The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Barrie stated that he wanted to remain an Oiler, so Holland should do the Christian thing and give Barrie a meaty contract. 

I hear that a 6X6 is the perfect contract these days

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Barrie stated that he wanted to remain an Oiler, so Holland should do the Christian thing and give Barrie a meaty contract. 

Edited by grumpyone
multiple posts

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Lol... a guy who can't resisting mentioning Benning's name, even if the deal had nothing to do with him.

Do you have a problem with me praising our glorious GM?

Maybe you'd fit in better @ HF Boards?

:emot-parrot:

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guys like McDavid, Draisatl, and Nuge are still going to be soft as hell without the puck.  

Leon I don't think is that soft he's got some heaviness to his game.

But this trade to me is not smart at all. Really makes me think Holland gots to goes out of the league.

So, it's interesting reading this article on the NHL site, where McDavid is suggesting that the Oilers "can compete for the title", and uses Montreal's results in this year's regular season and playoffs as evidence. This seems to me to be a very Toronto attitude, where the results of the regular season are supposed to transfer to the playoffs.

https://www.nhl.com/news/connor-mcdavid-says-edmonton-close-to-contending-after-montreals-run-to-final/c-325628982?tid=277548856

regards,  G.

Keith will help the Oilers. Even at his age he still plays 23-25 minutes a night. His veteran leadership might inspire the team to forget they don't have goaltending. And I am giddy that he is not coming to Vancouver. Now the team can use that money to build for the future instead of rewarding the past.

I really don't understand how or why the pick had to be given up. A man for man trade would STILL have been a win for Chicago.

Keith does make the Oilers better. But not even remotely at the level his salary would suggest. 

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Keith will help the Oilers. Even at his age he still plays 23-25 minutes a night. His veteran leadership might inspire the team to forget they don't have goaltending. And I am giddy that he is not coming to Vancouver. Now the team can use that money to build for the future instead of rewarding the past.

That’s the whole point though. He can’t continue to log those many minutes. He might be serviceable for veteran leadership and room presence, and maybe help out special teams, but he’s now a 5/6/7th dman who should be used in rotation and minutes keep to maybe 15-16 or so a game, tops.

We’ll see how the season unfolds and who EDM ends up with for their D corps, but to be counting on Keith as a top 4 at this stage might be asking a lot.

Price paid for the player and his intangibles is still too high. There must be something else in the works after the ED that benefits the Coilers.

You don’t pay that much just for experience and leadership. Look at Big Joe, Marleau, Spazza, Perry contracts for proof.