The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

1.5 for Edler and 2.5 for Hamonic would be ideal. I think a whole season and a proper training camp for Hamonic will do wonders for Quinn. The first 20 games for Quinn was brutal. He was trying to do too much and lost his focus on his strengths. JB needs to bring in a RH depth Dman to rotate with OJ and Rathbone or hope Woo takes a big step and contend for the 7-8 spot. Or dangle Hogs and Lind for that elusive Rh Dman. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mr. Benning,

Jamie Olesiak and Jani Hakanpaa are available as UFA’s. Just wanted to let you know in case your paperwork is not up to date. 

With love always,

Petey 

Oleksiak is going to be overpaid. Bet on it. He is coveted. We can’t afford it right now barring major changes. 

I’d love to have him on the team but ppl should also remember…he’s slow. 

Just now, RWJC said:

Oleksiak is going to be overpaid. Bet on it. He is coveted. We can’t afford it right now barring major changes. 

So is Edler. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

In terms of mobility, ideally he’d fit well with Schmidt, but we wouldn’t be able to afford both, imho.

Hughes Hamonic

Edler Myers

Juolevi Rathbone 

Where do we improve exactly? I think I’d rather take the 5 million for those two and sign a better partner for Hughes.

This also makes me worried Benning is gonna throw Juolevi and Rathbone into a deal.

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mr. Benning,

Jamie Olesiak and Jani Hakanpaa are available as UFA’s. Just wanted to let you know in case your paperwork is not up to date. 

With love always,

Petey 

And Hairy Kneel 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There's also no guarantee that we'd get who we want from the UFA market, there are going to be 31 other teams out there considering the same players we would be. 

Exactly. It’s not as easy as people make it to be. Sure there’s guys that I want to see in a Canucks uni but you can’t force them to sign with the club and if that’s the route your taking prepare to overpay. I’m sure there more suitors then a few years ago but there are many variables. 

Not offering these guys contracts would be a mistake. We don’t know what they were offered. They may take it or leave it. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So is Edler. 

Yeah but Edler has been here and is a constant in the room. We saw what happened last year when two key members of the team were allowed to walk and were replaced by “misfits”.

You need some stability during a transition. That’s what Edler will be getting paid for this season if he comes back.

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The other thing is, Hamonic's on record in saying that he wants to be here. We already knew Edler wants to be here. Are we going to find two UFA's who want to be here who'd be more flexible on price and term than Edler and Hamonic? Unlikely. Especially Edler, but Hamonic too given he's spent at least a year with the organization now. 

There's also no guarantee that we'd get who we want from the UFA market, there are going to be 31 other teams out there considering the same players we would be. 

It's not as simple as "let these two guys walk and grab x and y". 

Although Hamonic has stated that he wants to be here he has advised his agent to open up the talks to all NHL teams. So that tells me that they are looking for the best deal. He won’t come cheap. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

In terms of mobility, ideally he’d fit well with Schmidt, but we wouldn’t be able to afford both, imho.

Schmidt is most likely gone before the season starts. How much of an increase do you think Oleksiak will see as a free agent? He's presently making $2.1M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schmidt is most likely gone before the season starts. How much of an increase do you think Oleksiak will see as a free agent? He's presently making $2.1M.

3 X 3 book it 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Yeah but Edler has been here and is a constant in the room. We saw what happened last year when two key members of the team were allowed to walk and were replaced by “misfits”.

You need some stability during a transition. That’s what Edler will be getting paid for this season if he comes back.

Do you really want Myers to be longest serving leader on the back end? As much as I like him, I don’t want that.

The D will improve over this season and next. It’s inevitable based on last years performance. Give Shaw some time to figure out what he has and what we need and then JB will hopefully pursue with a measure of control and success.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Personally I can't see Edler's absence (in the event that he isn't re-signed) having the same effect as the absence of Markstrom, Tanev, and Stecher. That's me though. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’d say he’s gonna get 4.5 on open market. Minimum. And likely 3+ years.

• Vintage 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Do you really want Myers to be longest serving leader on the back end? As much as I like him, I don’t want that.

The D will improve over this season and next. It’s inevitable based on last years performance. Give Shaw some time to figure out what he has and what we need and then JB will hopefully pursue with a measure of control and success.

Are you conversing with yourself, RW? 

• Haha 2