The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber's career threatened by lingering foot, ankle problems

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Weber goes on LTIR there's no reason for him to come off it. Lu didn't bother to even try. 

He's owed only $1 million each year for the last 3 years of his contract.  I don't think he will have a problem walking away from $3 million off a $110 million contract.  Luongo walked away from the last 3 years of his deal and $3.6 million.  It helps Montreal if he retires and it kills Nashville.  Does Weber have a concern over whether Nashville will have a recapture or not, or would he just prefer to move on with his life post retirement and maybe find a job somewhere in the hockey world like Luongo did?

There was no reason for Luongo to stay on LTIR for another 3 years simply to help Vancouver.  He wanted to move on with his life.  Weber may choose to do the same thing.  The only concern for Weber is that Nashville gets pissed off enough that they don't retire his number.  I don't think Montreal retires his #6, they already have 17 numbers retired and #6 and #8 are the only two numbers left not retired in the top 10.  

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

This really sucks, always been a fan. He's that big, rugged, prototypical #1D who can contribute at both ends at an elite level that fans dream of having. Players like him are unicorns. 

This. 
Plus he can fight. 

Played beer league with somebody who claims to have fought Shea Weber.

Says Shea knocked him out cold. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's really tough. I lean towards Weber, but probably Pronger. Pronger was a force of nature, he was the huge piece behind Philly and Edmonton making the final, and a huge reason (alongside Neidermeyer) that Anaheim won it all. Not the mention the international bits. And the personal awards. 

He also played during an era where toughness was more prevalent, but continued to excel during the modern game. I wager that if him and Weber began their careers at the same time Pronger would be the better player. 

I saw Pronger play a number of times from the 2nd and third rows. Wow, I can't say I've ever seen someone so dynamic up close before. A force of nature indeed. It was literally scary as a fan when the other team dumped it into your corner.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I saw Pronger play a number of times from the 2nd and third rows. Wow, I can't say I've ever seen someone so dynamic up close before. A force of nature indeed. It was literally scary as a fan when the other team dumped it into your corner.

We'll probably never see another player quite like him again, in part because the game has changed

I didn't even touch on his St. Louis days, the dude was truly dominant at both ends of the ice 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Bettman won't let Nashville suffer any recapture penalties, so this is a done deal for sure. 

Man this is sad tho, I was hoping he had more in him but he didn't look 100% in the playoffs this year. 

Tell you what though, Shea still looked better than more than half the d-men in the league despite his injuries. It sucks that he might call it quits, but if he does, its been a hell of a career. Sure fire hall of famer, one of the very best during his era

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We'll probably never see another player quite like him again, in part because the game has changed

I didn't even touch on his St. Louis days, the dude was truly dominant at both ends of the ice 

He grabbed the Flyers by the neck and through them into the finals almost singlehandedly. That Flyers team had no business being in the finals if it wasn't for Pronger

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Same, seen Pronger live a few times, boy was he good. He's probably one of the fewest players you can say, he was the worst skater on the ice, but he was also the BEST player on the ice. The guy was slow as molasses during his twilight years and yet he managed to slow down the best players in a fast skating game. Sign of a true master. I remember him playing in Anaheim , he'd skate with the puck like nothings bothering him then he'd unleash an absolute laser tape to tape to a streaking Selanne

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Pronger has a Hart (unprecedented during that era) and a Norris over Weber.

Weber is a great player, but Pronger is a tier above him.

Yup I agree. Weber is a great player, but he's no Chris Pronger. I'd probably slot Prongs just under Lidstrom but above Niedermeyer

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Same, seen Pronger live a few times, boy was he good. He's probably one of the fewest players you can say, he was the worst skater on the ice, but he was also the BEST player on the ice. The guy was slow as molasses during his twilight years and yet he managed to slow down the best players in a fast skating game. Sign of a true master. I remember him playing in Anaheim , he'd skate with the puck like nothings bothering him then he'd unleash an absolute laser tape to tape to a streaking Selanne

Agree, but at the same time he played in the perfect era for that kind of game.  He wouldn't be as effective in 2020 and probably be suspended more time than Raffi Torres.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's owed only $1 million each year for the last 3 years of his contract.  I don't think he will have a problem walking away from $3 million off a $110 million contract.  Luongo walked away from the last 3 years of his deal and $3.6 million.  It helps Montreal if he retires and it kills Nashville.  Does Weber have a concern over whether Nashville will have a recapture or not, or would he just prefer to move on with his life post retirement and maybe find a job somewhere in the hockey world like Luongo did?

There was no reason for Luongo to stay on LTIR for another 3 years simply to help Vancouver.  He wanted to move on with his life.  Weber may choose to do the same thing.  The only concern for Weber is that Nashville gets pissed off enough that they don't retire his number.  I don't think Montreal retires his #6, they already have 17 numbers retired and #6 and #8 are the only two numbers left not retired in the top 10.  

I guess if there's some kind of post-hockey career reason that he needs to officially retire? otherwise he'll take the cheques, and he's earned them. 

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Another cap circumvention contract that will not get penalized because he will retire due to injury instead of riding out his contract.  

The worse thing is he wants to retire but Gary is investigating it to see if it can be put on LTIR so that a American sunbelt team doesn’t get it

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Why couldn't the NHL not investigate the Luongo and see if he could be put on LTIR. The thing is now it's going to hammer an American , an American team in the sunbelt and now all of sudden Gary is worried and he investigating it?

Luongo was eligible for LTIR but he decided against it.  It was better for Florida for him to retire than go on LTIR.  The Canucks had no say in the decision because they traded him.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Luongo was eligible for LTIR but he decided against it.  It was better for Florida for him to retire than go on LTIR.  The Canucks had no say in the decision because they traded him.

But Weber wants to retire but the league is investigating it so it can be put on LTIR so Nashville voids the penalty