The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I suggest this to avoid paying him 2-3M per year. 

The best way to avoid paying $2-3M a year is by refusing to do so. You want to play on the Canucks, Alex? Here's a contract for $1M for 1 year. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best way to avoid paying $2-3M a year is by refusing to do so. You want to play on the Canucks, Alex? Here's a contract for $1M for 1 year. 

Take it or leave it alex. We paid u 12 mill the last 2 years so this is all were gonna offer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Take it or leave it alex. We paid u 12 mill the last 2 years so this is all were gonna offer.

Exactly. Those last two years were okay, and he still got paid. Now with the team heading towards a window of contention, role players need to be paid like role players. Edler included.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Do we really want him signed until he’s 36 though?

Rather do a shorter 5 year deal at a bigger cap hit if we could afford it, but we can’t.

thats it, the only way we could get him is to bet long on him. I suspect there are a few teams willing to do that too. 

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hamilton is a good D, but he's not really who we need anyway.

Rather fill holes this year and try to target a guy like Parayko or Lindholm next year if we're going to target a big UFA D. They suit our needs better and we'll have more cap.

Hughes and Dougie could be a hell fo a pairing tho. Have fun game planning that when you've got Petey on the ice too. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Meme Shake GIF by PAPER

Haha, just joking I agree with everything you said. That D core looks solid. Really good plan. Things should start getting exciting soon.

Haha I’m having visions I tell ya

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes and Dougie could be a hell fo a pairing tho. Have fun game planning that when you've got Petey on the ice too. 

And when they give up the puck? Get caught in their own end?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

As long as Edler is not playing top minutes and he isn't being offered a kings ransom I'm totally happy with this.  We don't have the young guys in the system to take these guys places yet, or they just aren't ready for 20+ minutes a night.  Just look how bad we struggled last year after losing a minute eating reliable defenseman like Tanev.  Signing a UFA from another team, to fill the holes left by Edler/Hamonic, is almost always going to result in an overpayment (and subsequent complaining from the fanbase) so why not try and re-sign a couple guys that have already played here, and want to play here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hamilton is a good D, but he's not really who we need anyway.

Rather fill holes this year and try to target a guy like Parayko or Lindholm next year if we're going to target a big UFA D. They suit our needs better and we'll have more cap.

I'd really like to target Erik Cernak this offseason. With Tampa up against the cap, he may be had for a decent price. Right handed, big tough stay at home guy that's only 24.

2 minutes ago, Deets said:

I'd really like to target Erik Cernak this offseason. With Tampa up against the cap, he may be had for a decent price. Right handed, big tough stay at home guy that's only 24.

I'd love to as well... But they're not moving Cernak.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Read what I wrote again

Depends what you consider top 4?  Given his ability on the pk and playing hard mins, I'd bet he'd be a top 4 guy in TOI on Tampa.  He might not play top 4 mins 5v5, but at the end of the game I think you'd find Edler with top 4 mins overall.  He's slowed down, but he still plays a solid, rugged defensive game.

As another poster said, the Canucks need more of that, not less

This is what you wrote.  If he's not even in the lineup how is he getting top 4 minutes?  Also, in order for him to be on the PK he'd have to beat out Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak and Savard.

Listen, I like Edler and think he is a Canuck legend, but his past due date was a long time ago, he's much slower than he used to be and not as aggressive either.  He will be a good mentor for Juolevi and Rathbone and I have no problem with him rotating in and out of the lineup next year.  But if he is re-signed to a $3 million+ contract with the expectation that he will be in the top 4 again on a regular basis next year playing the hard minutes I will be very disappointed in Benning and Green.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If you are into trying to win games 6-5 then that would be a stud pairing.  If you actually want your top pairing to be able to defend then that would probably be the worst top pairing in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

As long as Edler is not playing top minutes and he isn't being offered a kings ransom I'm totally happy with this.  We don't have the young guys in the system to take these guys places yet, or they just aren't ready for 20+ minutes a night.  Just look how bad we struggled last year after losing a minute eating reliable defenseman like Tanev.  Signing a UFA from another team, to fill the holes left by Edler/Hamonic, is almost always going to result in an overpayment (and subsequent complaining from the fanbase) so why not try and re-sign a couple guys that have already played here, and want to play here?

This is where I'm sitting too. I like Edler, seems like the coaches and his teammates do too, and he's still a useful role player. If he's willing to come back to kill penalties and take some tougher match ups away from Rathbone and Hughes, I'd be happy to keep him around. If he can be a good 16-18 minute defenseman (and get paid like a 16-18 minute defenseman), I'd welcome him back on 1 year deals until he decides to retire.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Interesting news…read that Eliotte Friedman is reporting that although the Nux have offered contracts to Eddie and Hamonic, they won’t be offering one to Brandon Sutter.

They are also fielding multiple calls on Holtby and that there is genuine interest in him.

Will try and supply a link.

This could be great for the team going forward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Interesting news…read that Eliotte Friedman is reporting that although the Nux have offered contracts to Eddie and Hamonic, they won’t be offering one to Brandon Sutter.

They are also fielding multiple calls on Holtby and that there is genuine interest in him.

Will try and supply a link.

This could be great for the team going forward. 

Unloading Holtby for positive value would solve a lot of issues for us, allowing Benning to be patient with the remaining bad contracts.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Be interested on more info on this. I'm assuming this would be for teams set to lose a goalie in the ED and/or teams looking for a 1B already (again, after the ED).

• Cheers 1