cap hit for the Oilers to absorb.  Doesn't address the problem of them having little cap space to add the depth they need in the their line-up but Keith could be seen as an upgrade on Jones.

Keith has declined substantially but love him or hate him (I'm sure most of us are in the latter camp) he's still wily enough to be an effective NHL D.  He has always been a good skater so even though he's not as fast as he used to be, he's probably better than many others.  Can't see this moving the needle substantially but he should still be able to eat a decent amount of minutes and play sufficient D (that Klefbom would have otherwise played).

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So they have McDavid, Nurse, and Keith. 3/5ths of the way to the all-elbows, all the time all star team.

Just heard Danny Sedin placed a wholesale order for some new team helmets.  Something like this apparently...

BjN4DlGCIAAW-z0.jpg

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wouldn't worry too much there. I think Jim is set on adding larger more aggressive stay at home defensemen. Barrie should be re-signed by Edmonton right away to solidify that amazing d corps!

And then we hear Benning trading Boeser for OEL because he believes OEL is a foundational player......

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 8