The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Could you name those people?

Just asking because I have not seen a single poster say that, but I might have missed it.

Well if both Hamonic and Edler accept and everyone seems to be in favor of that, wouldn't that mean the same D is coming back.... That would mean most people want the same D as last year....

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well if both Hamonic and Edler accept and everyone seems to be in favor of that, wouldn't that mean the same D is coming back.... That would mean most people want the same D as last year....

With more minutes for OJ and Rathbone, under a real coach who can minimize how badly Baumgartner is able to sabotage the team.  See what the kids can do and fill holes next offseason when we have the space to do so.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

People still want to rely on Edler for big minutes 

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Most who welcome the idea of him being retained have said they'd be fine with a short term, small-cap deal, and expect he'd be playing a 4-6D role 

People are saying he's still a valuable player on the right contract, not that he should be a 1-3D

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 3

34 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I’m not entertaining you anymore pal. 

I haven't found your posts entertaining at all, so there can't be an 'anymore'.

That said, if you can't bother to back up what you post, there is no point in seeing your posts.

Take care.

17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

No it doesn't.

Hamonic and Edler back is 2 out of 6 or 7 spots.

Hughes makes 3.

Meyers, might be back or might get picked up in ED

Schmidt may get traded.

Lots of time left before they play again.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Most who welcome the idea of him being retained have said they'd be fine with a short term, small-cap deal, and expect he'd be playing a 4-6D role 

People are saying he's still a valuable player on the right contract, not that he should be a 1-3D

Funny when I said yesterday he can't be relied on for big minutes seems like everyone here wants to facepalm me for saying that, so they must be excepting him to play big minutes then still if they disagree with me saying he can't play big minutes...

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

No it doesn't.

Hamonic and Edler back is 2 out of 6 or 7 spots.

Hughes makes 3.

Meyers, might be back or might get picked up in ED

Schmidt may get traded.

Lots of time left before they play again.

Well it pretty much does if no one is moved or picked up :lol:

41 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

With more minutes for OJ and Rathbone, under a real coach who can minimize how badly Baumgartner is able to sabotage the team.  See what the kids can do and fill holes next offseason when we have the space to do so.

If Green allows it :lol:

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Funny when I said yesterday he can't be relied on for big minutes seems like everyone here wants to facepalm me for saying that, so they must be excepting him to play big minutes then still if they disagree with me saying he can't play big minutes...

You had to expect a reaction from this board Chuck.

Bruce was wrong!   Boards *do hit back*.:P

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Whether he can be relied on for big minutes and whether he's retained to play big minutes are two different things. But yeah, that's tough to puzzle out. 

Teams like to, you know, have players who can step up and eat minutes in case injuries happen and yadda yadda yadda. But that's nothing to worry about as the Canucks organization has a long history of being extremely healthy throughout the season. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Whether he can be relied on for big minutes and whether he's retained to play big minutes are two different things. But yeah, that's tough to puzzle out. 

Teams like to, you know, have players who can step up and eat minutes in case injuries happen and yadda yadda yadda. But that's nothing to worry about as the Canucks organization has a long history of being extremely healthy throughout the season. 

Yeah this franchise is so lucky that guys like Edler never get hurt.... I'm just totally against relying on Edler anymore, the amount of brain farts he does at the blueline for the past 5-6 years has been a struggle to watch, and because every year he gets slower and slower he just can't catch those guys anymore who steal the puck from him at the blueline all the time. Then what does Edler do... he hooks them all the time because he's way to slow and can't catch them anymore and then just takes a penalty to hurt the team for another 2 minutes, thats not helping the team at all. This isn't a once in a blue moon thing either, this is something that has been happening for years but we continue to accept it as okay, this is garbage, and why it's time to move on and find someone new. 

