The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

8 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I worry that Travis Green will, simply out of familiarity and comfortableness, overplay Edler which will not be good for anyone. If he can be deployed as a 6th or 7th guy with appropriate ice time then I am okay with him coming back. But I don't want to see him getting ice ahead of the younger quicker guys....

Same here.   He almost has to play Edler over OJ and Rathbone.  

• Cheers 1

Edler is still a valuable players at 2-3 for one year.   Maybe even two.  He's slowed down but he wouldn't hurt you at all infront of the net or along the  boards.   Think of it as Benn's deal, and will still get his 20 points.    Not sure what was offered but like last year with Markstrom and Tanev i'm sure it was something that works for the team.   With Edler he kind of owes us a little for his last deal.   Especially last season, so won't be surprised if it's in the 1-2 range take it or leave it.   Hamonic we need a little bit more, but also really isn't worth much either at his age.   2 x 2 works there. 

On 7/13/2021 at 2:29 PM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

If one year for Edler and 2 / 3 for Hamonic at decent AAV I am all for this. D struggled last year but I think it had a lot to do with the forwards, if Benning can put together a stronger four lines and Shaw can help establish a better defensive scheme, I think there is a lot of room for improvement. Some value buys at forward available - likely on short term, show me deals.

Game day roster and deployment are on the coaches not JB

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

The player who is in charge of skating the puck out of his zone will always have more giveaways. :picard:

The guy who is skating the puck out has less turnovers 

the guy who MOVES the puck out has more turnovers :picard:

If Schmidt is the guy “skating” the puck out and has more turnovers…. Schmidt is even more of an issue than anyone realizes. 

Skating is with control… you dont turn the puck over when you control it typically

And Schmidt had the most giveaways on the blueline, Hughes had 60.. oh and wanna know what else was a better stat? His takeaways. 34 takeaways for Hughes compared to Schmidts measly 18 takeaways. Hughes was turning the puckover quite a bit, but he was also one of the guys who was retrieving it. 

Myers, Hughes, Edler, Hamonic, Benn… actually every single dman all had better projected giveaway stats than Schmidt, most of them also had better takeaway projections because not everyone played the same amount of games, so TK or GV / by the games played = your rate at which it happens

rate x 82 gives you your projections for the season

How many times did Schmidt put his goalie or everyone else in a terrible position by making a bad pass up the middle? Or through the middle. Many times. 68 times he put his team in a bad spot this season. He was primarily paired with Edler and it put his dpartner and the rest of the guys on the ice in a bad spot the majority of the time.

We all know Edler doesnt have the wheels to skate it out, so he moves the puck ahead or over and makes a better play twice as much as Schmidt. If the pass isnt there for Schmidt, dont force it. Off the glass and out, or deep into the corner, high in the air and over everyone or back over to your dpartner for another look.

But you know what? Looking at Schmidts previous history and then factoring in the BS of this year being on a new team with little to no time to get acquainted… im going to give the guy a pass on this year. He had a really tough year and made a lot of mistakes and I think we were really fortunate that we had Edler on the ice with him for the majority of his ice time. They only allowed 26 goals against in all situations when paired together. I’d like to see what Schmidt can do with some preparation and getting a little more chemistry going with his partners and getting used to the new systems before I completely write the guy off. I did not like his play this year for the large majority of the season, but its not fair to completely judge a guy on this particular season.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay  Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay Don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay don't overpay

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

You're unlikely to get a better player, for less than what Edler signs here for.

So much age related, baby and bathwater throwing out in this fanbase.

And the very green Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone will still require someone on that side that actually knows how to play D, can PK etc. Aging or not.

Last year we picked up Hamonic,  played better than Edler.

There is nothing saying that we might find someone who played better than Edler did last season for similar, or a tad more money.

Karl Alzner was interviewed on the radio the other morning,  sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder regarding how his last contract went and game time.

My honest opinion is that the sooner we get past this old regime of players who have become fan favourites over the past 10 years, the sooner the change from “mediocrity” happens.

Edler was not worth the 6m x he was paid on his last contract..  that has to be taken into account , There has always been a romantic infatuation of Canuck Players Jerseys going to the rafters directly after or before their last game as a Canuck.

This is a player that a lot of fans are infatuated with, almost specifically for that reason.

In the meantime, Sbisa may have opened up a Pizzeria ,  but Edler established a franchise of them,  and with that last contract did well for himself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'll never understand the disrespect, or in same cases, disregard, segments of this fanbase seem to have for Edler. It's baffling. Dude took less on his last contract o stay in Vancouver, he easily could have gotten more on the open market. It can also be argued he took less on the deal before that as well. 

