The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Last year was also a flat cap year.

Tyson Barrie got $5 or $6 mill.  Shattenkirk near $4 mill x 2 or 3 years (cannot remember).  

Point is it will still cost $3 to $5 mill to get a 2knd pair defenseman of any substance. There will be one or two bargain deal late when guys lose leverage. There will be 8 or 10 others > where teams seek bargains?  Yet don't achieve any such substance...  

It will also still cost $5 to $8 mill, more, for a bonafide top pair defender. Or equivalent pain in assets...

Two 2knd pair D for $4mill combined would be a major achievement!

Flat cap will also continue for at least another 1 - 2 years. I don't really think we'll see an increase until 23/24 season.

• Vintage 1

Would be happy to see Hamonic back. For what he brings, re-signing him would be a good idea. 

I'd hope that the team at least waits until free agency before committing money to Edler. If they could sign a player like Oleksiak or someone of that size range, Edler becomes far less relevant. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If Edler is above 3M 

Not good cap wise. We need a bona-fide big hitter back there. Lot of ufa options towards that. 

There really is no rush to sign Edler. He wants to stay here. 

Edler -- 1.7 -- 2.2 million range X 1 yr he is 36 now--- Suter  would be interesting now...

Hamoniac - 2.2 --2.5  X 2 yrs

Still want Graves 6'5-- TOI -- 20:00

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

Oh boy.. nothing against either of them but watching the d last year, it seems silly to give the same lineup another go.. it’s one thing if they’re stuck under contract but to re-sign the same d-core.. not a fan of this.

The kids were the weak point last season.  Hughes' defense was abysmal

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would be happy to see Hamonic back. For what he brings, re-signing him would be a good idea. 

I'd hope that the team at least waits until free agency before committing money to Edler. If they could sign a player like Oleksiak or someone of that size range, Edler becomes far less relevant. 

Wait till the dust settles for signing Edler by then we should shed some contracts. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Newell Brown.

Shaw probably has major input into the roster for next season and very likely has  green lit from his side of things.

Baumer can learn some things from Shaw as well. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

The kids were the weak point last season.  Hughes' defense was abysmal

Really have to re think Hughes D

Last year he was as bad as the old retirement Sedin's back there. Pushing a little pylon out of the way. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Shaw probably has major input into the roster for next season and very likely has  green lit from his side of things.

Baumer can learn some things from Shaw as well. 

I believe this is the case going forward, and if it isn't, it should be. At the present, he possesses the most NHL experience as a coach of anyone in the organization. He should be leaned on heavily. 

BumG could learn everything from Shaw.

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Great the exact same defense as last year im so excited for next season. 

(sacasm)

The point is we still have to another Dman or 2 IF these 2 are signed. It’s not as simple as just letting Hamonic walk and getting another defencemen. Are we going to find someone cheaper and more effective then Hamonic? Not very good odds. 

Don’t complain until see what else develops. It was more than just a player personal issue last year. Maybe keeping some of the glue together and adding to it is the right way to go about it 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Mr. Benning,

Jamie Olesiak and Jani Hakanpaa are available as UFA’s. Just wanted to let you know in case your paperwork is not up to date. 

With love always,

Petey 

Oleksiak and Hakanpaa could be re-signed by their respective teams before free agency. I'd love to have both on the team, mind you, but they'd also have to want to be on the team too.

I can't understand why almost every topic (rumour) is getting such a negative reaction, plus finger pointing (The Team / Benning) from some people when nothing has even happened yet! Even if a few things do happen, there is still the whole summer including some key dates to make all the changes they want to make. 

People talking about the same defense...again, nothing has happened yet and again, there is a whole summer to make changes, even if they make 1-2 now. They could re-sign Hamonic and Edler (which isn't the worst thing) and still make other changes. Plus, i think hiring Shaw needs to be factored into the changes as well. And, it's easy to say don't re-sign so and so, but every player that leaves needs replaced and sometimes that's easier said than done. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oleksiak and Hakanpaa could be re-signed by their respective teams before free agency. I'd love to have both on the team, mind you, but they'd also have to want to be on the team too.

This is true. I just wanted to make sure Benning’s paperwork was up to date and that he actually knows they are UFA’s. -_-

• Haha 1