Why not just bring Luongo back and play, might as well tell the Sedins to suit up and play, heck take Burrows away from his coaching gig and tell him to suit up, this team obviously could care less about improving and is content with sticking with old mediocre players, so might as well bring them all back while we're at it.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

29 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well it pretty much does if no one is moved or picked up :lol:

Jordie Benn is gone

Rafferty is likely gone

Brisebois is likely gone

Jaden Chatfield will not be getting 18 games this season

Ollie and Rathbone will be getting more games

Looks like a fair bit of change right there.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Jordie Benn is gone

Rafferty is likely gone

Brisebois is likely gone

Jaden Chatfield will not be getting 18 games this season

Ollie and Rathbone will be getting more games

Looks like a fair bit of change right there.

So Myers, Schmidt, Hughes, Hamonic, Edler none of those guys, Canucks relied on those guys you mentioned last year instead....

Edler at something "reasonable", and also for a shorter term (35+) doesn't seem that bad. Hamonic at something more than what he was signed for last season, and and perhaps for a bit longer term (maybe 2 years?) also doesn't seem that bad... but what am I saying, they are terrible at hockey. They shouldn't have the excuse of playing in a bad system which any of the other more popular d-men (eg. Hughes & Rathbone) have as a reason for having a bad season (except for Myers, of course, he is bad because he has a large cap hit contract and term).

A number of folks here do worst case scenario/doom and gloom vision for the future, that things won't get better without a clean sweep, and without said clean sweep, the younger players (forwards and defense) won't improve until they get the time to play, with just enough veteran presence to shelter them as needed.

So, who would be the veteran presence that will be providing this shelter, assuming that Edler and Hamonic aren't re-signed, Myers gets taken in the draft (if could happen), and Schmidt gets traded? I suppose the Canucks will just sign a bunch of "better" UFA d-men who are hanging around waiting for the truck to come by, so they can pay the foreman a few bucks so they can go to work for a season. And throw in that the Canucks will only want to pay these new guys somewhere in the range of what they are currently paying Hamonic. Yeah, it will be okay, it will only be a couple of years, and then the current young guys will "be ready", unless they have developed just enough of a distaste for this team that they decide to leave, and then the round of additional blaming starts up, and cries of blow it up will commence.

I wonder what the narrative will be like when Hughes gets past 30, and he wants a new contract?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah this franchise is so lucky that guys like Edler never get hurt.... I'm just totally against relying on Edler anymore, the amount of brain farts he does at the blueline for the past 5-6 years has been a struggle to watch, and because every year he gets slower and slower he just can't catch those guys anymore who steal the puck from him at the blueline all the time. Then what does Edler do... he hooks them all the time because he's way to slow and catch them anymore and then just takes a penalty to hurt the team for another 2 minutes, thats not helping the team at all. This isn't a once in a blue moon thing either, this is something that has been happening for years but we continue to accept it as okay, this is garbage, and why it's time to move on and find someone new. 

Why not just bring Luongo back and play, might as well tell the Sedins to suit up and play, heck take Burrows away from his coaching gig and tell him to suit up, this team obviously could care less about improving and is content with sticking with old mediocre players, so might as well bring them all back while we're at it.

You're not a fan of retaining Edler, that's fine. You don't have to be. 

Edler's never been the fastest skater, that isn't news. But he's also not the only player to take dumb penalties like the one's you've described either. "We" isn't a human monolith, hence the discussion we've had regarding Edler and Hamonic. You don't have to be keen on the idea of re-signing him, some of us are alright with it though. As for bringing in someone new, that very well could happen, we've got a lot of offseason ahead of us.

We've seen a lot of new faces join the Canucks over the last few seasons, and we'll likely see some of the younger ones get more ice time and games this coming season. This "team obviously could care less about improving and is content with sticking with old mediocre players" is a fallacy. Sutter is likely gone, Myers or Schimdt may be gone via expansion. Holtby is probably moved out. Hoglander, Rathbone, and Juolevi all saw icetime and will likely see more. We probably see Podkolzin and maybe DiPietro or Woo. We currently hold the 9th pick, who knows. Eriksson will be gone next season, so will Roussel. But yeah, let's pretend turnover hasn't already been taking place. We've already been bringing in "someone new". 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1