The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

8 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Unless a RH top 4 Dman or top 10 pick is coming back. Let’s hold off. 

Unless that D man is someone like Ekblad then there’s no way we’re trading him.

Hes key to our offense and a core player. He would be very tough to replace.

Seems like a case of these guys reporting that water is wet.

Of course almost any player can be had, its at what cost?

Boeser ain't going anywhere for less than a stud RH defenseman. Even then, its plugging one hole while creating another

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

After some consideration, I’ve decided that this is the dumbest comment I’ve ever seen on this forum. Way to go!

It was meant to be dumb/sarcastic.  But I'm sure something a Leafs fan would put together.

In all honesty though, I'm starting to lose faith that this management group has what it takes to turn it around.  Hopefully I'm wrong, that this year was a blip and not last year.

(Without having read much/any of the previous postings here) Unless Hyman has expressed a deep desire to play for the Canucks, I'm not so sure that I would pursue him, and certainly not do something like trade for his rights just so the team could get him for a week or so before he moves to free agent status.

Otherwise, I guess he would be an okay top-9/middle-6 kind of guy, fairly physical, gets some points and can play either wing. If he's looking for a big payday (and why wouldn't he?), I don't believe the team can afford him atm.

regards,  G.

• Vintage 2

59 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Doubt it. But, there could be a team out there that's going to lose a top end, youngish Dman to expansion but have room to protect another forward. I want Boeser here but our D needs upgrades. Gotta give to get. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I don't see the connection between the Leafs wanting to trade the signing rights for Hyman, and the speculation that the Canucks would be okay with trading Boeser.

Assuming the Canucks wanted to trade Boeser, do the Leafs really have what the Canucks want/need (personally, I'd be inclined to trade Boeser to Tamp Bay for one of their young RD)? And if there was a trade with the Leafs, Hyman's rights would be nothing more than a throw-in of little to no value... something like, if Hyman signed here (for whatever), the Leafs would get a 7th round pick.

regards,  G.

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Doubt it. But, there could be a team out there that's going to lose a top end, youngish Dman to expansion but have room to protect another forward. I want Boeser here but our D needs upgrades. Gotta give to get. 

Could always do the 8-1, no?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Big mistake by the Leafs letting this happen. Trade Nylander to open up some cap for a real player like Hyman. Or even the unspeakable. Trade AM. Trade AM for a decent young center plus, plus, plus. They would be better off with a home run return for AM. He can shoot, but is easily one of the more overhyped players in the NHL imho.

Nylander and Spezza were the 2 who decided to play in the playoffs this year, it would be a mistake moving Nylander I think, they have to move one of the big 3 imo, those 3 are taking up way too much cap space, they have to move 1 of them I believe. 

So... back to Hyman.

If he was capable of being an effective 3C I can see the logic behind going after him. He would bring a physical element Sutter didn't. 

Maybe they're thinking Hoglander-Hyman-Podkolzin?