The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

56 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Interesting news…read that Eliotte Friedman is reporting that although the Nux have offered contracts to Eddie and Hamonic, they won’t be offering one to Brandon Sutter.

They are also fielding multiple calls on Holtby and that there is genuine interest in him.

Will try and supply a link.

This could be great for the team going forward. 

This makes sense once the ED is over and some teams have lost goalies while others are losing goalies via UFA.  Holtby could be attractive to a few teams I think.  I don't think we need to add a sweetener to move him either.  With one year left on his deal we should be able to get a draft pick or prospect in return.

• Cheers 3

If we can trade Holtby for a positive return and buy out Virtanen then our cap situation is greatly improved.  That's $6.3 million freed up.  If we can trade Schmidt that would free up even more money depending on the contract that comes back.  We may be able to free up close to $10 million even if we keep Loui around.

Should be an interesting few weeks.  With Carlo signed to a $4.1 million deal I don't think these RHD UFA's will be able to command the prices that they want.  You may be able to get a guy like Hakanpaa for under $3 million and Hamonic's value may be in the $2.5 million range.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we can trade Holtby for a positive return and buy out Virtanen then our cap situation is greatly improved.  That's $6.3 million freed up.  If we can trade Schmidt that would free up even more money depending on the contract that comes back.  We may be able to free up close to $10 million even if we keep Loui around.

Should be an interesting few weeks.  With Carlo signed to a $4.1 million deal I don't think these RHD UFA's will be able to command the prices that they want.  You may be able to get a guy like Hakanpaa for under $3 million and Hamonic's value may be in the $2.5 million range.

Only thing is this is BOS signing one of their own, likely being incentivized/sold on the idea of re-signing guys like Hall and maybe pursuing top talents.  Also, This isn't a UFA signing so still tough to measure out yet. Carlo has had some injury troubles so could be discounted a but based on that, but to your point he did get term, so...

• Upvote 1

I think Hamonic is a must and we need another solid RD option as well.  Schmidt should go for a true RD option (Still would push for Ristolainen, but that's not the point).  My main concern is that JB will spend all of his effort here and run out of time to truly improve the team.  He'll either get too late into the process and miss out (Toffoli) or get too late into the process and panic (Roussel).  Either way, this needs to be sorted right away or we need to move on.

• RoughGame 4

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Honestly don't see the purpose of buying out Virtanen.  Even though shady stuff is going on with him, he'll still a young asset plenty of teams have taken a risk on a player like that in the past.  I strongly believe he has positive value, even if it's only a 5th rounder, still better than dead cap with a buyout.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Honestly don't see the purpose of buying out Virtanen.  Even though shady stuff is going on with him, he'll still a young asset plenty of teams have taken a risk on a player like that in the past.  I strongly believe he has positive value, even if it's only a 5th rounder, still better than dead cap with a buyout.

Or we just keep him and let him play.  Jake can absolutely contribute to our middle six.  As soon as he lays out a big hit or scores a goal the fans will cheer.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Not at his cap hit and production.  He took a pretty big step backwards on the ice this year.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler's going to retire a Canuck. Best you accept that now.

You are correct. If dude has not gone by now, he probably wants to stay here on a "fair" contract for both parties while ensuring his family maintains their home. Would not be surprised in the least to see him join the Twins in the front office in a couple years. Not coach material per se, but I bet he also has a strong mind for the game/business overall.  

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not at his cap hit and production.  He took a pretty big step backwards on the ice this year.

Not to mention the 3.4 mil in actual cash he's owed for next season. They tried to move him at the deadline and couldn't give him away. Since then his situation has gotten much worse. Crazy that dudes still haven't wrapped their heads around him having negative value.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, HKSR said:

So... we're gonna roll with the same D core as last year?  Ok...

wish Benning did this last year, could have had Tanev and Toffoli. But I guess mediocre Edler is more of a key player than someone like Tanev 

22 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Zero issue with this, the team has 3 NHL defensemen under contract. Edler is severely underrated and is still a serviceable veteran. Hamonic would be a bonus and that still leaves room for the team to add depth for the upcoming season. I bet you see an immediate shift in utilizing the defense with Shaw on board as well.

I have issues with keeping washed up players for eternity instead of improving. I guess another year down the drain with the same D. 

22 hours ago, tas said:

I'd say either incredibly team friendly deals or bust. 1 year $1.5 mil max for eagle, 3 years $2.5 m max for hamonic. 

I like both guys, but I agree with those saying change/improvement is needed, so if the team isn't getting a hellofa deal, let them walk. even if you get shut out of the big names in the ufa/trade market, replacing them with plugs for a year doesn't present enough of a drop-off in quality imo to justify spending more on those guys. 

Rather pay 4 to 5 mil for Larsson than have both Edler and Hamonic back at same cap hit. Larsson can play top minutes with Hughes and much better than Hamonic and Edler. They could also trade schmidt for another D or keep him and bring guys like Rathbone and Julovi up with the team. We need to change D personnel, cant keep signing same failures over and over again. They got rid of Tanev  the heart and soul guy and a morr superior player and now they want to keep a more inferior Edler:picard: