The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with Button.  Edler and Hamonic are a bottom pair on a top team.  You can re-sign them but you can't stop there.  I can see Edler getting re-signed as he can rotate with Juolevi and Rathbone on the left side and he won't have to be in the top 4 every game.  As for Hamonic, if you are re-signing him to play with Hughes that is a big problem, as he doesn't belong on the top pairing.  IF Hamonic gets re-signed then you can be almost guaranteed that a Schmidt trade is happening and that Benning is going to go after a big fish to play with Hughes.

I also agree, top 4 players don't sign for under 2.5m which is all these players are really worth.

as for your second paragraph I really hope so. Hamilton, Savard and Larsson would be my choices to replace Schmidt.

Hughes - Hamilton/Savard/Larsson

Rathbone/Edler - Myers

Juolevi/Edler - Hamonic/UFA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This is in turn nothing more than speculation also, so don’t pretend to know everything on your high horse there bud. A lot of assumptions guy

trust me my speculation is alot more realistic, than people worried about "Benning" just throwing away players for free. Jim has a team of people working with him, and they know more about this stuff than any of us.

off my high horse ? what a load of BS

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I also agree, top 4 players don't sign for under 2.5m which is all these players are really worth.

as for your second paragraph I really hope so. Hamilton, Savard and Larsson would be my choices to replace Schmidt.

Rathbone/Edler - Myers

Yes 100% although I am a little scared they do the OEL trade with phx retaining the salary difference to make it work.

OEL-Hughes

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Hamonic

I am scared of OEL drop in play, foot speed and contract 

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Rathbone/Edler - Myers

Yeah I mean people really have to think about it.  Edler  Hamonic on Tampa, NY Islanders, Vegas.  They are a bottom pairing.  Edler might have been the 7th guy on Tampa.

At the end of the day I think Edler has an agreement to retire as a Canuck, that is why he only signed a 2 year deal last time.  So Benning will accommodate him with another 2 year deal to end his career as a Canuck.  I'm sure the number will be favourable to the team, most likely in the $2-2.5 million range.  As for Hamonic, anything over $2.5 million and there are better options out there which Benning must explore.  There are several RHD UFA's out there for the taking.  I'd rather overpay a bit to get a Hakanpaa than to re-sign Hamonic.

However, if the options get dried up I don't necessarily have a problem with Hamonic coming back as long as Benning trades Schmidt and gets someone who can play top 4 minutes with Hughes.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

After the ED, Edler with a 35+, $1.5m base, $1-$1.5m bonuses, based on games played contract.

Hamonic at +/- $2.5m.

Yes please. We need more decent, hard minute D, not less.

None of that precludes a Schmidt deal or adding a guy like Hakanpaa (which I'm also for).

actually, I really like that Edler contract. This makes sense. if he plays 70-75 games he's probably playing pretty well, and if the bonus is paid we can just slide it to next year.

Sorry for being a rude jerk, I have a excuse though my parents moved me to alberta (fort Mcmurray :sick:) when I was a teenager.

• Cheers 1

This may be a rant. But Canucks have had a long history of loyalty, which is great for the face of the organization but not for the future of an organization. 

Management needs to come to terms with where they are at. It continues to happen that we keep sticking to guys that are clearly out of their prime when we are no longer a competitive team. Realistically, Edler should've been traded a couple years ago so we could potentially have an impact player going into the 2021-22 season. A similar thing happened with the Sedin's, where we could've moved them to get an incredible haul. Teams that succeed are teams that come to reality and solid players when they realize they don't have a shot of winning. 

If Edler is extended, great. But don't give him a NMC. We need to have the chance to trade him for something that will actually help us at some point. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

After the ED, Edler with a 35+, $1.5m base, $1-$1.5m bonuses, based on games played contract.

Hamonic at +/- $2.5m.

Yes please. We need more decent, hard minute D, not less.

None of that precludes a Schmidt deal or adding a guy like Hakanpaa (which I'm also for).

Great minds think alike lol. 

I was thinking/hoping for 4-5 million between the 2 and we still need to get a RIGHT HANDED Dman even if we do resign both these guys 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

heard that earlier - tuned out after his fluffy take selling the Keith deal as a good one for Edmonton - and went on to suggest that it was playing for Chicago that was Keith's problem this past season.  didn't listen to what he had to say about Edler, but if he's referring to Edler as a '3rd pairing D' after that - sounds like more facepalm material.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

heard that earlier - tuned out after his fluffy take selling the Keith deal as a good one for Edmonton - and went on to suggest that it was playing for Chicago that was Keith's problem this past season.  didn't listen to what he had to say about Edler, but if he's referring to Edler as a '3rd pairing D' after that - sounds like more facepalm material.

Edler is a 3rd pairing D on a contender though.  Edler doesn't make the top 4 on Tampa, NY Islanders or Vegas.

