The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Farm team name, brand and logo reveal

-SN-

1 hour ago, tas said:

I've always been a vocal denunciator of anything johnny canuck, but I'm trying to look on the bright side -- using that branding for abby should mean the end of anything to do with it for the big club.

That is at least a positive way to look at it tas.

I can't say I am a real fan of the logo either but it is the owners choice and not ours to make. I just hope they can surround the Abby prospects with some decent complimentary pieces and field a competitive team.

1 hour ago, tas said:

I've always been a vocal denunciator of anything johnny canuck, but I'm trying to look on the bright side -- using that branding for abby should mean the end of anything to do with it for the big club.

The idea is the team is out in the Valley.  Lots of green out there.  That's why the team's main colour is green and not blue.  The Johnny Canuck represents the outdoors, kinda like out in the Valley with all the trees and greenery.  That's why they chose that logo.  The name Canucks was obvious.  It's because Aquilini is a traditionalist and likes to keep things simple.  That's why he changed the colours of the team back to their original colours.

People may not like the name or the logo but it does make alot of sense if you really think about it.  And contrary to what others have said their seems to have been alot of thought into it to keep it traditional.

• Like 1

All in all I goota say I am happy with this. 

I would have went elsewhere with the name because to me a player has to earn the right to be a Canuck beyond playing on the farm team but I like that they went with the fan's choice of the Johnny Canuck logo.

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here is the jersey:

E6RgKJlVoAEvLjd?format=jpg&name=large

Horrible like said many times by others the most cartoony logo ever in all of sports not just hockey. I mean come on this was a good chance to show that Canucks had some fashion sense. Looks akward at least upgrade the Johnny Canuck to look more modern and fierce like the Giants logo. Looks like a child cut out the images from a cartoon book and glued onto jersey. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

10 hours ago, Squamfan said:

image.jpeg.8aec4ebf02f1d207b1e14605a3c5d27c.jpeg

Seriously what is this??? Also why the heck is the logo off center near the top? Should have gone with the avaitor logo or the millionaires v but upside down with abbotsford printed on it. Would have looked more simple stylish and fierce. Why the heck do canucks jerseys all have to look soft including the orca don't they know outer appearance also plays a big part psychologically on the opponent. (research backs it up)

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

they should have gone with the aviator logo in the V that is often used on the boards

Johnny Canuck was actually a WWI comic book hero- an allied pilot, as part of allied propaganda, fits with the Abbotsford aviation history- would have been a cool historical story line 

disappointed if this us not featured somewhere because it smacks of an organization that does not know there own history

image.png.b43b9a283ca46100fe5db286f72b8a86.pngimage.png.863f3b6723404fc1334ee85661f9e8e3.png

This should have been the jerseys and logo way more stylish and at least fierce. Heck I would favour this also for Vancouver Canucks over the logo. You should have sent this to Aquilini no joke. 

3 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Seriously what is this??? Also why the heck is the logo off center near the top? Should have gone with the avaitor logo or the millionaires v but upside down with abbotsford printed on it. Would have looked more simple stylish and fierce. Why the heck do canucks jerseys all have to look soft including the orca don't they know outer appearance also plays a big part psychologically on the opponent. (research backs it up)

That's not the jersey Abbotsford is using. There's not the same stripes on the sleeve like there are on Abbotsford's jersey. It's probably a knock-off or just the fashion jersey.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

You just quoted Squamfam which is all you need to know.  That jersey looks photoshopped.  The logo is completely off centre which is the telling sign.  The Canucks never used it and it was never for sale.  

Identity Crisis: A Comprehensive History of Vancouver Canucks Jerseys | Derek Woo

really surprised they have finally put johnny canuck on an official jersey. it's been a long, long time coming. can live with the design but have seen better prototypes online. it could have been much, much worse. i guess they realised there was no way to justify orca's in abby. anything to do with aviation would have been clinical and uninspiring. dont make no difference now but, lumberjacks would have been a nice alternative to canooks. i wonder if now, that we have finally put a logo representative of our nickname onto the jersey, albeit the farm team, will it be enough to break the stanley cup curse; will it be enough for the parent club to win the cup? i'll buy a jersey or two annywho

The reveal delay, it's almost as if they had a different logo, but then changed their minds at the last minute.  Too much green!

Johnny Canuck's shirt should be a yellow plaid and the pants brown, or something. This logo blends into the green too much. 

4 hours ago, granpappy said:

really surprised they have finally put johnny canuck on an official jersey. it's been a long, long time coming. can live with the design but have seen better prototypes online. it could have been much, much worse. i guess they realised there was no way to justify orca's in abby. anything to do with aviation would have been clinical and uninspiring. dont make no difference now but, lumberjacks would have been a nice alternative to canooks. i wonder if now, that we have finally put a logo representative of our nickname onto the jersey, albeit the farm team, will it be enough to break the stanley cup curse; will it be enough for the parent club to win the cup? i'll buy a jersey or two annywho

But you see that's the problem. How do you describe a Canuck? Canadians are all types and looks. You can go with just a stylized VC but that's pretty boring. 

I'd like to see the orca done by a real First Nations artist. And see how it looks. The fact the fan base is all over the place of what they like and don't like. 

And that changes year by year. I said it before and I'll say it again, this fan base can't even agree on a uniform, let alone anything else. 

• Cheers 1