The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'll say it again....overpayment is fine but stay away from term. He would round out the team beautifully.

Agreed.

I live in TO and any of my friends who are real Leaf fans and actually knowledgeable about hockey (a contradiction in terms I know. but ex-junior players, coaches etc)

Hyman is each of their favourite player on the team.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, c00kies said:

Yes, usually a team will trade a late pick (like a 4th) for the rights to try to get a deal done before the free agent period starts. Sometimes this backfires and the player won't sign (and thus you lose the assets for nothing), but other times you can get the player to agree to a deal or maybe even a better deal (no competition yet). 

The team that trades the UFA is in a position to get whatever they can for him, since he won't re-sign with them anyway.

I would not offer him 4X4, as I feel he'll end up a bit like David Clarkson.

I do Recall Gillis getting a 4th for trading Erhoffs rights to the Islanders. Isles lost Hoff to free agency and signed that big deal in Buffalo. I recall Hamhuis got his rights traded from Nashville to Philly for a 7th and then when Philly couldn’t sign him traded his rights to the Penguins for a 3rd pick. Hammer ended up coming home and signing with us. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

Just now, nzan said:

Agreed.

I live in TO and any of my friends who are real Leaf fans and actually knowledgeable about hockey (a contradiction in terms I know. but ex-junior players, coaches etc)

Hyman is each of their favourite player on the team.

Absolutely. He isn't sexy but he's a critical piece. We have enough skill we need heart. He is similar to Miller.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Honestly they need an on ice leader who grinds away and gets 45 points.

Think Alex Burrows but bigger and a worse skater.

I said it a month ago

Armia

Hyman

and Boggy

Zing!

There's a few high motor players available: Coleman, Goodrow, Armia, Hyman. Would be great if Benning could land 1 or 2 plus Pods.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

There's a few high motor players available: Coleman, Goodrow, Armia, Hyman. Would be great if Benning could land 1 or 2 plus Pods.

Exactly!

Forward is easy to fix....not so sure on d in my mind it's as bad as it gets.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Could we make space? I dunno maybe?

Our D needs to get looked at first and we have so much cap tied up in guys like Beagle/Roussel/Luongo/Holtby/Eriksson. Not to mention we still need Petey/Hughes and a few other guys re-signed.

Unless we plan on moving our high picks and better prospects nobody will take our cap and do us favors when most of them are in the same boat or will only take cap dumps at that sort of premium. We could buyout but it is not worth it with Eriksson and we'd still have that 2nd year of buyout cap compared to just holding onto them for only 1 year.

So now's not really the time unless we find a bargain buy/sign low deal that's crazy to pass up. A guy like Hyman is gonna have a bidding war.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Our D needs to get looked at first and we have so much cap tied up in guys like Beagle/Roussel/Luongo/Holtby/Eriksson. Not to mention we still need Petey/Hughes and a few other guys re-signed.

Unless we plan on moving our high picks and better prospects nobody will take our cap and do us favors when most of them are in the same boat or will only take cap dumps at that sort of premium. We could buyout but it is not worth it with Eriksson and we'd still have that 2nd year of buyout cap compared to just holding onto them for only 1 year.

So now's not really the time unless we find a bargain buy/sign low deal that's crazy to pass up. A guy like Hyman is gonna have a bidding war.

Oh yea I'd never get into a bidding war if it works so be it.

I'd send Loui to the minors and try and Tampa Bay Beagle and Ferland.

Hopefully expansion takes care of Myers or Holtby.

I don't think Rooster can be traded for a 7th? but he's ok on the 4th line. Not for the coin but he's ok there.

Buyout Jake.

Not sure if that's enough? 

25 minutes ago, babalu said:

He's a good hockey player now. But he is going to get a 6 year deal.

Will he still be worth 6 million a year in years 3 to 6?

Has the potential to LE 2.0.

According to Dom's model he has 6 years of legit top 6 production in him. I'm not saying his model is the be all end all, but it's interesting cause it's usually pretty harsh on older players.

Screenshot_20210715-174141_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e83136d81a3bceb93229c3c498bdc1a8.jpg

So media trying to drum up interest to get an asset for Hyman.  There are other similar type players available as UFA, maybe not with similar offensive ability or numbers as Hyman but are also likely cheaper.  

Martinook, McGinn, Janmark, Goodrow, Coleman etc. etc.  No reason to pay an asset to have negotiating rights unless there is already a deal on the table so to speak.

• Vintage 1

Just now, ‹(•¿•)› said:

According to Dom's model he has 6 years of legit top 6 production in him. I'm not saying his model is the be all end all, but it's interesting cause it's usually pretty harsh on older players.

Screenshot_20210715-174141_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e83136d81a3bceb93229c3c498bdc1a8.jpg

I love the Hyman but he has 4 years tops. Slow feet coming.

2 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Sorry, 5 years by 6 million, 6th year would scare me for sure, but that's mostly Loui flashbacks.

As silly as it sounds I'd seriously consider $6.5 @ 4 years but nothing longer than 4.

I don't like guys over 32.

Please see HR file on Edler haha. Bye bye.

Edited by Chris12345

apparently he would sign with the Laffs for 8yrs @ 5m per with a NMC...and he has had offers north of that apparently if the tweet I saw has any merrit!? Stay away at that price tag imo, not that we have that kind of cash flow. Let him go play with McDavid or something

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Oh yea I'd never get into a bidding war if it works so be it.

I'd send Loui to the minors and try and Tampa Bay Beagle and Ferland.

Hopefully expansion takes care of Myers or Holtby.

I don't think Rooster can be traded for a 7th? but he's ok on the 4th line. Not for the coin but he's ok there.

Buyout Jake.

Not sure if that's enough? 

Still have to sign our youngsters and D. 

Last I heard is that Beagle is ready to go. Seattle has a lot of goalies to choose from. Can't afford to lose Myers unless we get another D. I see Seattle taking Lind or Gadjo. That way they leave us still with cap issues and take a decent prospect on the cusp.

We might have to just suck it up for a year and due minor things like buyout Virtanen and sign cheap UFAs.