The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So Myers, Schmidt, Hughes, Hamonic, Edler none of those guys, Canucks relied on those guys you mentioned last year instead....

People are talking about no change to the defense, I've just given multiple changes, some that have already happened, others that are likely.

Why  do you include Myers and Schmidt when I'd previously mentioned them as possible moves, one through ED and the other via trade?

"Canucks relied on those guys you mentioned last year instead...."   Who the heck said that?

MOVINGPOSTS.jpg.8cdf3c81dcd1d102e40cac08da748de5.jpg

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I really don’t understand why there is such angst when the ED hasn’t even happened, no one’s been signed yet, draft hasn’t even come yet either.

For all any of us know Schmidt may be going post ED, if Edler signs maybe it’s for a 5/6/7 role, if Hamonic signs it’s for a rotational role, we pick up another ad via trade/FA…

I realize everyone wants change but why bother getting so worked up when none of us have any clue what is really happening behind the scenes?

One major improvement has already been made to the D through a new, experienced decorated coach. That’s one MAJOR improvement. Maybe some patience is required right now.

Why bring someone in prior to ED and disrupt the whole process and potentially lose a Lind or Gadj. 
Sorry, just makes no cotdamn sense to me at all. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, RWJC said:

Apparently showing up to camp overweight a couple times now and not ready to play up to level and earn his spot.

The current personal life situation.

The pressure imposed by everyone else upon him because of his draft position and being a local boy.

Too much spotlight too early. Some can handle it and some can't.

He hasn't shown the professionalism requisite of an NHL player despite given every, every opportunity to do so.

Only caveat to all this is that when he did get going on the ice, Green would then limit his ice time.  Never understood that but perhaps it was to try and motivate further.  

I think Jake has a sense of entitlement about him that management was trying to ween out.

but he did show improvement year after year, despite being put in situations that were nor conducive to improving his points totals.  I don't recall any complaints or anything negative coming out of Jakes mouth about ice time, deployment etc etc.  Do you?

I agree, he's likely played his last game as a Canuck, but if he's back, I will continue to support him and his development

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I really don’t understand why there is such angst when the ED hasn’t even happened, no one’s been signed yet, draft hasn’t even come yet either.

For all any of us know Schmidt may be going post ED, if Edler signs maybe it’s for a 5/6/7 role, if Hamonic signs it’s for a rotational role, we pick up another ad via trade/FA…

I realize everyone wants change but why bother getting so worked up when none of us have any clue what is really happening behind the scenes?

One major improvement has already been made to the D through a new, experienced decorated coach. That’s one MAJOR improvement. Maybe some patience is required right now.

Why bring someone in prior to ED and disrupt the whole process and potentially lose a Lind or Gadj. 
Sorry, just makes no cotdamn sense to me at all. 

I think there 's a segment of the fan base whose patience has worn thin. They've seen the team come close and then peter out and flail away in mediocrity. For some, desperation seeps into their view of the team, and they see the team not getting any closer to contention. Just an assumption on my part, but I wouldn't doubt it. 

• Cheers 2

If he’s back I’d support him too. I want to see success for him, especially in a Nux jersey. But yeah, maybe nothing out of his mouth, but if you look at how he showed up to camp, it’s likely because he spent offseason filling his mouth and guts right up. Overweight and out of shape. This isn’t the 80s NHL anymore where the off-season afforded you that luxury. It’s big business now, and every player maintains condition to a degree. It’s also respect for your job. There’s only so many roster spots to go round. Dude abused his privilege a lot. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

but he did show improvement year after year, despite being put in situations that were nor conducive to improving his points totals.  I don't recall any complaints or anything negative coming out of Jakes mouth about ice time, deployment etc etc.  Do you?

I agree, he's likely played his last game as a Canuck, but if he's back, I will continue to support him and his development

He also showed improvement at times, and then was completely invisible for stretches. Also out of position/lack of hockey sense/awareness. He became a warm body rather than the impact player/PF he had every chance to prove he could become. Flashes of that promise are what kept him around as long as it did, but that wears off if it’s not translated consistently. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

The guy who is skating the puck out has less turnovers 

the guy who MOVES the puck out has more turnovers :picard:

If Schmidt is the guy “skating” the puck out and has more turnovers…. Schmidt is even more of an issue than anyone realizes. 

Skating is with control… you dont turn the puck over when you control it typically

And Schmidt had the most giveaways on the blueline, Hughes had 60.. oh and wanna know what else was a better stat? His takeaways. 34 takeaways for Hughes compared to Schmidts measly 18 takeaways. Hughes was turning the puckover quite a bit, but he was also one of the guys who was retrieving it. 

Myers, Hughes, Edler, Hamonic, Benn… actually every single dman all had better projected giveaway stats than Schmidt, most of them also had better takeaway projections because not everyone played the same amount of games, so TK or GV / by the games played = your rate at which it happens

rate x 82 gives you your projections for the season

How many times did Schmidt put his goalie or everyone else in a terrible position by making a bad pass up the middle? Or through the middle. Many times. 68 times he put his team in a bad spot this season. He was primarily paired with Edler and it put his dpartner and the rest of the guys on the ice in a bad spot the majority of the time.

We all know Edler doesnt have the wheels to skate it out, so he moves the puck ahead or over and makes a better play twice as much as Schmidt. If the pass isnt there for Schmidt, dont force it. Off the glass and out, or deep into the corner, high in the air and over everyone or back over to your dpartner for another look.

