The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

12 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

You’re comparing it to some of the best teams in the league. I’d wager the Canucks are probably in the top half of the league when you consider winger depth. Obviously like I said before in a perfect world you’d like to always improve everything but in a cap world we have much bigger priorities than winger.

I agree the d is terrible but if you want to win you need to compare your team to the top teams not top half. 

Top half means they are a fringe playoff team.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

How the hell is a player like Hyman demanding 8 years? 

He plays some cushy minutes with Matthews and now him and his agent think he’s a franchise player? Sounds like he’s pulling an Anson Carter…

I would offer him 4 years @ 4.5 mil max. He’ll be a bottom 6 player in year 3 of the contract.

Yeah, Dubas and the Laffs staff had made something out of a mostly bottom 6 player, looking to cash in FA.   The importance of a staffs role when it comes to player development; and on the opposite side, Greens affect on Schmidt.

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Money and contract aside, Hyman would be one hell of a fit for this team. I could see him help petey elevate his game even more. At least hes the exact opposite player than loui erikkson was. A guy you really never question how hard he works, i like players like that.

Unfortunately it isn't the 90s and can't put money and contracts aside.  We are looking at a 7.5M qualifying offer for Boeser next year, still don't know what EP and QH contracts will look like and our best prospects are all on the wing.

How much money do we spend on wing when our holes are 3rd line C and right D.  

How do we give away assets to fill one of the areas of relative strength before knowing how we will fill those holes.

Spending bank on a winger that is 29 when we are still early in rebuild when we already have some big ticket wingers is short sided, so a distinct possibility for Benning.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Unfortunately it isn't the 90s and can't put money and contracts aside.  We are looking at a 7.5M qualifying offer for Boeser next year, still don't know what EP and QH contracts will look like and our best prospects are all on the wing.

How do we give away assets to fill one of the areas of relative strength before knowing how we will fill those holes.

Spending bank on a winger that is 29 when we are still early in rebuild when we already have some big ticket wingers is short sided, so a distinct possibility for Benning.

Well we definitely dont have the money to sign him so i wouldnt worry about benning doing something crazy.  

• Cheers 1

I mean I’m okay with acquiring hyman but how many assets we gotta give up to get his rights then how much we gotta pay him? If I’m human I wait till ufa season and get as much as possible no? Unless we are underestimating what contracts are gonna be dished out with Flat cap. Like should we expect Hoffman and Tofolli kinda deals?

anyways hypothetically say we get human without giving up anything of value and he signs more reasonably then expected:

Hyman-Petey-Boeser

Highmore-Miller-Hoglander 

Pearson-Horvat-Podkokzin

its still not good enough.

woukd need a third line C added or another wing that can cover C for injuries.

like Sam Reinhart. If we got Sam Reinhart and Hyman that would be good.

Hyman-EP40-Reinhart

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

or 

Miller-EP40-Boeser

Hyman-Reinhart-Hoglander 

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

dpmt know if it works money wise and we still need to get Larsson or someone like him for Hughes.

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Next season isn’t to much of an issue with Rooster, LE, the recapture, beagle etc all coming off the books, (if they do nothing aboit then) we have about 20m in cap space opening up. The issue will be how would we fit in any players this year?

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Next season isn’t to much of an issue with Rooster, LE, the recapture, beagle etc all coming off the books, (if they do nothing aboit then) we have about 20m in cap space opening up. The issue will be how would we fit in any players this year?

Only way is if we somehow get rid of erikksons, holtby and buyout virtanen. That opens up 13 mill of cap almost. Can jim do that i dunno i doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Only way is if we somehow get rid of erikksons, holtby and buyout virtanen. That opens up 13 mill of cap almost. Can jim do that i dunno i doubt it.

May get lucky and lose Holtby in ED.  If can find vet backup on short term deal could save 3M cap this year.  Still wouldn't spend it on wing.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

With the interest in Holtby seems trading him is a real possibility.  Buyout of Virtanen is straightforward.  So that leaves Loui Eriksson.

9OA plus Loui plus Lind to Buffalo for Reinhart is a possibility?

Tempting if they sign Hyman and have to expose Lind to the Kraken.

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

With the interest in Holtby seems trading him is a real possibility.  Buyout of Virtanen is straightforward.  So that leaves Loui Eriksson.

9OA plus Loui plus Lind to Buffalo for Reinhart is a possibility?

Tempting if they sign Hyman and have to expose Lind to the Kraken.

I wouldnt even throw in Lind. You want the pick u have to pay for it or lose reinhart in a year.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:54 AM, rekker said:

Big mistake by the Leafs letting this happen. Trade Nylander to open up some cap for a real player like Hyman. Or even the unspeakable. Trade AM. Trade AM for a decent young center plus, plus, plus. They would be better off with a home run return for AM. He can shoot, but is easily one of the more overhyped players in the NHL imho.

Hyman has cronic injury issues , and he's almost 30