He didn't push for a long-term retirement deal despite the renaissance he seemed to experience in his early 30's. He took a short-term, flexible deal that took the expansion draft, and the team's needs, into account. He's #1 in games played for Canucks D all-time, and has a legitimate shot at becoming only the fourth player, and first D, to play 1k games as a Canuck. He needs 75 games, I hope he gets them. He also leads all Canucks D in points, assists, and goals. It can argued whether he, at any point, has been a true #1D, but he's been our #1D for years with a questionable amount of help. 

Dude had back to back 34 points seasons, and then a 33 point season leading up to last season and people somehow look at last season as him dropping off a cliff. Without factoring in, you know, the disaster that was the entirety of last season. No training camp, opening the season with a gauntlet, injuries, almost the entire team catching Covid, finishing the season with a gauntlet because the NHL wanted every team to play the same amount of games. Even if he did fall off a bit, people don't think the above impacted how things went? Taking last season as a legitimate view of where Edler's game at is simply absurd. Don't just look at the numbers, it's more nuanced than that. 

We will not get a better quality D via UFA for the price and term we'll likely get from Edler, full stop. 

Moving Holtby for any positive return would be huge. Teams who lose a goaltender via the draft will need replacements. Better that than a buyout. 

As mentioned above, simply looking at numbers and being like "yeah, that's where Edler's game at" is stupid. But yeah, year by year would probably be best. Two years max. 

6m a year, for 2 years (20&21) was less than what?

The nostalgia I’m reading in this thread, about a player a lot posters have placed on a pedestal is Harlequin-esque.

The last 2 seasons of Edler have been like watching Sundin in a Canucks jersey,.

time to tap out.

I’d rather Take a chance on a fiery Alzner.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The nostalgia I’m reading in this thread, about a player a lot posters have placed on a pedestal is Harlequin-esque.

The last 2 seasons of Edler have been like watching Sundin in a Canucks jersey,.

time to tap out.

To add,  Alzner was bought out at 833k until 2024.

By the sounds of it he wants to play and prove himself .

I think he’d take less total money for shorter term.

perhaps 1.25m x 2 years?

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

time to tap out.

Less than what he could have gotten on the open market, easily. In the two seasons leading up to that deal he had back to back 34 point seasons, and in the latter season he did it in 56 games. Considering his historical usage as a D who plays special teams and eats tough minutes, combined with that production, he definitely could have gotten a slightly larger cap hit via UFA, and most certainly longer term. He did the team a solid by signing a two year deal, definitely could have gotten more elsewhere if he'd been interested in exploring that option. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

To add,  Alzner was bought out at 833k until 2024.

By the sounds of it he wants to play and prove himself .

I think he’d take less total money for shorter term.

perhaps 1.25m x 2 years?

Some on here would like to see the entire D core from last year back. 

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Or we just keep him and let him play.  Jake can absolutely contribute to our middle six.  As soon as he lays out a big hit or scores a goal the fans will cheer.  

Def think he can still be a 15 g guy also 35 points for south if 3 million is decent 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Last year we picked up Hamonic,  played better than Edler.

No, be didn't. Played less, and less difficult, minutes than Edler as well.

There is nothing saying that we might find someone who played better than Edler did last season for similar, or a tad more money.

By all means, if we can, great. Given his desire to only play here, and historically playing for less than market value here... I highly doubt it.

My honest opinion is that the sooner we get past this old regime of players who have become fan favourites over the past 10 years, the sooner the change from “mediocrity” happens.

This is what I'm talking about with baby and bathwater. You don't improve our D core by letting actual contributing, good value players, walk. Never mind that were going to need a hard minute vet to play that left side, even if only on rotation. You improve by pushing them down the depth chart. It's a silly notion I see frequently in here from many posters, not just you. Throwing away good players for 'new', just because, is short sighted.

Edler was not worth the 6m x he was paid on his last contract..  that has to be taken into account ,

Edler signed at a discount in both cap and term on his last deal. Widely reported.

There has always been a romantic infatuation of Canuck Players Jerseys going to the rafters directly after or before their last game as a Canuck.

This is a player that a lot of fans are infatuated with, almost specifically for that reason.

It's it Romanticism? Or is it just people capable of seeing value in a committed, hard minute player, with a history of signing below value, being continuing good value? Seems to me you're projecting and creating a straw man that's easy to attack while massively under-valuing a player.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Some on here would like to see the entire D core from last year back. 

Could you name those people?

Just asking because I have not seen a single poster say that, but I might have missed it.

Juolevi only played 23 games last season. Rathbone played 8 games. Jordie Benn played 31 games and Chatfield played 18 games.

Unless we re-acquire Benn and don't get an upgrade on R defence it's pretty much impossible to go in with exactly the same defence. But sure, snivel and whine about it.

• Vintage 1