The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks-Predators: Nate Schmidt for Colton Sisson + 4th

[proposal] Canucks-Predators:  Nate Schmidt for Colton Sissons + 4th

Why the Canucks do this: 

-Get about 3.1 million in cap space

-Get a long term Sutter and/or Beagle replacement.
-Get a guy that can take on tougher defensive match-ups which can help free up Horvat and Pettersson’s lines

Why the Predators do this:

-They have the cap space

-Possible better fit for Schmidt with Josi and Ellis back there.  

16 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It'd be stupid to sell low on Schmidt.

He can bounce back and we need more quality D-men, not less.

Don’t get me wrong I love Nate Schmidt.  I’m just not 100% sure if he wants to be here if the rumors are true.

Sissons is interesting, but I'd rather wait and see what happens with the expansion draft before moving anyone in or out. Teams may trade players they have to expose but don't want to lose, we may be able to move players to teams who've lost guys they couldn't protect. We could get more from a team who needs a top 4D than Sissons and a 4th. 

It doesn't sound like Schmidt has asked to be moved, and if this is true, keeping him is a fine option too. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why don’t we just keep Schmidt?  

I want to trust me.  I wrote this under the assumption that Vancouver's media has at least *some* degree of personal integrity..........although this might not be the case.  

Although I have always been a fan of freedom of speech, I am also of the opinion that Rick Dhaliwal's employment should immediately be terminated if this whole Nate Schmidt thing was a hoax.   Although Media members are well within their right to speculate and infer, what they are NOT allowed to do is LIE.....and they are not allowed to continue lying once a General Manager of a team has done his best to dismiss rumours (as Benning has now done on two separate occassions with regards to Schmidt).

If this Schmidt rumour was a hoax, I will be starting a petition to have Rick Dhaliwal fired from his job.

• Cheers 1

There's no room for Schmidt in Nashville.   They already have 5 Ds they wish to protect in expansion.   Another veteran D is really the last thing they need in return.

Sissons is likely available but certainly not for a 6M player.  They also don't have the cap space.  They already have 2 massive inefficient contracts in Duchene and Johansen.  They also need to plan for a possible Shea Weber recapture penalty.  

Poile insists he will extend Ekholm who also wants to stay in Nashville. Their D-corps is really set with Ellis/Josi also signed long term and younger players like Fabbro/Carrier still developing.  They need D prospects to take over at one point but not more veteran Ds when they talk of a re-tool to get younger/faster.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

If this Schmidt rumour was a hoax, I will be starting a petition to have Rick Dhaliwal fired from his job.

I don't think he started it, he was just not able to diffuse it or prove it wrong.

Anyway, I do see Schmidt as a tradable asset given this team has a light defense with Hughes, Rathbone and Schmidt. I like this proposal as long as there could be a defensive defender coming cabck through some means, be it UFA or trade.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Both Friedman and Drance say that Schmidt hasn't asked for a trade.  Benning insists that he hasn't asked for a trade.  Looks like everyone is saying the same thing.

Hasn't quite been the best fit and both sides don't have to get to the point of asking for a trade to know that it might help to move on.  And if there's nothing they can still continue to try and make it work in Vancouver as there hasn't been a trade request. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

Both Friedman and Drance say that Schmidt hasn't asked for a trade.  Benning insists that he hasn't asked for a trade.  Looks like everyone is saying the same thing.

Hasn't quite been the best fit and both sides don't have to get to the point of asking for a trade to know that it might help to move on.  And if there's nothing they can still continue to try and make it work in Vancouver as there hasn't been a trade request. 

for sure thats all true. It wouldn't surprise me to see Nate in some kind of deal that comes up between now and free agency, I'm sure there are a number of teams that would/could use Nate effectively. 

Biggest issue for me with him is how Baumer used him, not in the results of a very weird year. 

• Cheers 1

An inside source of mine (whom I’m not allowed to name, and who gives me very surface level info. Anyways) thinks that the Nate Schmidt situation is still a thing:

”Why do you think Jim is refuting it? It’s all leverage. Like I said before the season ended, both sides will explore a change but know it’s tough so there’s a chance he comes back. So Jim and the team’s camp don’t want make it a messy situation because as much as Nate might want a change he’s open to coming back and so is the team if they can’t find a deal.

If he admits Nate wants out and says they’re looking to trade him, it becomes an untenable situation heading into next seaosn if they can’t find a deal.”