But you know what? Looking at Schmidts previous history and then factoring in the BS of this year being on a new team with little to no time to get acquainted… im going to give the guy a pass on this year. He had a really tough year and made a lot of mistakes and I think we were really fortunate that we had Edler on the ice with him for the majority of his ice time. They only allowed 26 goals against in all situations when paired together. I’d like to see what Schmidt can do with some preparation and getting a little more chemistry going with his partners and getting used to the new systems before I completely write the guy off. I did not like his play this year for the large majority of the season, but its not fair to completely judge a guy on this particular season.

Why did anyone Bag head this!   It's a complete accurate depiction of Schmidt including he gets a pass given new teammates.   His takeaway/giveaway was worst on the team by a country mile.    There is nothing in this post that wasn't accurate. 

• Thanks 1

Don't know why anyone is freaking out either way.   We don't know what the term or AV is yet do we?   Markstrom and Tanev were both offered deals last year that worked for the team - as was their right they moved on.    I'm sure JB would be happy to have 4 million or so tied up into these guys - much more doubtful.   And i'm sure TG would be happy to have both back as third pairing plus guys.   We won't have any clue until the off season is well under way will we. Just because we offered them deals, doesn't mean they are coming back does it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Juolevi only played 23 games last season. Rathbone played 8 games. Jordie Benn played 31 games and Chatfield played 18 games.

Unless we re-acquire Benn and don't get an upgrade on R defence it's pretty much impossible to go in with exactly the same defence. But sure, snivel and whine about it.

Never mind no Covid, Schmidt (if he's back) should be more comfortable, new D systems, Hamonic won't be playing off a year of rust/injury and like Schmidt should be more comfortable...

Yeah.... Same:rolleyes:

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Last year we picked up Hamonic,  played better than Edler.

There is nothing saying that we might find someone who played better than Edler did last season for similar, or a tad more money.

Karl Alzner was interviewed on the radio the other morning,  sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder regarding how his last contract went and game time.

My honest opinion is that the sooner we get past this old regime of players who have become fan favourites over the past 10 years, the sooner the change from “mediocrity” happens.

Edler was not worth the 6m x he was paid on his last contract..  that has to be taken into account , There has always been a romantic infatuation of Canuck Players Jerseys going to the rafters directly after or before their last game as a Canuck.

This is a player that a lot of fans are infatuated with, almost specifically for that reason.

In the meantime, Sbisa may have opened up a Pizzeria ,  but Edler established a franchise of them,  and with that last contract did well for himself.

Elder at 1-2 is about right IMO for us.   He was for sure overpaid last deal.   By about 50%.   His current UFA value is around 2.5 for one year - so I say offer him less.   Hamonic was underpaid so maybe offer him 2.25 x 2.    Edler might just retire rather then go somewhere else, if happens all the time. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, RWJC said:

Apparently showing up to camp overweight a couple times now and not ready to play up to level and earn his spot.

The current personal life situation.

The pressure imposed by everyone else upon him because of his draft position and being a local boy.

Too much spotlight too early. Some can handle it and some can't.

He hasn't shown the professionalism requisite of an NHL player despite given every, every opportunity to do so.

Only caveat to all this is that when he did get going on the ice, Green would then limit his ice time.  Never understood that but perhaps it was to try and motivate further.  

I think Jake has a sense of entitlement about him that management was trying to ween out.

That's why I might pass on Johnson.

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Elder at 1-2 is about right IMO for us.   He was for sure overpaid last deal.   By about 50%.   His current UFA value is around 2.5 for one year - so I say offer him less.   Hamonic was underpaid so maybe offer him 2.25 x 2.    Edler might just retire rather then go somewhere else, if happens all the time. 

I would let Edler walk I think it's time.

Hard to tell without knowing the integrated plan.

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

People still want to rely on Edler for big minutes 

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

It would be nice if we didnt have to rely on Edler for the big minutes like we did pretty much all season. If we could sign him for less than 3mil and move him to a 4/5 spot and have him take on a bit of a lesser role but still be capable of shutting down guys, I feel like that would put our back end in a very good position. He is still a solid dman and plays some really tough minutes, if someone came in and took over his role and bumped him down the bench a bit, it would be great for us

• Vintage 3

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

No, be didn't. Played less, and less difficult, minutes than Edler as well.

By all means, if we can, great. Given his desire to only play here, and historically playing for less than market value here... I highly doubt it.

This is what I'm talking about with baby and bathwater. You don't improve our D core by letting actual contributing, good value players, walk. Never mind that were going to need a hard minute vet to play that left side, even if only on rotation. You improve by pushing them down the depth chart. It's a silly notion I see frequently in here from many posters, not just you. Throwing away good players for 'new', just because, is short sighted.

Edler signed at a discount in both cap and term on his last deal. Widely reported.

It's it Romanticism? Or is it just people capable of seeing value in a committed, hard minute player, with a history of signing below value, being continuing good value? Seems to me you're projecting and creating a straw man that's easy to attack while massively under-valuing a player.

I’ve seen him turn the puck over in his own end too many times,  you can break my quotes down all you want to aGent,  but there were better D men playing for the money he was paid over the last 2 years.

He absorbs minutes, because he is put in a position to get minutes, but strains to be defensively pure, or offensively creative.  6m should get a team those basics.  We’re riding a favourite, who dosent show.

Im not “attacking him”. 
That  may be a Defensive mechanism of your own kicking in, hoping to create some kind of a shutdown here.

Its time to move on from this player like we did Tanev.

Edited by SilentSam