Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber's career threatened by lingering foot, ankle problems

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

On the basis of how big a douchebag Pronger was  I’d pick Weber lol 

Yeah but when he's on your team he's your douchebag. And man, what a douchebag! :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

On the basis of how big a douchebag Pronger was  I’d pick Weber lol 

Lol on the basis of being a d-bag it's not like Weber was exactly Mr. Clean himself.
Still remember how he grabbed and then shoved Zetterberg's head into the glass.
That aside, still awful for a career to end this way, if it does.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Weber.

Not even close.

Cone on now... Don't think it gets much closer.

 

Both were/are dominant, punishing, two way, true #1 D who can dictate a game in every nook and cranny of that 200' of ice.

 

I'm all for selecting one over the other but to say it's not close... Come on...

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Cone on now... Don't think it gets much closer.

 

Both were/are dominant, punishing, two way, true #1 D who can dictate a game in every nook and cranny of that 200' of ice.

 

I'm all for selecting one over the other but to say it's not close... Come on...

Weber:

Hard, physical, hell of a shot.

Pronger:

dirty, cheap shotter 

 

Not even close.

 

  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Weber.

Not even close.

Pronger has a Hart (unprecedented during that era) and a Norris over Weber.

 

Weber is a great player, but Pronger is a tier above him.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Cone on now... Don't think it gets much closer.

 

Both were/are dominant, punishing, two way, true #1 D who can dictate a game in every nook and cranny of that 200' of ice.

 

I'm all for selecting one over the other but to say it's not close... Come on...

I agree. This is about as close a comparison as a person can find. I've been a massive fan of Weber since he entered the league and never did like Pronger very much. That said, it would be a coin toss between the two. IMO, I think these two are the best all around 200' dmen in the last 40 or so years.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Pronger has a Hart (unprecedented during that era) and a Norris over Weber.

 

Weber is a great player, but Pronger is a tier above him.

Awards?, who cares.

Weber, each and every time.

Always go with the quality guy, and not the dirty, cheap shotter.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So a player who just went to the Cup finals and played well over 20 minutes a game all of a sudden has an injury that may prevent him from every playing again...sounds like BS to me!

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So a player who just went to the Cup finals and played well over 20 minutes a game all of a sudden has an injury that may prevent him from every playing again...sounds like BS to me!

Do some research.  There were concerns in 2020 that his ankle/foot injuries would end his career then.  It’s not just one injury. It’s foot/ankle/hand.  The fact that he even played this season is amazing.  The guy is a warrior.  
 

check the date of that tweet.  This isn’t a new issue. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weber won’t screw Nashville like Luongo did with Vancouver. He’s too much of a team player to do that. He’ll go the long term injury route.

Speaking of our Luongo cap hit, I was thinking about it more the other day, and wondering if Canucks didn’t argue against it more because our owner is a bit on the cheap side? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Luongo cap hit doesn’t actually mean the Canucks are paying that amount annually to anyone. It’s basically just meaning we can’t spend the amount up to the cap each year as a penalty. Without that cap hit, I assume ownership would feel obligated to be spending to the cap each of the last few years. So in essence, our owner has saved himself some money by not having to spend real money all the way to the cap the past few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Who do you take in their prime, Pronger or Weber?

That's really tough. I lean towards Weber, but probably Pronger. Pronger was a force of nature, he was the huge piece behind Philly and Edmonton making the final, and a huge reason (alongside Neidermeyer) that Anaheim won it all. Not the mention the international bits. And the personal awards. 

 

He also played during an era where toughness was more prevalent, but continued to excel during the modern game. I wager that if him and Weber began their careers at the same time Pronger would be the better player. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Weber won’t screw Nashville like Luongo did with Vancouver. He’s too much of a team player to do that. He’ll go the long term injury route.

Speaking of our Luongo cap hit, I was thinking about it more the other day, and wondering if Canucks didn’t argue against it more because our owner is a bit on the cheap side? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Luongo cap hit doesn’t actually mean the Canucks are paying that amount annually to anyone. It’s basically just meaning we can’t spend the amount up to the cap each year as a penalty. Without that cap hit, I assume ownership would feel obligated to be spending to the cap each of the last few years. So in essence, our owner has saved himself some money by not having to spend real money all the way to the cap the past few years.

He may decide to show more loyalty to Montreal.  Having to deal with $7.85 LTIR for the next 5 seasons is a huge pain for Montreal. It really handcuffs them.  He’ll certainly be on LTIR this season but beyond that he may choose to help out the Habs over the Preds 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Closer then most people will admit, but I would still take Weber based on that shot. I still remember him putting holes in the net and needing replays to confirm the goals. Lol

WEBERBOARDS.jpg.2408d84173932811b960f00bb188cc77.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Cone on now... Don't think it gets much closer.

 

Both were/are dominant, punishing, two way, true #1 D who can dictate a game in every nook and cranny of that 200' of ice.

 

I'm all for selecting one over the other but to say it's not close... Come on...

I think a lot of people are forgetting just how good Pronger was in his prime lol.

 

That being said, it is a pretty even matchup although I'm slightly going to lean on Weber over Pronger

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

I agree. This is about as close a comparison as a person can find. I've been a massive fan of Weber since he entered the league and never did like Pronger very much. That said, it would be a coin toss between the two. IMO, I think these two are the best all around 200' dmen in the last 40 or so years.

Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermeyer,  Ray Bouquet, Denis Potvin, Paul Coffey,  Nickolas Lidstrom, Chara

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...