I think the smart play is if Hamonic needs to be signed before the expansion draft and protected okay but Edler most certainly doesn't just like Ovechkin doesn't need tot be for Washington.

Agree to a deal with Edler before the expansion and sign it after. He will not go and sign with Seattle if they selected him.

Hamonic I am not so sure  but if they could both come to terms like that hell yes.

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I mean people really have to think about it.  Edler  Hamonic on Tampa, NY Islanders, Vegas.  They are a bottom pairing.  Edler might have been the 7th guy on Tampa.

At the end of the day I think Edler has an agreement to retire as a Canuck, that is why he only signed a 2 year deal last time.  So Benning will accommodate him with another 2 year deal to end his career as a Canuck.  I'm sure the number will be favourable to the team, most likely in the $2-2.5 million range.  As for Hamonic, anything over $2.5 million and there are better options out there which Benning must explore.  There are several RHD UFA's out there for the taking.  I'd rather overpay a bit to get a Hakanpaa than to re-sign Hamonic.

However, if the options get dried up I don't necessarily have a problem with Hamonic coming back as long as Benning trades Schmidt and gets someone who can play top 4 minutes with Hughes.

Tampa had a '3rd' pairing of Sergachev/Savard - which is ridiculous depth - and not really a good example of where a player ought to relatively fall in a depth chart.

That blueline should be against the rules.  It's an outlier wadr - and they also have Cal Foote on the verge (a player 'we' 'should' poach before the e.d. if at all possible.

The Isles left side was Pelech, Leddy, Greene - in other words there are an extreme few franchises where Edler is not a top 4.   He's easily better than Green, and not really a comparable for Leddy - but easily the better hard minutes/matchup/shutdown D, while Leddy's game is more upside.  Scott Mayfield is the 'foundation' of that pairing - and another player 'we' 'should' pursue pre-expansion, with the Isles in a tight expansion spot.

Hamonic - I agree - I like him but not as a partner for Hughes - and I see him as a tweener that I don't necessarily want in the 'top4' (unless, for example, he's pairing with a guy like Edler on a shutdown pairing - and even then, 'top 4' is more and more a meaningless term in the modern NHL).  

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Tampa had a '3rd' pairing of Sergachev/Savard - which is ridiculous depth - and not really a good example of where a player ought to relatively fall in a depth chart.

That blueline should be against the rules.  It's an outlier wadr - and they also have Cal Foote on the verge (a player 'we' 'should' poach before the e.d. if at all possible.

The Isles left side was Pelech, Leddy, Greene - in other words there are an extreme few franchises where Edler is not a top 4.   He's easily better than Green, and not really a comparable for Leddy - but easily the better hard minutes/matchup/shutdown D, while Leddy's game is more upside.  Scott Mayfield is the 'foundation' of that pairing - and another player 'we' 'should' pursue pre-expansion, with the Isles in a tight expansion spot.

Hamonic - I agree - I like him but not as a partner for Hughes - and I see him as a tweener that I don't necessarily want in the 'top4' (unless, for example, he's pairing with a guy like Edler on a shutdown pairing - and even then, 'top 4' is more and more a meaningless term in the modern NHL).  

Yeah Tampa's D in this year's playoffs should have been deemed illegal in at least 35 states.  Just ridiculous to have a bottom pairing of Sergachev  Savard.  That is a top pairing on some teams.

Cal Foote is someone we should explore, although I don't see him as a perfect fit for Hughes.  His father would have fit like a glove with Hughes, but Cal doesn't have the same truculence as Adam did.  With Leddy on the trade block I think Mayfield is out of the picture now.  He would be a dream with Hughes.  My second favourite choice after Erik Cernak.

It will be interesting to see what Benning does with Schmidt.  If he can trade him that will open up alot of opportunities for the RHD position opposite Hughes.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah Tampa's D in this year's playoffs should have been deemed illegal in at least 35 states.  Just ridiculous to have a bottom pairing of Sergachev  Savard.  That is a top pairing on some teams.

Cal Foote is someone we should explore, although I don't see him as a perfect fit for Hughes.  His father would have fit like a glove with Hughes, but Cal doesn't have the same truculence as Adam did.  With Leddy on the trade block I think Mayfield is out of the picture now.  He would be a dream with Hughes.  My second favourite choice after Erik Cernak.

It will be interesting to see what Benning does with Schmidt.  If he can trade him that will open up alot of opportunities for the RHD position opposite Hughes.

I don't necessarily agree about Foote - a partner for Hughes doesn't necessarily need to be as 'truculent' as Adam Foote was - but it's certainly difficult to project a 'fit' as a pairing until you actually see guys play together.  A mobile, all situations type, two-way RHD though - I would not assume that Cal would be a lesser 'fit' than Adam (also can't assume that Cal becomes as good an NHL D as Adam was) - but for me, Adam was more of a 'stay-at-home' guy (a very good one at that) - but I'm not sure that's what I'd be looking for in a partner for Hughes.

• Upvote 1