The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

19 minutes ago, 2009cupchamps said:

I wouldn’t say sell lie. We only paid a third for Schmit so it’s basically a 3rd and Rathbone. I think that’s low. 

We picked him up while he was a big minute D-man and I think it's too soon to write him off or consider him to have no value.
Also cap dump valuations don't really work like that, it's not as though a previous trade locks them into their trade value for good.

Edler as a third pairing d men is totally fine for a year or two. Hamonic is also ok as a number 4.

This is gonna totally depend on the cost. And hopefully this is only too give both of them an idea of where we are at heading into expansion UFA talk.

We should not sign anyone until after the ed.

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Edler as a third pairing d men is totally fine for a year or two. Hamonic is also ok as a number 4.

This is gonna totally depend on the cost. And hopefully this is only too give both of them an idea of where we are at heading into expansion UFA talk.

We should not sign anyone until after the ed.

I agree but how is that different from last year? Are the Canucks targeting a #1 dman?

Also, if they sign these guys what is the timing for protection?

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I agree but how is that different from last year? Are the Canucks targeting a #1 dman?

Also, if they sign these guys what is the timing for protection?

thats easy, July 22nd. 

i hate these nay sayers. complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet.

If they sign now it will be for cheap... and if they do, Benning already has spoken to seattle about who they would take.

This is only good news.

Edit: This means there is a plan, and we are ahead of the game.

With rumours of schmidt leaving I'm dreaming big.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Right....so if they sign tomorrow they need protection?

yup. Which is why they won't sign tomorrow. If they are coming here prior to the start of free agency, its already pre-arranged and they'll just sign after the ED.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If Seattle wants one of them, they can also sign them in their window and that would go as our player.      Riiiiight????

exactly, we can't hide them. We can only hope they don't take one of them.

Honestly wouldn't be suprised if schmidt is being taken so we can replace him with someone like Hamilton, Larsson or Savard.

all I'm saying is don't worry, because we're not the ones with the inside info.

Edit: from what I remember Vegas Picked 2-3 players from UFA/RFA, im sure our ufa's are more desirable than Lind

Edited by Petey_BOI

3 hours ago, Azzy said:

It's the only way I'd do it. We should be moving on from this same tired old D core.

what do you mean "Tired Old D core"?

Edler has been here since the last Ice Age  movie

but after that

Quinn is the longest serving D-man

followed by Myers, Schmidt, Hamonic, Juolevi Chatter and Grapes of Rathbone

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't think the eye test in 8 games is sufficient when no playoff spots were on the line and teams were playing out the season. Rathbone has potential but is unproven in an 82 game schedule in the NHL. Juolevi  and Rathbone would do better switching up as the season goes along. Edler took tough minutes plus Stech and Tanev credit him with some of their development. I still think he'd make a good mentor to the young guys until they are ready to take on top NHLers regularly.

Harmonica seemed to gel with Huggy as the season progressed. I think we are not as bad as the season made us look. Another solid RHD and a center and we are looking good again.

5 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

No. They have to pick a player that is signed for this season to be part of “available unprotected player”

no that's definetley not right, what do you think the window is for? 

look at the bolded, they can pick up to ten ufa/rfa

Source. NHL.com

Here are basic rules and procedures governing the expansion draft, the same guidelines that regulated the Vegas franchise stocking up its expansion team in 2017:

• Teams can protect eight skaters and a goalie OR seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie.
  • The Kraken must select at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies; four additional picks can be any position. 
  • Each NHL team must provide at least one defenseman who is under contract in 2021-22 and who has played a significant number of games within the last two NHL seasons and two forwards who meet the same criteria. The available goalie must be signed to an NHL contract or in receipt of a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent.
  • Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 season. Those contracts must add up to between 60 to 100 percent of the league's salary cap (expect the lower percentage).
Edited by Petey_BOI