The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

9 hours ago, appleboy said:

Zach Hyman. 3.5 mil for four years. No more. 

This is a guy who didn't make the NHL until he was 24.  Protect Lind because he could be on a similar path. Trading away McCann left a hole . Jim makes moves to fill one hole just to create another. This is because we do not have enough depth yet ,at any position. We are a few more drafts away. 

If they move Boeser for a D man then we will need a winger. Actually we need more wingers now.

Forget the playoffs unless it happens organically. Slow down and make smart deals. This club is on the right path.

If only aquaman hired you instead of Jim we would have had a cup by now. Be sure to drop off resume. I have high hopes. Fingers crossed 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Man if we can unload schmidt and erikkson somehow we could really be in on larsson and maybe even saad

I don't think we need to unload Nate, he's a good player. If we can trade Holtby to CHI that might be close to enough room to bring in Larsson. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/15/2021 at 10:54 AM, rekker said:

Big mistake by the Leafs letting this happen. Trade Nylander to open up some cap for a real player like Hyman. Or even the unspeakable. Trade AM. Trade AM for a decent young center plus, plus, plus. They would be better off with a home run return for AM. He can shoot, but is easily one of the more overhyped players in the NHL imho.

Dunno about “one of the more overhyped players in the NHL”…

Had me until that. 

Nylander is an unbelievable contract. Should never have been signed.

Trading AM would be akin to trading Horvat. Now Horvat for AM, if you’re Vancouver, you gotta think that one real hard. And that, is because Horvat is our beloved Captain. Otherwise it may just be a no-brainer.

Austin Matthews is McDavid good. But Matthews works in the Mecca of the NHL, while McDavid works on an oil well deep in the middle of nowhere.

That stupid moustache has to go. But the player is great.

Edited by Me_

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

Dunno about “one of the more overhyped players in the NHL”…

Had me until that. 

Nylander is an unbelievable contract. Should never have been signed.

Trading AM would be akin to trading Horvat. Now Horvat for AM, if you’re Vancouver, you gotta think that one real hard. And that, is because Horvat is our beloved Captain. Otherwise it may just be a no-brainer.

Austin Matthews is McDavid good. But Matthews works in the Mecca of the NHL, while McDavid works on an oil well deep in the middle of nowhere.

That stupid moustache has to go. But the player is great.

Lol, that mustache though. The thing with AM is he's put on such a pedestal (TO media). For a big guy he's not physical. He comes in at the wrong angles when battling for leverage, most often on the wrong side for defensive coverage in his end. Loses a lot of battles for his size. I don't see him elevate when needed against good teams at important times. His defensive play-effort is minimum. He's the "hey guys, get me the puck" type. Not like EP, who does everything he can to get back possession. I'm not in the room but in no way does he strike me as a leader. He's got a hell of  shot, dangerous in the red zone. He's one dimensional. That's all fine but for 11.5 and the pedestal he's placed on I'm not buying it and it's why I called him overhyped. I know the type and they were always my least favorite player. They never get dirty, but can't wait to be in the parade. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol, that mustache though. The thing with AM is he's put on such a pedestal (TO media). For a big guy he's not physical. He comes in at the wrong angles when battling for leverage, most often on the wrong side for defensive coverage in his end. Loses a lot of battles for his size. I don't see him elevate when needed against good teams at important times. His defensive play-effort is minimum. He's the "hey guys, get me the puck" type. Not like EP, who does everything he can to get back possession. I'm not in the room but in no way does he strike me as a leader. He's got a hell of  shot, dangerous in the red zone. He's one dimensional. That's all fine but for 11.5 and the pedestal he's placed on I'm not buying it and it's why I called him overhyped. I know the type and they were always my least favorite player. They never get dirty, but can't wait to be in the parade. 

When I got to this point I thought, "big guy"? So I went and looked him up and I was surprised that Matthews is listed at 6'3", 220 pounds. Is this a typo or something? If someone asked me to give a physical description of Matthews I might have said that he was (maybe) scraping 6' and weigh in the range of 190 - 200 pounds. 

I get no sense of a physical presence with regard to Matthews. Heck, Pettersson has more of a physical presence than that guy (or even Hoglander for that matter).

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

Im sorry i just cant get over how excellent our top 12 would look like if we added hyman. Not even having to give up an asset either. Imo would be the best top 6 in the division by a lot. 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Hyman-Horvat-Hoglander
Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin
Motte-Beagle-Highmore

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im sorry i just cant get over how excellent our top 12 would look like if we added hyman. Not even having to give up an asset either. Imo would be the best top 6 in the division by a lot. 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Hyman-Horvat-Hoglander
Motte-Beagle-Highmore

It would but I think the price will just be too high, if he's going to highest bidder only. If he takes a discount one would think he just stays put. Rumors of a 6 × 6 offer from the Oilers. I wouldn't want to get even close to that. This has David Clarkson written all over it.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Hyman-Horvat-Hoglander
Motte-Beagle-Highmore

I really like Hyman and would love him on our team. Dependent on the contract of course.

As for your projected lineup, the top 9 is top 5 in the league but the 4th line is bottom 5 imo.

