The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't say heavily injured, but definitely missing a good number of games. He's got 165 games out of 208 possible games in the past three years, which pro-rates to about 65 games per 82-game season. Definitely Tanev/Salo-like in that regard.

The thing that would concern me is the type of game Hyman plays leads to injury. The way you pro-rated his history lends more to how his agent would argue for him, but if I was a GM in negotiations I’d argue that he’s approaching 30 years old, playing a taxing style of game on a body that has previous issues, and as he gets older, that wear and tear has much more of an effect, even exponentially. 

If he wants term, and gets it, it’s a gamble. A big one.

If I was a Coiler fan I’d be stressed.

That he’s going to get injured at a time when he’s needed most, like a stretch run for playoff positioning, or even in the playoffs themselves. Times when players up their play level and push their own limits. 

I understand market value, but Imho I just think he’s not worth it even at a low AAV. Year 2 or year 3 he will visibly decline from the level and style of play he is accustomed to and has had success with. I just can’t see his body keeping up.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

The thing that would concern me is the type of game Hyman plays leads to injury. The way you pro-rated his history lends more to how his agent would argue for him, but if I was a GM in negotiations I’d argue that he’s approaching 30 years old, playing a taxing style of game on a body that has previous issues, and as he gets older, that wear and tear has much more of an effect, even exponentially. 

If he wants term, and gets it, it’s a gamble. A big one.

If I was a Coiler fan I’d be stressed.

That he’s going to get injured at a time when he’s needed most, like a stretch run for playoff positioning, or even in the playoffs themselves. Times when players up their play level and push their own limits. 

I understand market value, but Imho I just think he’s not worth it even at a low AAV. Year 2 or year 3 he will visibly decline from the level and style of play he is accustomed to and has had success with. I just can’t see his body keeping up.

You make fair points. I didn't consider his aging body as he goes into his 30s and how that might affect injuries and his recovery time.

• Cheers 1

@kanucks25 - pray tell, how did Benning “whiff” on Hyman?  How do you even know this?  Isn’t it possible that Benning saw what type of term and money Hyman was asking for and simply walked away?  

“Alex Biega is better than Tyler Myers”

”Benning wanted Glass over Pettersson.”

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Elliotte on a new 31 thoughts pod this morning said 40Mish regardless of which term it ends up.

So roughly 5M x 8, or 5.7M x 7.

Glad we aren't in on this.

My point was that Oilers are focusing on a "sign and trade" deal with Toronto , because only in this case Oilers are able to give him 8 years. in addition to that 8 year term would bring down the AAV which is obviously quite helpful in a flat cap world. Toronto of course is not obliged to do a sign & trade. Dubas has made it publicly that TOR would have to get fair value if they do a "sign and trade". Hope this provides necessary clarification.

7 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

@kanucks25 - pray tell, how did Benning “whiff” on Hyman?  How do you even know this?  Isn’t it possible that Benning saw what type of term and money Hyman was asking for and simply walked away?  

“Alex Biega is better than Tyler Myers”

”Benning wanted Glass over Pettersson.”

I don't even want us to sign Hyman...

If he whiffed, I'm glad he did.

• Cheers 2

Lol at Dubas “not bending” on trading Hymans rights, like he has any leverage.

Rather than getting any pick for a player they’re 100% losing he’d rather hold out till Wednesday and get nothing.

Also the Leafs still think scoring depth is their problem. :picard:

• Haha 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

Lol at Dubas “not bending” on trading Hymans rights, like he has any leverage.

Rather than getting any pick for a player they’re 100% losing he’d rather hold out till Wednesday and get nothing.

Also the Leafs still think scoring depth is their problem. :picard:

Yeah losing hyman is huge for them. Why not justvtake the 6th indont get it.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah losing hyman is huge for them. Why not justvtake the 6th indont get it.

We wouldn’t understand his delicate genius.

Its all part of his 150 step plan to build a championship team. 

Three or four more rebuilds and they’ll be right there!

• Haha 2

On 7/23/2021 at 5:03 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

love you sense of humor. Would like TOR to add Holtby as their backup. Holtby retrieving pucks for the Leafs. Would be fun to watch.

Not a bad idea… apparently Rielly may be available…

TOR

Holtby (The guy won a Cup and is only 31)
Virtanen

VAN

Rielly 

25 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Not a bad idea… apparently Rielly may be available…

TOR

Holtby (The guy won a Cup and is only 31)
Virtanen

VAN

Rielly 

Is that a real trade? Rielly is definitely a $7.5-8 Million dollar player. He won't come here for that, not even close.