The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ve seen him turn the puck over in his own end too many times,

The best D in the league turn over the puck.

you can break my quotes down all you want to aGent,

Ok.

but there were better D men playing for the money he was paid over the last 2 years.

Not many. Not UFA aged.

He absorbs minutes, because he is put in that position.

I wonder why...?

Im not “attacking him”. 

I didn't say you were. I said you're creating an easy to attack straw man argument.

That  may be a Defensive mechanism of your own kicking in, hoping to create some kind of a shutdown here.

Its time to move on from this player like we did Tanev.

Only reason we moved on from Tanev is because he got a better deal than one that worked for us. If Edler wants to do the same, he might be gone too. Otherwise he'll sign a team friendly deal that works for us.

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The best D in the league turn over the puck

He is consistent at it, I’ll give him that.

Ok.

Lol.

Not many. Not UFA aged.

There’s a difference between UFA aged, Prime, and past Prime..

Edlers true timing on that was his 6yr 5m per, between 2013 and 2019.. his age was then 27-33 yrs old.  That is were his true Prime/UFA years rolled into a contract extension from his RFA.

I know you’ll correct me if I’m wrong,.  Can’t wait for you to go all CAPS ;) 

I wonder why...?

Because he is there, and somebody else isn’t, because he is there..

it’s that “some things never change”?.. “and I wonder why?”  thought process.

Pugsatauni  Pete,  the ground hog even gets it.

I didn't say you were. I said you're creating an easy to attack straw man argument.

But you have him in a cape, and a captain Canuck costume,  wanting to sell Alex Edler Lunch Boxes.

Sorry, but he is not the size of the wagon wheels we used to get .

Only reason we moved on from Tanev is because he got a better deal than one that worked for us. If Edler wants to do the same, he might be gone too. Otherwise he'll sign a team friendly deal that works for us.

That’s the compromise that keeps this team in mediocrity.. rinse - repeat.

Its the opposite mentality that creates necessary change, even the most unpopular move in this teams history created that..  with the biggest fan favourite of all , Trevor Linden.

….  this from a 2020 article..

Feb. 6, 1998
The trade: Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a third-round draft pick from the New York Islanders for Trevor Linden

There were a lot of tears the day Mike Keenan had his hands on the controls long enough to jettison the iconic Linden to the East Coast. But the trade turned into one of the top three in Canucks history and became even less painful four years later when Vancouver GM Brian Burke repatriated Linden in a deal with Washington.

But this trade makes our list not because Bertuzzi developed in Vancouver into, albeit briefly, one of the best power forwards in the NHL, but because the Trevor Linden Trade Tree belongs in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

McCabe was sent to Chicago for the Blackhawks’ first pick in the 2000 NHL Draft, which gave Burke the assets he needed to select both Henrik and Daniel Sedin. Burke’s successor, Dave Nonis, built a package around Bertuzzi in 2006 to steal goalie Roberto Luongo from the Florida Panthers — and Keenan — in another epic heist. And Nonis’ successor, Mike Gillis, got eight All-Star seasons from Luongo before returning him to South Florida in 2014 in a deal that brought Jacob Markstrom to Vancouver.

Twenty-two years after the original Linden trade — and 12 since Linden retired — Markstrom remains the Canucks’ starting goalie and was having a Vezina-candidate season when it was halted in March.

There are numerous other branches to this trade tree, including Jarkko Ruutu, who agitated opponents for more than four seasons in Vancouver after the Canucks used the Islanders’ third-round pick in 1998 to draft him. And you thought Douglas Firs were big

Edited by SilentSam
  • Hydration 2

I think Edler is down the priority list on defensive options. 

To me acquiring someone better & re-signing Hamonic are both bigger priorities.

Without Edler we still have 3-4 LDs, but w/o Hamonic only 1-2 RDs (depending where Schmidt plays).

If you can get Edler on a cheap deal by all means, he can still kill penalties & play a 4/5 role IMO but I wouldn't offer more until all other options have been exhausted.

• Hydration 3
21 hours ago, gurn said:

People are talking about no change to the defense, I've just given multiple changes, some that have already happened, others that are likely.

Why  do you include Myers and Schmidt when I'd previously mentioned them as possible moves, one through ED and the other via trade?

"Canucks relied on those guys you mentioned last year instead...."   Who the heck said that?

MOVINGPOSTS.jpg.8cdf3c81dcd1d102e40cac08da748de5.jpg

Why do I include them? Because they're still here, come on man really.... Until their actually gone gone, then the guys you listed would have meaning, but until then nothing is changed until their gone.

20 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

It would be nice if we didnt have to rely on Edler for the big minutes like we did pretty much all season. If we could sign him for less than 3mil and move him to a 4/5 spot and have him take on a bit of a lesser role but still be capable of shutting down guys, I feel like that would put our back end in a very good position. He is still a solid dman and plays some really tough minutes, if someone came in and took over his role and bumped him down the bench a bit, it would be great for us

He's a 6/7 guy, his body needs rest more, he probably would look better if he played every 2nd game and stayed more fresh that way tbh, he's being relied on here way too much and he's just not that same player he once was, you just can't rely on him for those big minutes anymore and expect him to play at a top level all the time, he just can't do that anymore. 

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He's a 6/7 guy, his body needs rest more, he probably would look better if he played every 2nd game and stayed more fresh that way tbh, he's being relied on here way too much and he's just not that same player he once was, you just can't rely on him for those big minutes anymore and expect him to play at a top level all the time, he just can't do that anymore. 

Totally agreed, we need to slide him down the lineup. We relied on him pretty heavily this year and IMHO he was one of our better D. But if we could have a guy like Edler as our 2nd or 3rd pairing guy and a true #1 dman with Hughes, we’ll be in a very… very good position.

25 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Totally agreed, we need to slide him down the lineup. We relied on him pretty heavily this year and IMHO he was one of our better D. But if we could have a guy like Edler as our 2nd or 3rd pairing guy and a true #1 dman with Hughes, we’ll be in a very… very good position.

If they want to sign him after filling the spots I'm okay with that, but if he's being signed to fill the spot first I'm totally against it, time for new blood.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

I'm just tired of seeing Edler give up the puck at the blueline on the powerplay, I hate to say it but that's pretty much what I will remember him for.

The awful lazy penalties he always took i will not miss.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

The awful lazy penalties he always took i will not miss.

A lot of the awful lazy penalties that he took are the same plays that D-men on certain American teams get away with regularly. Tampa was tackling, grabbing arms, grabbing sticks, hooking, and cross-checking as part of their defensive system. There's no way a Canucks team gets away with all that. We get penalties for pushing players over and tapping them with our sticks anywhere near the hands sometimes over a foot from their hands etc.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

A lot of the awful lazy penalties that he took are the same plays that D-men on certain American teams get away with regularly. Tampa was tackling, grabbing arms, grabbing sticks, hooking, and cross-checking as part of their defensive system. There's no way a Canucks team gets away with all that. We get penalties for pushing players over and tapping them with our sticks anywhere near the hands sometimes over a foot from their hands etc.

Yes its so friggen annoying

• Hydration 1

If he goes, we should see less goals deflecting off of him.  But what I like, to be honest, is that by not signing him it will free up $6-million.  Now if he was getting just his base salary of $1-million with incentive based bonuses, we would make that deal any day of the week. But I firmly believe he won't receive a $10-million bonus this time around from any team period.  Think that is what JB is thinking.