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

It would but I think the price will just be too high, if he's going to highest bidder only. If he takes a discount one would think he just stays put. Rumors of a 6 × 6 offer from the Oilers. I wouldn't want to get even close to that. This has David Clarkson written all over it.

I dont see anything about hyman turning out like david clarkson. I get why everyone is worried about the contact tho but we would get at least 4 productive seasons out of him at least. The last 2 is up in the air imo.

4 minutes ago, J-P said:

I really like Hyman and would love him on our team. Dependent on the contract of course.

As for your projected lineup, the top 9 is top 5 in the league but the 4th line is bottom 5 imo.

Idk motte if healthy is fantastic, beagle is still a good pk guy and faceoff guy and highmore did well for us since arriving. I dont think its a bottom 5 group at all

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dont see anything about hyman turning out like david clarkson. I get why everyone is worried about the contact tho but we would get at least 4 productive seasons out of him at least. The last 2 is up in the air imo.

Clarkson may have been a little harsh, but Hyman will be 30 next season? I'm not saying I don't want the guy here. I love his style of play and lord knows we need more of that. Just not the type and age of player you break the bank for imho. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Clarkson may have been a little harsh, but Hyman will be 30 next season? I'm not saying I don't want the guy here. I love his style of play and lord knows we need more of that. Just not the type and age of player you break the bank for imho. 

I mean is it really the worst thing ever to have 1 guy in his 30s in the top 9? Personally think noone would be upset about it once he starts to play.

adding petey podz hyman and dickie to our forward group after what happened last season would be pretty damn sick.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I mean is it really the worst thing ever to have 1 guy in his 30s in the top 9? Personally think noone would be upset about it once he starts to play.

adding petey podz hyman and dickie to our forward group after what happened last season would be pretty damn sick.

Talk to me after the D is fixed. If we have room for Hyman after our tissue soft D is looked after, I'm all aboard the Hyman train.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Idk motte if healthy is fantastic, beagle is still a good pk guy and faceoff guy and highmore did well for us since arriving. I dont think its a bottom 5 group at all

Motte is a 4th liner in the top 10 teams of the league. Highmore is not an NHL player on most rosters in the NHL. Beagle if healthy has regressed but is maybe a 4th line center on the bottom 10 teams.

Of course chemistry matters, beagle/rousell/Motte was for an example way better as a unit than individually.

But like i said that top 9 you proposed is really good but the 4th line is really bad.

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think Benning’s past record contributes to many fans feeling a bit gun-shy about adding players in that general age group. There’s definitely nothing wrong with having a good player in his 30’s in the top-nine. But having around $20M tied up in 4 or 5 older players, with the ones who can still actually take NHL shifts only contributing at around “replacement level,” and the other ones either stuck on LTIR or buried in the AHL? That’s where things can get a bit messy.

It’s also a question of timing and overall strategy in building a competitive team. Do we roll the dice on aging UFAs now? Is it a smart use of cap space? Does it make sense to sign those players just to get us over the playoff bubble? Or should we be rebuilding with youth to the point where we are actually a playoff team, and then, once we’ve reached that level, look to add in a couple veteran UFAs who can take the group to the next level and “contender” status?

Right now, we’re just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, when it comes to many of Benning’s bad contracts coming off the books. It’s not really surprising that some fans are reluctant to support re-assigning cap space to player acquisitions of a similar type to the ones that created this team’s cap issues.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Benning’s past record contributes to many fans feeling a bit gun-shy about adding players in that general age group. There’s definitely nothing wrong with having a good player in his 30’s in the top-nine. But having around $20M tied up in 4 or 5 older players, with the ones who can still actually take NHL shifts only contributing at around “replacement level,” and the other ones either stuck on LTIR or buried in the AHL? That’s where things can get a bit messy.

It’s also a question of timing and overall strategy in building a competitive team. Do we roll the dice on aging UFAs now? Is it a smart use of cap space? Does it make sense to sign those players just to get us over the playoff bubble? Or should we be rebuilding with youth to the point where we are actually a playoff team, and then, once we’ve reached that level, look to add in a couple veteran UFAs who can take the group to the next level and “contender” status?

Right now, we’re just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, when it comes to many of Benning’s bad contracts coming off the books. It’s not really surprising that some fans are reluctant to support re-assigning cap space to player acquisitions of a similar type to the ones that created this team’s cap issues.

Im not surprised fans are cautious about it I totally get it. Its Hymans game and how he plays the game is whats exciting about him to me. I like how this would look to both miller and horvat knowing the management wants to win now. The guy is all hustle and heart and not to lose any assets to get him is just so tempting. Petey, podz, dickie and hyman are would be all upgrades defensively to help out our D. 

15 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im not surprised fans are cautious about it I totally get it. Its Hymans game and how he plays the game is whats exciting about him to me. I like how this would look to both miller and horvat knowing the management wants to win now. The guy is all hustle and heart and not to lose any assets to get him is just so tempting. Petey, podz, dickie and hyman are would be all upgrades defensively to help out our D. 

You would make a great salesman! Lol. Call JB. What can we do to get you into this car? I mean contract. Haha. 

Edited by rekker
  • Haha 1